Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 11:40 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

10 Boys VS 10 Girls Were Left Unsupervised In A House For 5 Days & The Results Were Wildly Different

The social experiment monitored 10 boys and 10 girls alone in a house and tracked their behavior and interactions.

The purpose of the documentary was to keep track of kids as they were left unsupervised in a home over the course of five days.

https://www.yourtango.com/news/docum...experiment?amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 12:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Well, we know which gender matures earliest. Nothing new there.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:32 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
If I read that correctly, the experiment was done 20 years ago in the UK. That's a long time ago. I don't know if it's politically correct now to even comment on any differences between genders.

I think if we did that now, they'd all be on their phones and forget to feed themselves.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:42 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
If I read that correctly, the experiment was done 20 years ago in the UK. That's a long time ago. I don't know if it's politically correct now to even comment on any differences between genders.

I think if we did that now, they'd all be on their phones and forget to feed themselves.
Funny! You may be right on both counts. But I"m thinking, that one reason the girls' choices were very different, is that they were instructed in cooking (as were the boys), and we don't know if any other guidance or instruction or suggestions were made in addition to cooking. But the girls actually followed through. IOW, they took the "training" seriously. They did what they were told, instead of forgetting all about it, viewing it as irrelevant.
So with that small foundation of structure provided to them, they took it further once they were on their own. At least one or two of the girls applied experience to the experiment, that they'd learned or observed at home: mom made chore lists for her kids at home (we can assume), so they did that when thrown into this "housekeeping" situation with a group of strangers.

It's very interesting. It shows, for one thing, that (some) girls absorb information and skills from their home environment by casual observation, and retain that info. They're learning to "adult" without even being conscious of it. A few of the boys may have such influences in their passive awareness, but maybe when they get together as a group, group dynamics take over, and the focus is on the freedom to have fun and do whatever they want in the absence of adult supervision. Maybe they all want to "fit in" with the group, and the way to do that instinctively is not to start creating rules or playing "house".

Old 01-09-2023, 11:43 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Yeah, I agree ^^^
Very good observation.
It doesn't really matter if the experiment was done 20 years ago. Some dynamics prevail for a long time.

What do you think would be different nowadays?

Old 01-09-2023, 01:35 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I remember I said once at work around 2014 that boys seem to be more wild than girls in terms of behavior. Someone I work with who was pansexual and very liberal seemed offended. Whatever. I think studies have shown that boys tend to have ADD and can't sit as still as girls do in the classroom. Comparing my own kids my son was definitely the more active one and he still is now at 8.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:54 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
Lord of the Flies vs Herland.
Women and girls are better leaders.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:01 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah, I agree ^^^
Very good observation.
It doesn't really matter if the experiment was done 20 years ago. Some dynamics prevail for a long time.

What do you think would be different nowadays?
20 years ago the children were not learning about choosing their own genders or gay marriage. It's a very sensitive topic right now, even though many of us may agree that this old study did show differences in this situation between genders. But like the above poster said, if you start throwing out these generalities you're going to offend some folks that don't believe girls and boys are different.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:28 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
20 years ago the children were not learning about choosing their own genders or gay marriage. It's a very sensitive topic right now, even though many of us may agree that this old study did show differences in this situation between genders. But like the above poster said, if you start throwing out these generalities you're going to offend some folks that don't believe girls and boys are different.
Of course boys and girls are different - no one trained in psychology or most any social science would say differently. However, what's interesting is how much of those difference are due to biological influences versus environmental/societal influences. Not even one or the other, but the combination.

In this example it seems the boys didn't internalize the need for or importance of cooking...neither did they seem to bring any of their "home" experiences with them. Why not? Did they not feel that any of those home experiences related to them specifically? That it was all stuff that women/girls did and didn't apply to them or should matter to them? They surely knew about them but didn't apply or behave or act in all those ways they'd experienced at home. Did they think it was just stuff that only adults concerned themselves with or just women/girls?

The girls apparently brought a lot of their knowledge and experiences with them and more than that, applied them to a new situation beyond their original home life where they first learned them. Rather than feeling free of responsibilites of cooking and cleaning up after themselves, they did those things without being told by adults where the boys, without adult supervision just did whatever they wanted and were actually destructive.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:35 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Lord of the Flies by William Golding tells you all you need to know about boys left alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting