Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 11:24 AM

747 posts, read 567,574 times

Advertisements

I am no expert, but if she opens her own shop in a nice neighborhood without a lot of competition, she will do okay if she is willing to work a great many hours, or until she has a large following. I know an owner who lives upstairs of her shop. I don't think she went to a school. Learned on the job.

a pleasant winning personality goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 12:07 PM

129 posts, read 78,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Hello all,

I know I'm going to get beat up in here but I guess I'm coming because I'm prepared for it. My daughter is a freshman in high school and is really smart. Does well on school work and is very conscientious about her schooling over all. I come from a family that generally values education and doing our best. To be clear on that, we are no way academic scholars. But like I said we try hard and work to get the best grade we can get.

My daughter wants to be a hair dresser/ cosmetologist. She has wigs in her room that she likes to mess around with. I get it, it may be a passion. Or she may grow out of it. My issue is I don't think they are overly paid well, not necessarily in need for the future and frankly I'd rather her get a more professional type job/career. I know you don't need a BS to be a hair stylist for example. Am I over analyzing this? I guess I just need to stay positive. It seems when I offer other professions there is no interest. Ugh. I know she is young still but I also know this will continue to creep up. Let me have it, I deserve it.... let me know your thoughts on my situation.

Thanks!
They make quite a bit of money and they will always be in demand they always have been and always will be women wanting to change their hair.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:20 PM

3,053 posts, read 1,505,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
She's a freshman in high school. Next year or even next month, it'll be something else — unless you chip away at her by constantly telling her why she shouldn't be a stylist; that could just make her stick to her guns when otherwise she might not.

This doesn't have to be a nowhere profession. If she's got serious talent and half a brain, she should be able to make it pay pretty well.
good advice to the OP

Old 08-30-2022, 01:59 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,415,214 times
Her interest are likely to change, but in a couple of years if she is still interested in that as a career, then point out to her that she is better off to prepare herself for a successful shop/ salon and that means business administration classes at college.

Most likely at some point she will realize that is is her hobby, not how she is going to make a living.

On the third hand, if that is what she really wants to do, don't try to force her into the career that you want for yourself.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:17 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,842,216 times
Hairdressers in high end salons make good money. Some go back to school for business classes to get some knowledge to open their own salons.

And having a BS is no guarantee she'll get a good paying job.

Quite frankly, a good hairdresser is hard to find and people are incredibly loyal ... it's a good living. With good hours. Extra money doing weddings/proms. A cut and color in my area is $150.

I would't discourage it. Not a bad gig, if it's something she really likes and is good at it. If she's bad at it ... then no way. She'll never make a good living.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:23 PM

13,261 posts, read 7,671,485 times
10 THINGS I WISH I KNEW BEFORE I WENT TO BEAUTY SCHOOL
https://hairpros.edu/10-things-wish-...beauty-school/

Old 08-30-2022, 03:27 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,172,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Out of all my daughter's friends who still live in southern California, only one has bought a home. The hairdresser. On her own, not married yet.

One of my friends has had her own salon for many years. She has a wonderful life and family. Her career choice hasn't hurt her at all.
exactly - does the mom not know how much it costs to get a color and cut!!!

Old 08-30-2022, 03:53 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,764,828 times
I agree with those who say leave her be.

My sister was a cosmetologist (hair and makeup) and was making $100,000 a year until she retired 5 years ago. Did a lot of work in the NY entertainment industry.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:55 PM

613 posts, read 1,008,380 times
Certainly it's a legitimate career choice. It's an art she can combine with the science/art of entrepreneurship if she wants. Aesthetics is one of five branches of philosophy; it's important. Food growers and builders keep us alive and safe. But artists make it all worthwhile.

AND I'll bet if you engage her in the subject (her current passion) together you could explore related skills/knowledge/fields and she might conceive of several other career options, as well. This might be stretching it, but picture the two of you discussing the tensile qualities or the reflectivity of hair....there you are in materials science and she decides to be an engineer! Engage and encourage her. Whatever you do, don't judge or discourage her. Now that I think of it, when I was her age I wasn't too concerned with my future; it sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders. Goals - those things...

Old 08-30-2022, 05:21 PM

87,977 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Hello all,

I know I'm going to get beat up in here but I guess I'm coming because I'm prepared for it. My daughter is a freshman in high school and is really smart. Does well on school work and is very conscientious about her schooling over all. I come from a family that generally values education and doing our best. To be clear on that, we are no way academic scholars. But like I said we try hard and work to get the best grade we can get.

My daughter wants to be a hair dresser/ cosmetologist. She has wigs in her room that she likes to mess around with. I get it, it may be a passion. Or she may grow out of it. My issue is I don't think they are overly paid well, not necessarily in need for the future and frankly I'd rather her get a more professional type job/career. I know you don't need a BS to be a hair stylist for example. Am I over analyzing this? I guess I just need to stay positive. It seems when I offer other professions there is no interest. Ugh. I know she is young still but I also know this will continue to creep up. Let me have it, I deserve it.... let me know your thoughts on my situation.

Thanks!
Why do you want her ti do something "more professional"? To impress others? To satisfy some ego thing in you using your daughter in seeing your daughter as an extension of yourself?

Questions only you can answer.

A hair stylist can make some good money. In times of recession, hair salons still do well. Women will cut back on other luxuries but pay for hair care. It IS a profession and not one to be ashamed of.

My friend wanted her daughter to go to the community college and get some type of medical technician degree. The kid hated it. She dropped out and ended up going to cosmetology school, took her state exam and got her license. She is doing very well at a high-end salon in an affluent area.

I think you have to take a serious look at yourself and your reasons for wanting to steer your daughter from something for which she has an obvious passion and maybe natural talent.

You are not alone in wanting something for your kid that has more to do with you than they. John Cleese's parents wanted him to be the headmaster of the local prestigious private school. Even after he gained fame and wealth as a comedic actor and a motivational speaker, they let him know that they were disappointed in his decision not to pursue a career in academia!

I know a Pakistani-American who got a degree in political science and works in public service. He has made jokes about having to lie to extended family back in Pakistan about being a doctor or engineer so they don't disown him.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-30-2022 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting