Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 01:53 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times

Advertisements

People, if you check her location, all will be answered.

Old 11-22-2022, 04:26 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Why not just stay away from children when you are heavily armed.

Old 11-22-2022, 04:35 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why not just stay away from children when you are heavily armed.
That's really not a workable question for at least two reasons. First, as the user above pointed out, in the words of Kathy Morningside (Miss Congeniality) "This is TEXAS! Everyone has a gun!".

Secondly, in the case of children accidents, armed lightly (say spending the night with family on a hunting trip) or "heavily" is rather immaterial if an accident happens......which I am trying to find a workable answer here.

And to that point........dash the question before it is asked of why I travel with such fire power for that really isn't in the sphere of this thread.

So is there a better way to keep the keys "safe"? Is there a better way to keep the guns "safe"? Before we go the absolute on that route, let me say that for those places that deny me staying there because I am traveling far out of my home armed........I don't go there.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-22-2022 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-22-2022, 04:57 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
How old are these fictional children? I assume their parents have guns also since everyone you know does. How do they handle the gun/lock/key dilemma?

Old 11-22-2022, 05:08 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
OK, if your question is whether it's preferable to keep the keys on a longer chain or a choker, I think that's immaterial. The most important thing is that the chain or whatever it is be certain not to break and drop off. If the children are sneaking up to you while you're sleeping and trying to get the keys off your neck, you are with the wrong family to begin with.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:11 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
When I am in a house with children, the gun locks keys are around my neck, almost a choker at my throat. But I don't know how good children are at getting things so is a choker with a clasp better or a necklace one can pull over their head. One would think the former but as said....I don't know children.

Now, if one wants to say, they wouldn't be in my house, that's fair enough......but then the security keys become those of the car they are locked in....and the question still stands.
Sounds very paranoid ...

Old 11-22-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How old are these fictional children? I assume their parents have guns also since everyone you know does. How do they handle the gun/lock/key dilemma?
In past circumstances, these real children were 6 to 14. The Father didn't believe in guns, the mother did, I don't know what their gun state was.

Back to post #1, if they say I cannot visit their house with my guns, that's fine, they are locked in my car.......but that still has the question about security keys, only in that case, they are the car keys or the car keys are added to the mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
OK, if your question is whether it's preferable to keep the keys on a longer chain or a choker, I think that's immaterial. The most important thing is that the chain or whatever it is be certain not to break and drop off. If the children are sneaking up to you while you're sleeping and trying to get the keys off your neck, you are with the wrong family to begin with.
Well, I am asking the people who should know how children act these days, what would defeat their curiousity best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sounds very paranoid ...
Well, between PSAs and CD's "Current events", there are enough situations to make one paranoid enough to exercise a good degree of protection.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:23 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
THANK YOU!

With all the news stories we have of child/gun accidents, I am a little bit dismayed to people who poke jokes or a lack of seriousness to this question.
If this is the true and real concern, the obvious, easy, and most foolproof solution is to get rid of the guns entirely. No more potential problems from them.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:34 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If this is the true and real concern, the obvious, easy, and most foolproof solution is to get rid of the guns entirely. No more potential problems from them.
Or don't stay in houses with children. No one can tell you "how children act these days" in reference to any specific children you may encounter.

Perhaps you could lock the guns in a case with a biometric lock, and leave it in the car. Presumably the children will not try to carry you out to the car while you are asleep so they can press your finger on the lock.

First genuine question: Honestly, how would you know ANYONE (adults included) won't try to commandeer your guns?

Second genuine question: If you leave guns locked out of view in your car and do not mention them, how would anyone know they are there?

Old 11-22-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Or don't stay in houses with children. No one can tell you "how children act these days" in reference to any specific children you may encounter.

Perhaps you could lock the guns in a case with a biometric lock, and leave it in the car. Presumably the children will not try to carry you out to the car while you are asleep so they can press your finger on the lock.

First genuine question: Honestly, how would you know ANYONE (adults included) won't try to commandeer your guns?

Second genuine question: If you leave guns locked out of view in your car and do not mention them, how would anyone know they are there?
The answer to question one when it concerns adults.......is outside the reach of this thread. As far as children go, are they not curious as I have been led to believe?

In answer to question two, with the rifle, that could work......but there is still the point of moving the pistol from my holster, dropping its mag and ejecting the round, and putting it in the case. A period of visibility exists in those moments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting