Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 11:52 AM

700 posts, read 446,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post

I guess what I'm trying to say is to not borrow trouble that isn't necessarily there.
Very good advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 03:25 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would think that would, if anything, further delay speech; why would they be motivated to speak if they can (continue to) get their needs and wants met without speaking?
That's a fair question, and I don't have an answer to that. But I've known a few mothers who've taught even their babies some sign language, and it works. (shrugs shoulders.) It seems to cut down on a lot of frustration for both the mom and the child.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Even before sign language became trendy, I knew mothers who simply GAVE their kids everything they could possibly want or at least constantly asked, "Do you want this? Do you want that?" All they had to do was shake or nod their heads. If there's a delay, I'd think you'd incentivize speaking instead of making it easy not to.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:39 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
I would think that would, if anything, further delay speech; why would they be motivated to speak if they can (continue to) get their needs and wants met without speaking?
Just as children can easily learn multiple spoken languages when their minds are especially plastic, teaching a child to sign while continuing to speak and interact with them doesn't slow them down much if at all when it comes to the acquisition of language.

The key is to teach them how to sign while at the same time letting them hear and see others speak; encouraging them to "use their words" as developmentally appropriate rather than say, letting them point at the object of whatever has taken their fancy or preemptively giving them said object without having them make the effort to verbally communicate their wishes.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
And you would be wrong

https://www.educationalplaycare.com/...%20or%20hungry.

The use of sign language has proven to be beneficial for children in a wide variety of settings. Teaching sign language to preverbal babies has proven to benefit children in their later years. Research shows that sign language speeds up speech development, reduces frustration in young children by giving them a means to express themselves before they know how to talk, increases parent-child bonding, and lets babies communicate vital information, such as if they are hurt or hungry.

https://www.gracesigns.org/post/usin...%20context.%20

Here are some reasons and ways for using sign language to assist with speech development and hearing challenges.

Improve communication. When signing, body language is used and an array of emotions can be more clearly expressed and understood. For instance with the sign for “mad,” the face is scrunched up with the hand in a front-facing claw position.

Reduce frustration. For those who may have hearing-impairment or speech and/or learning challenges, sign language offers the opportunity to be more communicative.

Increase brain functionality. Studies show that sign language increases brain activity. A Study by Capirici, Cattani, et. al. found that learning sign language could actually improve cognition (intelligence) in typically developing, hearing children.

Start with meaningful signs. Signs like “eat,” “drink,” “potty,” “tired,” “all done,” “friend” and “stop” help with functional communication.

Use signs in context. When someone is eating, introduce the sign for “eat,” so they understand the action and the sign that goes with it.

Vocalize when signing to encourage speech. Try to use signs to support speech and language development, not as a substitute for speech. Always speak and sign.

Decrease yes/no questions. Instead of asking, “do you want milk?,” offer a choice. For instance, “do you want water or milk?,” signing and saying both words. Wait for a response.

Show it, Sign it and Say it. Some people may not remember the label or action when it’s only signed and spoken. The person stands a better chance of understanding the sign and the word in context if visually shown the object. Say the name and demonstrate it in sign language:

Show them the object or a picture.

Demonstrate the sign for the item or action.

Verbalize the name of the object.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:41 PM

Okay... But instead of having them sign AND vocalize, why not just have them vocalize?

Old 06-15-2022, 04:46 PM

700 posts, read 446,770 times
Quote:
Okay... But instead of having them sign AND vocalize, why not just have them vocalize?
Did you read what that person posted?

For someone having trouble vocalizing, there's no "why not just have them vocalize." That's precisely what's not working!

Signing appears to be a bridge toward improved vocal skills.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Did you read what that person posted?

For someone having trouble vocalizing, there's no "why not just have them vocalize." That's precisely what's not working!
Yes, I did. I read "always speak and sign." Several times throughout that post.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:42 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
If he is, it's not profound autism & the quicker he gets evaluated & services in place, the better chance he has for growth & development.

My son has "classic" autism. Regressive, severe autism.

He developed normally & was very interactive & using words up until 2 days after his 2nd birthday. He got a fever that night (many here know why) & got really fussy. Started screaming. His words started sounding like a deaf person who "mouths" words while they sign. His voice had that odd, flat tone. He developed a strange, sandpaper, bright cherry rash on his cheeks & a look of abject fear in his eyes. Like he knew. He knew his body & mind has been injured & he was trapped in it.

By 2.5 years he was completely "feral". Head banging, howling, screeching, angry, would put his toys in a pile & crawl into them, covered his head with a blanket to rock & scream. Shelves with "things" on them would go crashing to the floor. Sofas & tables would be toppled. He'd try to get to a door to run & I'd sit there for hours just trying to block him while he'd crash into me over & over. Actual gates, bolted into the wall would be torn out, leaving a drywall rubble on the stairs. Had to take out the railing & build a wall. He'd slam himself into glass windows trying to break out. Like he thought he could outrun whatever was attacking him. By age 4, his autistic meltdowns would literally shake the house so hard you could hear it a block away with the windows closed.

After a LOT of research I decided to NOT treat with psychotropic medications & we hit a period of growth around age 10, when he found some words & finally graduated from diapers. Then came puberty & a complex interaction between hormones & neurotransmitters caused the aggression to flare.

He is now a 6'5", 318 lb teenage male with a natural form of Roid Rage. This is profound autism & this is my life. He's been diagnosed with PANS (Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome) which means his autism was induced by an atypical immune mediated response & treatment is geared towards reducing neuroinflammation.

If your nephew starts showing any behaviors like what I described above, he needs not only the evaluation & early childhood intervention for autism but an evaluation by an Immunologist or Neurologist who specializes in PANDAS/PANS to get the most help available.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:37 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
If he is, it's not profound autism & the quicker he gets evaluated & services in place, the better chance he has for growth & development.

He developed normally & was very interactive & using words up until 2 days after his 2nd birthday. He got a fever that night (many here know why) & got really fussy. Started screaming. His words started sounding like a deaf person who "mouths" words while they sign. His voice had that odd, flat tone. He developed a strange, sandpaper, bright cherry rash on his cheeks & a look of abject fear in his eyes. Like he knew. He knew his body & mind has been injured & he was trapped in it.
I am very sorry to hear.

My husband's coworker's son had exactly the same experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting