Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 01:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Is your child handicapped?is he/she doing well in grades?
I have a niece who did well until everyone reaches puberty,then there is petty jealousy,gossips-what does your father do for a living>what kind of house do you live in>where did you buy your designer clothese? .
I believe OP is the child in question and deeply resents his parents trying to extricate him from his room when he was overindulging in online activities and being a basic lump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 06:55 PM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Just for the record - My kids never had a TV or video games in their bedroom. It was in the living room where they had to interact with family.
Nor did mine. I have never understood why anyone would do that. Makes no sense to me.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:19 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
If your child had no friends, how would that make you feel?

My parents never seemed to mind. Or notice.
Toys were my best friends. What can I say? I prefered to groom my imagination playing with toys in my room, to playing with other kids out in the street.

The downside is that I lacked social development all my life. I never learned to read people's body language and am a terrible judge of character. I think it is important for young children to interract and learn social development. No bid deal, but I never did that and missed out on key learning necessary to interact in society.

Don't get me wrong. I am nice and have always played nice with others. I like most people and am easy going. I was always the guy at work picked to work with all of the insufferable asses nobody else at work would deal with.

My lack of social development didn't cause me to be an anti-social monster as much as I think it made me too naive and too trusting. It has definitely made my life difficult at times as I can set myself up by being too trusting. Unfortunately this means, if you breach my trust one single time, I am completely done with you. Once burned, I don't give 2nd chances. People with superior social development from a young age than me, probably are better than me at negotiating relationships on every level from platonic to professional to intimate.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:58 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
Let's say your child had no friends. He or she is always by themselves, they spend a lot of time in their room watching TV, playing video games, or on their cell phone. They don't have anyone to go out or hangout with. How would you respond to that?

Would you criticize them? Would you try to help them?
Is he an only child? My mother was, so she developed a personality and had friends, so she'd have someone to play with. She kept them thru high school, so always had friends to share with.

I'd feel bad about my child, if he had no friends. Because something's wrong. There's a chance he's being bullied and will never admit it because it's embarrassing to admit that.

I'd try to get him involved in group or extracurricular activities. Sports, debate, 4-H, whatever his interests are and that he may be good at. Band would be okay, but I was in band, so I know the kids don't necessarily become friends because they are playing music and not interacting among themselves.

I'd start him on these things gradually, since it'll be a change for him.

If things don't change, I'd consider therapy, but only as a last resort. Just knowing you think he needs therapy will have an effect on him. But a therapist may be able to find out what he won't tell you.

You could also speak to a couple of his teachers to see if he interacts with the other kids in class, participates in class, acts normally.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Is he an only child? My mother was, so she developed a personality and had friends, so she'd have someone to play with. She kept them thru high school, so always had friends to share with.

I'd feel bad about my child, if he had no friends. Because something's wrong. There's a chance he's being bullied and will never admit it because it's embarrassing to admit that.

I'd try to get him involved in group or extracurricular activities. Sports, debate, 4-H, whatever his interests are and that he may be good at. Band would be okay, but I was in band, so I know the kids don't necessarily become friends because they are playing music and not interacting among themselves.

I'd start him on these things gradually, since it'll be a change for him.

If things don't change, I'd consider therapy, but only as a last resort. Just knowing you think he needs therapy will have an effect on him. But a therapist may be able to find out what he won't tell you.

You could also speak to a couple of his teachers to see if he interacts with the other kids in class, participates in class, acts normally.
OP does not have any children.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Toys were my best friends. What can I say? I prefered to groom my imagination playing with toys in my room, to playing with other kids out in the street.

The downside is that I lacked social development all my life. I never learned to read people's body language and am a terrible judge of character.
So you were not exposed to any other people or relationships? No parents, siblings, schoolmates, relatives, neighbors etc. to model social interactions? You never attended preschool or K-12?

Babies typically learn facial expressions and body language by age 8-10 months through interaction with parents/caregivers. Did you not have that either?

If you were played with, cared for, etc. with normal parenting experiences as a baby and small child, you should have picked up those skills at the same time as your peers. If not there may be neurological differences. Were you ever screened for autism?

Old 06-13-2022, 09:29 AM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I'd never allow all the electronics in the bedroom. The bedroom is for sleeping.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:32 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
Let's say your child had no friends. He or she is always by themselves, they spend a lot of time in their room watching TV, playing video games, or on their cell phone. They don't have anyone to go out or hangout with. How would you respond to that?

Would you criticize them? Would you try to help them?
Criticize? Are you serious? TALK TO THEM.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:56 AM

402 posts, read 276,287 times
First, ask them how they feel. And then depending on their age, first ask their teacher if they have friends in school. They may very well be an introvert or not at that age yet where they feel the need to see their friends outside of school. If the child was like a complete hermit though and never made any inclination that they needed friends at all, then I would be concerned..

Also, get them involved in SOMETHING..doesn't have to be sports..

Old 06-19-2022, 03:42 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,863,511 times
If my child weren't lonely and okay with it, then I'd be okay with it. But I'd be concerned still because I don't know if that could lead to problems later down like it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting