Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 01:00 AM

81 posts, read 77,589 times

Advertisements

Some time ago my wife crossed with my son 2 years and 4 months old a graveyard because next to it there is a child park with games and it was a park he usually liked a lot. That time he was looking to inside graveyard from the fence for a while and they went to the park. Next day he stopped, pointed out 2 times with his finger showing some place inside the graveyard, pleople were looking at him and they went to the park. After that, they tried to cross the graveyard again and he refuses shouting and crying and lying in the floor. Then at home he waked up crying at 10.30 pm. After some months not crossing the graveyard, my family came to visit us for Christmas and we all went to pass but through the avenue, not the graveyard and I told my mother this issue. We were with a very simple baby stroller and I tried to cross the graveyard to see what happens and the same started crying and shouting, then we left. Once again during the night at 10.30 pm he woke up crying.

We would like to go again to the park, do you know how can we convince him to pass and not crying and shouting? There are not so many places for children in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 01:56 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,440,906 times
So there's no other way to get to the child's playground? I wouldn't force him. He probably senses something you don't and is very scared.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
So there's no other way to get to the child's playground? I wouldn't force him. He probably senses something you don't and is very scared.
Thanks for your help. Yes, you can go there bordering the avenue and you will end at the other side of the entrance. It takes extra 20 minutes more or less. My wife told me the side of the graveyard it happened has graves of 19th century, I don´t know if that matters. We will avoid this path, although if someone has any idea how to overcome this fear I would appreciate as well.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:57 AM

22,481 posts, read 12,018,893 times
OP---I would recommend that you post this in the "Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal" forum.

Young children are often more sensitive to---for lack of a better word---spirits. As temptation001 said your son senses something that you can't sense or see.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
OP---I would recommend that you post this in the "Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal" forum.

Young children are often more sensitive to---for lack of a better word---spirits. As temptation001 said your son senses something that you can't sense or see.
Thank you for your feedback. I am more interested in the parenting side than the events. We would not like our son to develop traumas or fears, life is hard, we everybody need to remain strong and fight back. It was difficult for him I guess to travel from home country to the place I am living and working, too many changes for 2 year old baby. However we want the best for our son and currently is the center of our attention. We love to spend time with him. He is the best happened to me in my life.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:25 AM

3,303 posts, read 3,032,366 times
I imagine that if you or your wife had seen what your son saw, you wouldn't be too comfortable crossing that area either. He's not making it up, and from a parenting standpoint, if a shortcut you like led you and your child through a bad part of town, you would probably take the long way around instead of trying to save 20 minutes by training your son not to be afraid of bad people. This is the same thing. He is seeing things that are real, just as if he saw a nasty character on the sidewalk. You can't teach or train or habituate him out of this. It would be terrifying to an adult who was equally sensitive.

Your child is intuitive, psychically sensitive. That is something he was born with that is inherent to his physical body. As time goes by, he is likely to have more occasions where he sees things other people do not, and you will only traumatize him more by not believing him. If you can find someone, preferably in your family, with the same type of gifts, it would be a blessing for him to have someone to go to when these things happen, someone who believes him and can relate.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I imagine that if you or your wife had seen what your son saw, you wouldn't be too comfortable crossing that area either. He's not making it up, and from a parenting standpoint, if a shortcut you like led you and your child through a bad part of town, you would probably take the long way around instead of trying to save 20 minutes by training your son not to be afraid of bad people. This is the same thing. He is seeing things that are real, just as if he saw a nasty character on the sidewalk. You can't teach or train or habituate him out of this. It would be terrifying to an adult who was equally sensitive.

Your child is intuitive, psychically sensitive. That is something he was born with that is inherent to his physical body. As time goes by, he is likely to have more occasions where he sees things other people do not, and you will only traumatize him more by not believing him. If you can find someone, preferably in your family, with the same type of gifts, it would be a blessing for him to have someone to go to when these things happen, someone who believes him and can relate.
^^^^Well said I couldn't rep you again.

I hope the OP takes your advice.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:05 PM

513 posts, read 897,930 times
any statues in there since this is an older part? some of them can be rather frightening for younger children. and yes some people swear that from birth to elementary age kids can see "ghosts". regardless, you either need to figure out exactly what is scaring the kid and show them it is nothing, force them thru there until they cave on it, or take the long way. keep in mind that in a few months the reaction can be worse or nonexistant with no visible reason, kids fears come and go and some never fade.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
any statues in there since this is an older part? some of them can be rather frightening for younger children. and yes some people swear that from birth to elementary age kids can see "ghosts". regardless, you either need to figure out exactly what is scaring the kid and show them it is nothing, force them thru there until they cave on it, or take the long way. keep in mind that in a few months the reaction can be worse or nonexistant with no visible reason, kids fears come and go and some never fade.
If the child is intuitive, forcing him to go through the cemetery is the wrong approach. In fact, it's cruel. If he is, indeed, seeing something telling him it's "nothing" is the wrong approach.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:47 PM

16,568 posts, read 10,653,080 times
Would it be possible to go to the cemetery entrance but not go in? It might help to see your son's reaction to the cemetery itself, not just one particular part of it. If he gets scared at the entrance, then leave. But if he's OK, you might consider just sitting there by the entrance for a short time, maybe sit and have a snack or watch the squirrels or something, and see if he shows fear. Another thought would be to go to a different cemetery and see if he has a similar reaction. At this point, you don't know if he's afraid of cemeteries in general, or if there is something specific in that one cemetery. If there is, then maybe you can find another route to the playground that might pass through the cemetery, but not go near that one part that scares him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting