Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:54 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times

Advertisements

This will be my last thread for a while, I've created like 5 in this section.

I work at a clinic. I usually get all the information an document it in our computer system file.

Anyhow, for a 16 year old boy, his was about to be examined(I'm in the other room) and the doctor asked him if he wanted his mother in the room or not and he said no, but she said "No, I'll stay".
The Boy would not begin the examination until she left, so the doctor asked her to wait outside.

So, what's your opinion on this matter?
Who was Right? This was a checkup.
This mainly pertains to parents of teenagers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
For teens, I think parents should stay out. Just thinking back to when I was a teen.. there were some things a doc needed to know about that I would have never disclosed if either of my parents were in the room. Plus, as a teen I would have not have been comfortable getting undressed around my parents (assuming the visit entailed that)

Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
When my children were young teenagers the doctor usually did the exam part & then asked the child if they wanted to talk to him in private and they never did. When they were older teens (15 and older) the doctor specifically asked me (the mother) to step out of the room so he could talk to them in private/answer questions/etc. Sometimes I would be called back inside in 30 seconds and sometimes in a couple of minutes. I assumed the doctor was asking them about sex & drugs. I was glad that the doctor took the time to see if they had any questions that they didn't want to ask in front of Mom.

I was not present (and didn't want to be present) when my daughter started going to the gynecologist or if my son needed an exam of his private areas.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:44 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I have to say that I didn't even think about this until earlier this year. My son is 15 and is on medication that requires a visit every 3 months. Earlier this year it dawned on me that maybe he would prefer I do not go in the room. So I asked him if he would prefer I wait in the lobby or outside the room. He seemed surprised I offered and asked why. I explained that he might want some privacy. He shrugged and said umm..I think you have seen me in my underwear before. I then had to explain that the Dr. will be looking at his private parts. He thought for a moment and said, well you cant see anything. That is true, the way the Dr. stands in front of him, I can't see anything if I tried. I usually flip through a magazine and let the Dr. talk to him and then the Dr. will ask my opinion about whatever. I thought about this and realized that my mother never took me to the Dr. when I was a teen. She just wasn't good about our healthcare and only took us when we were really ill. When I went on birth control at 18 I made the appt myself. So it just didn't occur to me until this year that maybe my son was bothered by me going in with him. So far he isn't. I will continue to offer the option to my son as he may at some point want the privacy.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Do I have to be? I hate taking my kids to all medical and dental appointments. And the orthodontist is even worse. I wait outside, unless they want me there, ugh. I always tried to farm this out to their Dad. I am a major Bad Mother!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I haven't stayed in the exam room for some years now ~ my son is 17. Teen-agers definitely need some privacy depending on the nature of the doctor visit.

That's my opinion anyway.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I stay in the room until the doc mentions the private parts exam, and he asks the boys if they want me to leave. I step outside, it takes about 30 seconds, then I go back in.

They need to learn that it is their bodies and they have a say in their care.

What really has gotten out of control in our area is dentists who won't let parents come back at first with kids as young as 5-7.

When we changed dentists years ago, they called my youngest son in, who was 5 at the time, and I stood up to go back with him. The assistant said in a sing-song voice, "Mom, we'll ask you to wait here until I come to get you!"

I said, You mean I don't go back with him? And she said, "It's our policy to have the parents wait outside until after the cleaning is over."

I said, "Well, he's only 5 and I'm his advocate, and it's my policy to go with him." I just walked back with them and sat on a chair off to the side. Of course, it seemed like the other hygienists kept giving me the bad look the whole time but I did not care.

My mom always worked in dentistry for my entire life, and I know for a fact that they cannot keep me out when my minor child is getting care (unless it's surgery). I guess some parents may get too involved in the process, but I am not one of those parents, and my kid is not a kid that throws a fit in the dental chair.

Older kids need a say; young kids need a parent's presence, even if just to answer questions the kids don't know how to answer.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post

So, what's your opinion on this matter?
My opinion on the matter is you need to read the HIPAA Security Rule.

Just sayin'. Because you are thisclose to violating his privacy rights under HIPAA.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
When I've taken teenage exchange students to the doctor (I'm their host mom, and their "mom" for the year), I've asked. Once a student said yes, normally they say no. IMO, at 13 or 14 years of age, they should be able to be alone with the doctor if they so choose. If a teen wanted me in there, even at older ages, and even for a gynecological appt, I wouldn't say no, though. Whatever makes them more comfortable.

My kids are 11 and 9, and I go in with them. I anticipate that my son will start going in alone within the next few years; this year, I actually have some questions, so I definitely want to go in with him, or at least be called in afterwards, if he asks to go in by himself.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My opinion on the matter is you need to read the HIPAA Security Rule.

Just sayin'. Because you are thisclose to violating his privacy rights under HIPAA.
Um. There is no name mentioned, no town, no state, no name of the clinic. I hardly think any HIPAA rules are being violated by the anonymous poster writing vaguely about an anonymous patient, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting