Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 01:25 PM

423 posts, read 265,753 times

Advertisements

What is the right time to transition a child’s bedroom to another purpose?

I’m leaning toward when the child graduates college and moves most of their stuff out of the family home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 01:40 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Mine is still in High School but that time sounds about right.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
For us it has been when they got their own place on a lease. College dorms are not the same as renting an apartment or house. Since we are still in this house and they have bought their own, their rooms are now used as guest rooms for the grandkids when they stay over.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:51 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
With my three sons, it was after they married, or signed a lease ( or mortgage statement) with a significant other. Three empty bedrooms here, I miss my guys.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:57 PM

6,852 posts, read 4,850,706 times
I suppose it depends on whether or not you want them to come back.

Old 11-12-2022, 01:05 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,740,815 times
When I bought our retirement home I choose to have extra bedrooms just in case my son ran into hard times. I told him there would always be a place for him here. (Also because eventually my wife and I are going to need assistance.) I made sure there's enough room in case grandchildren happen.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:08 PM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
When I bought our retirement home I choose to have extra bedrooms just in case my son ran into hard times. I told him there would always be a place for him here. (Also because eventually my wife and I are going to need assistance.) I made sure there's enough room in case grandchildren happen.
Same for us! We brought a retirement home with three bedrooms - one for each of my kids. Hard times happen, divorce happens, old age assistance happens.

Two/three generations living together was pretty common in my family. My great grandparents & a great aunt purchased a two family house. All the cousins grew up living next door. My married aunts took in their widowed mothers. Those cousins were lucky enough to see grandma everyday.

I know this isn't as common now, but I have fond memories of it. I wouldn't necessary want my kids to have to move back. I would rather have them be independent. However, it wouldn't be the worse thing either.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:18 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Our four kids knew they always had a place to stay after college (for three of them) and high school.

Now, they all had jobs and the three oldest all bought their own houses before they turned 30 (thinking about it they were all 27 when they bought). The oldest two lived with us while the third rented (she didn't stay in the immediate area).

For a number of reasons I/We really don't want the youngest, who's an Electrician, out on his own just yet. He'll turn 26 next week.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:30 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Technically, when they graduate from college and move into their own place. But realistically, their first place will be pretty small and the furniture in their bedroom at home may not really be a practical choice for a young professional working person. Plus, they are still coming home on the holidays and for visits so they'll need a place to stay in our house so they might as well stay in what has always been their bedroom.

We've got a recent college graduate living/working in another state but he still has his room with a lot of his stuff in it at our home. If we needed the space we would box up his stuff and repurpose the room.

We've also got another kid still in college who is coming home to visit on some weekends and during school breaks so his room is still very much being used.

Old 11-13-2022, 10:17 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Our four kids knew they always had a place to stay after college (for three of them) and high school.

Now, they all had jobs and the three oldest all bought their own houses before they turned 30 (thinking about it they were all 27 when they bought). The oldest two lived with us while the third rented (she didn't stay in the immediate area).

For a number of reasons I/We really don't want the youngest, who's an Electrician, out on his own just yet. He'll turn 26 next week.
26?! Time to cut the cord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting