Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 10:50 PM

867 posts, read 456,506 times

Advertisements

yEAH , all that would def' help. Been 2yrs of nothing here in a lot of cases due to Covid and many many hold ups especially for young people and a lot of them have been at loose ends.

We're really hoping she can start her new course next yr. That will be pretty heavy stuff and a great thing to be focusing on for 18mths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 10:50 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
She doesn't need a man to be happy, everything she can do with a man she can do herself. If a good one comes along she is lucky, but don't hold your breath, most will disappoint like she is experiencing now, it doesn't get better with age.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:42 PM

Problem is , try telling that to a 21yrld.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:07 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post
Thanks for that and yeah l fully agree but unfortunately at 21 , well , you know.
We've tried to explain all those things and more butttt, sadly to no avail.
She did really try it all too with the last one. He was really good to her, kind and really seemed to care about her, def' not the play around type,she moved slowly, he seemed good even to me and that's a big ask. 6mths later , he wants out too.
lt's really strange some of the friends she's grown up with and that aren't tbh even very nice girls at all some of them and yet have had steady bf's for yrs.
Doesn't help that is for sure. l usually say but yeah , ok now maybe but they won't last being together since 16 17.Meanwhile you'll be finding that right person later on.

Trying to find some silver lining for her.
Maybe her girlfriends are fooling around to keep the boys sticking around and your daughter doesn't so her boyfriends get tired of waiting and leave her?

Old 12-27-2022, 05:22 AM

No it's not that and actually these gf's actually have full on very real relationships. Two of them l know personally, ea been living together a few yrs now with their partners.
Rent their own place work hard save, real life as couples , it really surprised me actually.
And no l'm not saying she should be doing all that , it does effect her though that they are yet she's had the run she's had with men.

l know it's a common story.

Last edited by randomx; 12-27-2022 at 05:38 AM..

Old 12-27-2022, 07:13 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Dating is for learning what you want and don’t want in a partner. You should take comfort in the fact that your daughter didn’t marry the first boyfriend she ever had, and wind up miserable.

I married at 18, and divorced 12 years later. I’m happy to say that my kids didn’t marry until their late 20s and my grandchildren are all in their mid-late 20s and they aren’t married yet either. They are in jobs they love, travel in their off time, and when the right partner comes along, they will be the best people they can be.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:32 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
Hi people.
This is not an easy thing to write l've seen many times around forums vulnerable type threads turn into shytshows. Too often end up all being thrown back in the op's face or the op ends up spending 3/4 of the thread defending themselves over misunderstandings. .
So you know , if you don't wanna appreciate this situation and be nice then best go play somewhere else.

My daughters 21 and has had a terrible run with guys and bf's.They don't stick around or fade off or turn all wishy woshy. And l don't say this as her dad but as a male, yet she's a very special girl with so much depth and old soul, a kind heart and fantastic to talk to. Nice looking and l tell you what, if a worthy guy came along she'd be the best partner he'd be finding , it's just how she is.
But we just dk how to advise anymore when something else hits the fan.
The young guys are so different now and everythings sm or date sites, fast, text, Things for her and a lot of her friends just don't happen the way they use to and the guys mostly just aren't that way either.
Seems friendships too are mostly just cheap instant and throw away crap like everything else.
My experience with daughters has been different thus far, they are a little older than your daughter.

As to what suggestions to give, for me, I mostly stay out of their way. I do give my girls suggestions in business as they are enmeshed in their own businesses. Mostly how I would handle situations with clients/potential clients, and problems.

In terms of boyfriends, I am not called upon to provide insight in that area. I've noted they have navigated those waters easily. They have witnessed a lot through our own household and seemingly applied what parts works for them. I'd say lead by example, but at least in our case, my example has provided many missteps along with decent enough examples. I'm satisfied they have made the right choices for themselves; I probably would be inclined to step in, in some way if I thought bad choices were being made.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:05 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I should have added that I think your daughter has the best defense against having a bad man picker. She has a engaged and caring father who supports her.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:56 PM

Thanks very much for those and the encouragement.
But hell no l don't even wanna be involved it's just that the poor things had a yr from hell and mostly through no fault her own either but without going into that side of things but then PLUS - all these bad runs with boy'men, on top of all that too.
Her mum and l are divorced but we've still kept a very good relationship working with and for my d right through and she talks to us both , yaknow.
And so we're often the ones picking up the pieces unfortunately so you try to help.

Agree on all the marriage stuff and we've talked about all that too and like she has no interest in marriage anytime soon. So thats not even an issue thk the Gods she'd just like a decent bf though and there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by randomx; 12-27-2022 at 02:16 PM..

Old 12-27-2022, 04:31 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Thanks for that and yeah l fully agree but unfortunately at 21 , well , you know.
We've tried to explain all those things and more butttt, sadly to no avail.
She did really try it all too with the last one. He was really good to her, kind and really seemed to care about her, def' not the play around type,she moved slowly, he seemed good even to me and that's a big ask. 6mths later , he wants out too.
lt's really strange some of the friends she's grown up with and that aren't tbh even very nice girls at all some of them and yet have had steady bf's for yrs.
Doesn't help that is for sure. l usually say but yeah , ok now maybe but they won't last being together since 16 17.Meanwhile you'll be finding that right person later on.

Trying to find some silver lining for her.
I'm going to guess that since she has a dad who cares so much, you have set the bar high for her. That's not a bad thing. Maybe your daughter is high fruit. Harder to reach. Harder to impress. That's not a bad thing either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting