Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Any parent ever try the cuss jar? When I was about 8 or so, my mother noticed she'd developed a bit of a potty mouth. She decided to clean up her act and enlisted my help. Well, let me tell you, I was relentless.

"Damn!" she'd say.

"Quarter!!!" I'd squeal.

"Oh, sh-t!" she'd say, growing angrier.

"Quarter!!!" I'd squeal again.

"G-d d-mn it, stop it already!!!" She'd be ready to explode by now.

"Now you owe me 75 cents!!!"

The cuss jar lasted maybe a week, if that long . To this day, the potty mouth remains but I must admit, it has toned down quite a bit.
Wait! YOU got the money? Interesting spin on the swear jar--m'thinks I like it.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
When my boys were little we didnt have the cuss jar, but did have a fart jar everytime they cut one they had to put money in the jar. If filled up pretty quick.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
It was because of my father that from the ages of seven to fifteen, I thought that my name was Jesus Christ and my brother, Russell, thought that his name was Dammit. "Dammit, will you stop all that noise?" And, "Jesus Christ, sit down!" One day, I'm out playing in the rain, and my father yelled, "Dammit will you get back in here!" I said, "Dad, I'm Jesus Christ!" Bill Cosby

Last edited by drjones96; 06-04-2008 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,566 times
my mom swears at me when i talk back to her or do something wrong......but sometimes when she swears it makes me laugh .i feel bad sometimes she has been doing it since i was like maybe 4 or 3 she is nice mostly but can be aggressive.I keep telling her "stop mom your not supposed to swear at kids" shes like i can do what i want because im the boss.Sometimes im like shut the f*** up mother im tired of you swearing at me all my damn life.One time i pointed a knife at her.she sometimes spanks me when im really bad i try to calm her down but it does not work.i dont mine when she swears for jokes because that makes me laugh.But when she swears and is serious ? i get scared.She sometimes cries and stuff and does mad faces sometimes.I have to do a plan so then maybe she will calm down

Old 08-15-2010, 03:08 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart;3971373

[QUOTE
]The other day I was working on roof on rental house in a let's say a economically depressed neighborHOOD.
Cursing isn't a class thing. I'm friends with a upper middle class female -- her and hubs curse at the kids. Just a little azz or damn.

I don't think you're a bad parent, if you cuss those little fckers.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:20 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times
I know plenty of people who have multiple degrees and respectable jobs who swear. They don't swear at work or in church, but they swear in their personal lives. Curse words are just words, and sometimes nothing else can communicate the precise meaning.

Swearing at children, no. That's not appropriate, but I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional minor swear in front of children (h*ll, d*mn, sh*t). To me, there are words that are far more offensive and damaging than swear words, fat (used to describe a person) is one example, or ethnic or racial slurs, or hate speech directed at gay, lesbian, or transgendered people. I'd rather hear my children say sh*t than f*g.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
It is born of frustration on the part of parents who have no authority and are given no respect by their kids. They try to do their best, they want the bets for their kids but....

Old 08-15-2010, 05:16 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
My sister in law cuss at her kids which I find it to be truly annoying and disrespectful. She does come from a family of cussing while my family doesn't so there is some kind of conflict. Now my nephew says the F word, can't completely say it, but he's getting there... When he does say it, he gets "slap" in the mouth for saying it.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:16 PM

197 posts, read 549,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBadget View Post
A few days ago, while I was waiting for the city bus to get home from grocery shopping, I noticed a boy running into the street and his parents cussing at him to get his attention and make him get off the street and on the bench to wait for the bus. I don't agree with parents cussing at their kids because they're teaching the kids that it's OK to cuss and that cussing is the way to solve problems. An appropriate way to get the child off the street is to firmly, but without cussing, tell the child to immediately get off the street, grabbing the child if need be. Cussing is verbal violence. Just like you don't need to beat a child to get his or her attention, you don't need to cuss at the child. You can just say, "Get off the street right now!!! It's dangerous!!!" There's a good chance that you need to grab the child to get him or her off the street.
i have seen this TOO MANY times...just shows that the parent is a worthles low class idiot that should not be a parent or even a animal owner.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:17 PM

197 posts, read 549,324 times
[quote=Childfree35;15485234][quote=Davart;3971373

Cursing isn't a class thing. I'm friends with a upper middle class female -- her and hubs curse at the kids. Just a little azz or damn.

I don't think you're a bad parent, if you cuss those little fckers.
[/QUOTE]

neither does money make you classy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting