Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:15 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times

Advertisements

I never thought I would consider myself old-fashioned, or to use the phrases my parent's used such as "in my day" but times have changed so much since I was a teen of the seventies that I find myself using these words often. For example, unless you live in the Biblebelt, do you have any idea what is going on at high school dances? The trend now is something called grinding and it is the normal thing to do now. Boy behind girl rubbing up against her. Kids dance alone or with friends and if you see someone that you want to "dance" with you go up and they give you the nod of ok or no. If ok, you proceed to grind...with total strangers!!!!! Girls come up to the boys now and ask if they want to make out, not just dance! My son went to a big dance last night with about 800 local kids from middle school through high school held for charity, but the main the event is knowing you will make out with strangers. Five girls invited my son to make out. I'm afraid to ask what make out means...that meaning might have changed also!! I'll ask when he gets up. My son is only 14 and this is going on with middle school girls too! Mind you we do not live in a trashy area, but a suburb of Boston in an area with some of the best high schools in the state but none of this factors in with this situation. It's all teens everywhere! I don't even think they know how to dance anymore!? And the schools don't do anything to stop this behaviour. I guess as long as there are no fights, drugs or drinking they are fine with it. What is going on????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 09:26 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Oh, this is going on in the Bible Belt, too. Many schools are trying to stop it, by cancelling dances or punishing kids who do it. However, I have a middle school boy in private school and this does not happen at his school dances at all. The girls dance together. The boys don't dance at all and there is an adult for about every 2 kids there and it's over at 9:00pm. I think around here it is more of a high school thing, not middle school. Grinding has been in the news for several years now.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:43 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i am embarrassed just listening to this...and i am young. how can they do it in front of other people, especially parents and teachers?! is modesty completely gone?
i worry what might be in vogue when its my baby's turn! he is only 2 now.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
inspected g'daughters cell phone last night.....found a txt message from a guy askin her "so, ya gonna let me hit it?" [I may be older n dirt but even I know what that means....] fortunately for her she replied "NO" so she is still among the living....altho scarred for life because she has to live "Cellphoneless" for a VERRRRY long time.....

Old 05-24-2008, 01:19 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
inspected g'daughters cell phone last night.....found a txt message from a guy askin her "so, ya gonna let me hit it?" [I may be older n dirt but even I know what that means....] fortunately for her she replied "NO" so she is still among the living....altho scarred for life because she has to live "Cellphoneless" for a VERRRRY long time.....
omg--i just started to laugh out loud about how she is still amoung the living--good one!

omg, this is how men ask women now--i am convinced romance is dead

Old 05-24-2008, 02:54 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Oh, they used to do "grinding" back in my high school/college days. My cousin and I would give guys the elbow to their chest which was a signal for "back off creep." Ick. Grosses me out just thinking about it...

Old 05-24-2008, 02:59 PM

So how far back in your high school days are we talking? Obviously, I haven't been to a school dance since dinasours roamed the earth. But when did kids stop dancing face to face and how did this kind of dancing start? Do they even bother slow dancing anymore?

Old 05-24-2008, 04:37 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
That's it! I've a nearly 3-year-old and a 1-year-old, and these girls are going to be stuffed into a closet where I know they'll be safe and "grind-free" until they're 18. In all seriousness, that's the kind of stuff I would see from adults in clubs. But, not the kissing part. Well, at least not at the clubs I went to.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:48 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
We are moving out of state next month....my 12 yr old is going from a private school with 36 kids in the 6th grade to a public school (though good one) with 400 6th graders. I am now very, very nervous.....

Old 05-24-2008, 06:48 PM

This doesn't have anything to do with this particular topic but since I started it.....in the first grade girls were already being "forward" with boys. In the third grade a girl took my son to the "kissing tree" at school and would call him late at night. Do you know how embarrassing it is to have to call the mother of a 9 year old and tell her what her daughter has been up to and ask her to stop calling our house so late? All I got was how her daughter is a good Christian girl and goes to church on Sundays. Same daughter got my son's number when we moved to Mass. two years later and called him long distance, without mom knowing of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting