Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 10:48 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Me again. Want to thank everyone again for providing their insight.
Well my wife wanted to get the genetic testing done on the 10 frozen embryos. Four of them came back mosaic meaning some abnormal cells and six came back abnormal and four came back normal. The nurse said that that’s actually a lot to be normal was good. She asked my wife if she wanted to know the sex and she was hesitant but said yeah. She got a feeling the nurse wanted to tell her. The four normal embryos are all girls lol. The nurse said that’s very rare. My two year old right now is a girl lol.
I am so torn on what to do about having another child. I really do want my daughter to have a sibling. I know everyone has different opinions but I think it would be good for her. I understand there’s no guarantees regarding how close they will be. I’m just very concerned that I’m going to be 50 in February 24’ And this is gonna be a lot of work for a couple years that I’m Sort of not looking forward to lol. But I feel like my daughter and Her happiness and her having a sibling(again I get it no guarantees) Is more important. Just thought I’d give an update
You have to follow your heart. I know a lot of people are hesitant but when a child gets here all that changes. It will definitely be a lot of work and in so many ways it is harder as you get older but I also think kids keep you young.
My father was 50 when my little brother was born, the last of 4. I was 52 when my grand came to live with me at 12 years old. It can be done and it can be rewarding. It will be what you make of it.
Which ever way it goes I hope your marriage stays together and I wish all of you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 10:50 AM

987 posts, read 822,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You have to follow your heart. I know a lot of people are hesitant but when a child gets here all that changes. It will definitely be a lot of work and in so many ways it is harder as you get older but I also think kids keep you young.
My father was 50 when my little brother was born, the last of 4. I was 52 when my grand came to live with me at 12 years old. It can be done and it can be rewarding. It will be what you make of it.
Which ever way it goes I hope your marriage stays together and I wish all of you the best.
Thank you. Very nice of you.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:46 PM

3,139 posts, read 1,594,424 times
Quote:
Well my wife wanted to get the genetic testing done on the 10 frozen embryos. Four of them came back mosaic meaning some abnormal cells and six came back abnormal and four came back normal. The nurse said that that’s actually a lot to be normal was good. She asked my wife if she wanted to know the sex and she was hesitant but said yeah. She got a feeling the nurse wanted to tell her. The four normal embryos are all girls lol. The nurse said that’s very rare. My two year old right now is a girl lol.
I am so torn on what to do about having another child. I really do want my daughter to have a sibling. I know everyone has different opinions but I think it would be good for her. I understand there’s no guarantees regarding how close they will be. I’m just very concerned that I’m going to be 50 in February 24’ And this is gonna be a lot of work for a couple years that I’m Sort of not looking forward to lol. But I feel like my daughter and Her happiness and her having a sibling(again I get it no guarantees) Is more important. Just thought I’d give an update
Thanks for the update. I believe my own daughter would have benefited from having a sibling both as a young child and now married with her own children.

My father also did not want more children but my mother convinced him to have another hoping for another boy as they already had two girls and a boy. She had another girl and that daughter is the one who ended up caring for my Dad in his old age. She was very close to my Dad. So, you really never know how things will turn out.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:50 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,234,933 times
Thank you for the update. I think you should go for it, not that you asked my opinion. I just remember how I *thought* siblings would be beneficial, but seeing it between my 3 kids (7 year spread) blows my mind almost every day.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:57 PM

979 posts, read 538,015 times
Quote:
We went through IVF and our twins were born when I was 38 so I'm going to be an old dad, kinda sorta. But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world and would welcome another child given the opportunity. As long as there's little risk of birth defects I think you should go for it. Both you and your existing child will benefit from it. Remember how full your heart became the day your daughter was born?

Old 04-07-2023, 07:57 AM

401 posts, read 275,212 times
Quote:
So I'm 48 and my wife is 43. We just had out 1st child almost 2 years ago. For several different reasons we it didn't happen until late. Ayway my daughter is the best thing to ever happen to me. It's the best in every way....yes a bit difficult at times but well worth it.

My wife is adamant about having a second child for some very valid reasons but I'm against it.
I do feel bad that my daughter will grow up as an only child. Noone to share trips, christmas, bdays, playtime etc. etc. with. My wife is very concerned with her being alone in life, especially later on of something happens to us. I do understand.I really do feel awful about that but at this point in my life I feel having one is enough. I guess I'm being a bit selfish.

Any thoughts??
As someone that grew up alone and is a fully functional adult, she will be fine. Don't mean to offend you, but I think having a parent around as long as possible is a lot more important then a sibling your kid has never known. At close to 50, I would never in a zillion years willingly try for more kids. It takes 2 people to be in agreement to have more kids, or at least it should.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
As someone that grew up alone and is a fully functional adult, she will be fine. Don't mean to offend you, but I think having a parent around as long as possible is a lot more important then a sibling your kid has never known. At close to 50, I would never in a zillion years willingly try for more kids. It takes 2 people to be in agreement to have more kids, or at least it should.
Thanks. I do truly feel she'd be better off with a sibling. I could be wrong. One never knows how the relationship will turn out but I do think the parents play a big part in determining the relationship between siblings.

I do agree having two parents around in EXTEMELY and probbaly more important.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:20 PM

16,291 posts, read 8,113,806 times
Wow this thread has been going on for quite some time. Are you having another kid?

In all honestly if you have to ask strangers on a public message forum if you should have another kid...you probably shouldn't be having another kid. Best of luck though.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Wow this thread has been going on for quite some time. Are you having another kid?

In all honestly if you have to ask strangers on a public message forum if you should have another kid...you probably shouldn't be having another kid. Best of luck though.
Not exactly ..don’t agree.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:01 PM

105 posts, read 65,850 times
Quote:
Not exactly ..don’t agree.
It's okay Mister Lucky. It's a big decision.

Yes, having two kids is A LOT of work. Not gonna lie. I felt the second one quadrupled the work for awhile. However, they are very very close and big brother is an enormous source of support, strength, and love for little sister and always has been. That's how it worked out for my two who are now young adults.

So, at the end of the day, follow your heart and what the heart thinks is the right thing to do.

Edit: Mr. Lucky, can you get a nanny for a couple of years? Seems like you are doing well financially. Maybe this could help a bit to get you through to years when the kids are a bit more independent. Like I said, it is a lot of work. A nanny could help a lot in those early years.

Last edited by Mrs_Sheridan; 04-07-2023 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting