Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 09:09 PM

176 posts, read 301,435 times

Advertisements

I’m sorry but people telling me to mind my business is completely tone deaf to the situation. I also don’t care if you lived to tell the tale of not being in a car seat as a toddler. So have I, but times have changed, communities have changed, and humans don’t live in a vacuum. If we don’t keep reasonable standards in place our communities suffer and even the most independent infractions can have major consequences.

It’s not like I’m going to other parents and physically inspecting their cars to see if they have seats properly installed. And if the dad in question only had illegally tinted windows, I would not care, but a mix of a 3 year old in the front seat, dark tinted windows suggest an arrogance that other laws aren’t important and that could be a recipe for disaster and the kids suffer most. And as a cop that’s not completely unreasonable…

If you saw a kid in a car by himself in a public parking lot, would you intervene? Did you know some kids have died that way? I mean, it’s very possible kids survive that but why take that risk? Or would you just mind your own business?

Old 12-18-2022, 04:55 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Between the lack of car seats and the dark tinted windows, this particular cop sounds like he feels he's above the law. He sounds like the type that would not take kindly to being confronted about it. My first step would be to inform the director of the preschool about this. Maybe they have policies on how to deal with it. And given that the director would have the ability to make this guy's life difficult (by, for example, removing the child from the program if need be), he might be more inclined to listen.

Totally agree, first report should go to the daycare to see if they do something. The next one may be to where the father works but I'm not sure how I would report it where it would be anonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm not a parent, but I was a child that never saw a car seat and live to tell the tale. I don't think you should intrude on another parent's choices. I'm sure you have enough to do with your own life.

Car seats are required by law up until age 5 in some states. In some states the kid has to be rear facing until usually 3 years old or 50 lbs. 3 year old can't speak for themselves against the parent

I looked up the law in Long Island where the OP is, kids have to be rear facing until two and in a car seat until age 8 to age 12 depending on when the seat belt fits the child correctly. They also have to ride in the back seat until age 13.

Child Passenger Safety

Quote:
New York State law requires all children to be restrained in an appropriate child restraint system while riding in a motor vehicle, until they reach their 8th birthday. Effective November 1, 2019, all children under the age of 2 must ride in a rear-facing car seat.

All children under age 13 should ride in the backseat.

Find additional information on finding the right seat from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

**Effective November 1, 2020, all motor vehicle passengers aged 16 and older must be restrained by a seat belt.**

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You think a parent might be sexually abusing a child and you worry about YOUR involvement???

This parent is risking that child’s life anytime he gets into the car w/o a car seat and ESPECIALLY putting a small child in the FRONT SEAT
The front seat airbag going off can break his neck—and if the father has the airbag on that side turned off—the kid can still have serious injuries from the accident—he can even go through the windshield because that seatbelt is not mean for a child that small—heck, he probably doesn’t eve have him belted in…

The day care should refuse to allow the father to do that—period
Not release him to the father w/o a car seat—

Because I guarantee you they are risking a LIABILITY LAWSUIT if there is an accident when the child is traveling with the father sans car seat and in the front seat…
Even if the day care tries to say “we didn’t know” they can still be sued…

Totally agree L2R! I'm not surprised with some replies, I don't think they even have kids, so IMO it's not a topic they should even reply to as a non parent.

I looked up the law in NY, car seat until AGE 8 and should not ride in the front seat until age 13. Everyone belts up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
I’m sorry but people telling me to mind my business is completely tone deaf to the situation. I also don’t care if you lived to tell the tale of not being in a car seat as a toddler. So have I, but times have changed, communities have changed, and humans don’t live in a vacuum. If we don’t keep reasonable standards in place our communities suffer and even the most independent infractions can have major consequences.

It’s not like I’m going to other parents and physically inspecting their cars to see if they have seats properly installed. And if the dad in question only had illegally tinted windows, I would not care, but a mix of a 3 year old in the front seat, dark tinted windows suggest an arrogance that other laws aren’t important and that could be a recipe for disaster and the kids suffer most. And as a cop that’s not completely unreasonable…

If you saw a kid in a car by himself in a public parking lot, would you intervene? Did you know some kids have died that way? I mean, it’s very possible kids survive that but why take that risk? Or would you just mind your own business?

I support you 100% doing something about it.

To know this is a cop not putting his child in a car seat also in the front makes it even worst because [b]he knows what the car seat, seat belt along with kids not being allowed to ride in the front until age 13 is a law he should know about and if he does not as a cop, he should at the least be laid off without pay, fired if he continues to break the law.

Deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 12-18-2022 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Thread is not supposed to be about bashing the police, even if a police person's actions are incorrect.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:01 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Orphaned

This is a 3 year old child the OP is talking about. They're not old enough to make up their own mind.

The reason most of us say to report it is because it is illegal number 1 and number two, if the cop parent has to slam on the brakes, that little 3 year old could end up losing their life to a broken neck from being thrown in the car.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-18-2022 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-18-2022, 06:41 AM

18,831 posts, read 13,720,110 times
Man am I glad I don’t live near some of you.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-18-2022, 09:59 AM

7,561 posts, read 3,238,123 times
The kid will be fine. You make sure your own kids are safe, let other people worry about theirs. So sick of snitches.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:00 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,717,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Hello! My son goes to a preschool and he has another kid in his class (I’d assume 3) whose dad picks him up in a car without a car seat. Even worse, he is riding in the front seat. To make matters even worse, i think this boy has a younger brother who is also in that car without a car seat. I did some digging on the father and it turns out he is a cop. Do I report this guy to authorities and the school? I’ve noticed this many times now , it’s not an isolated incident.
?
You can try to report it. Deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 12-18-2022 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Veering off the OP.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:05 AM

7,181 posts, read 3,388,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
This is a 3 year old child the OP is talking about. They're not old enough to make up their own mind.

The reason most of us say to report it is because it is illegal number 1 and number two, if the cop parent has to slam on the brakes, that little 3 year old could end up losing their life to a broken neck from being thrown in the car.
leave the law to those who are paid to enforce the law. the child has parents, grandparents, other family members, plus the daycare director and teachers. it’s not the business of the general public to involve themselves in situations they know nothing about.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:41 AM

25,571 posts, read 21,753,969 times
Imagine not reporting it, and the child ends up dead in an auto accident. Many here seem to have the attitude that "Well, at least the parent made the decision, so no problem!"

I would not call anyone, as even if it is supposed to be anonymous, it isn't as they get a listing of those that call in and can trace back.

Someone else suggested "sending" it anonymously, and that is the best route.

OP, don't let those telling you to mind your own business, those are generally people, well, you don't want to take their advice when it comes to the life and well-being of a child.

If one doesn't agree with the laws, they need to work to change them, and if they are too lazy to do that, they need to follow them!

https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsa...20unrestrained.

† Restraint status was known for 549 of the 607 child passenger vehicle occupants ages 12 and younger who were killed in crashes in 2020. Among the 549 child passengers for which restraint status was known, 211 (38%) were unrestrained.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...etail/children

"Most crash deaths occur among children traveling as passenger vehicle occupants, and proper restraint use can reduce these fatalities. Restraining children in rear seats instead of front seats reduces fatal injury risk by about three-quarters for children up to age 3, and almost half for children ages 4 to 8."

Old 12-18-2022, 12:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So it’s ok if the parent wants to drive drunk?
Or if the parent slaps the kid really hard across the face?
Or wants to have sex with the kid?
All those are parental choices—you ok with them?
Oh my, isn't someone filled with moral outrage here? (eyeroll) Please just stick to the post.

Of course I would, but in this case there is no clear evidence that a harm is planned upon the child, and there was no mention of the man being drunk. If the OP took the time to identify the man, he could just as easily contacted him and asked him about what his son told him. More than one occasion does not mean more than two times, and I can think of a lot of reasons why it might be necessary: broken seat, perhaps another was the usual person to pick up and an emergency/accident happened, any number of things.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:04 PM

18,831 posts, read 13,720,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Oh my, isn't someone filled with moral outrage here? (eyeroll) Please just stick to the post.

Of course I would, but in this case there is no clear evidence that a harm is planned upon the child, and there was no mention of the man being drunk. If the OP took the time to identify the man, he could just as easily contacted him and asked him about what his son told him. More than one occasion does not mean more than two times, and I can think of a lot of reasons why it might be necessary: broken seat, perhaps another was the usual person to pick up and an emergency/accident happened, any number of things.
You don’t like car seats? You must be for child sex rings then!

Seems reasonable.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting