Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,083 times

Advertisements

My wifes ex husband and the father of my step daughters is 10 months behind on Child Support and his half of daycare. This is a total of about 11k. The ex husband sells(steals) medical equipent to the elderly. We got a call yesterday from the department of health and human services about an ongoing investigation into ongoing medicare fraud that he has been perpetrating over the years. This call came right after my wife got home from being in court with him to serve an I.W.O. to his employer !

The investigator told my wife that she is at the end of her investigation and if the Atty. General wanted to press charges he would definately serve time.

Has anyone been through anything like this?

I have had several people tell me that the government would pay his child support if he is in jail. I find this hard to believe!

How long could it take to prosecute him?

How long might he serve and most importantly how do you break the news to the children? They are 6 and 4 yrs old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
A. I have never heard of "the gov't" paying for someone's child support
B. Cases can be on the books awaiting trial for years
C. You don't tell the children anything about prison at this age. If they are used to seeing their father, then you just tell them he is not able to visit them b/c he had to go away. But you are probably at least a year or two off from that, b/c he has not had a trial and who knows if he will actually serve time.
D. Be very careful about any discussions you have about this man, as you could end up being the "bad guy" as far as the kids are concerned. So don't discuss his situation if there is any chance the children can hear your conversation.
E. If your wife has not petitioned the court to have child support sent to her from her ex - through the court system - she should check into doing that immediately.

I am just giving you some advice based on situations I have known about but I am no attorney and laws vary from state to state anyway. GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-28-2008 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM

335 posts, read 1,028,771 times
Hmmmm as the poster above me stated the Government paying chld support while this man is incarcerated is unheard of. The child support will keep going into arears and mount up but noone will make the payment for him. I am sorry for this.
Also as the poster stated the children have no business knowing that their bio father will be serving time this can affect them emotionally and worry them. Be careful that the conversations you have regarding their father be done out of their earshot.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,449 times
Yes, unfortunately I have had experience with this. The child support will stop completely when he is "away," and good luck getting it started again when he gets out. It does continue to accrue, however, unless there is a motion to abate support during his sentence. I've seen it both ways. Either way, if he goes in, you'll likely never see another penny.

Personally, I think that whatever earnings they get from their jobs whle incarcerated should be garnished at the appropriate percentage, if not entirely withheld, to cover at least part of their child support.

And yes, please be cautious about talking about this situation in the presence of young children. It can be very disturbing to them, and make them questions their own self worth, as well as damage their self esteem.

Good luck!

~D

Old 05-31-2008, 07:39 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
Wow. Another dead beat dad. That is really too bad. Your wife and step kids are really lucky to have you.

The support will keep piling up and will hang over his head forever. Any future job he has, his wages will be garnished if your wife keeps up with her court dates.

Good luck to you guys. Keep protecting those little ones. How sad it is that they got stuck with this guy as their father.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:13 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Well, depends on the state actually. In certain states, when the Child Support is set up through DCSE and the non-custodial doesn't pay: the state will pay the custodial parent, and it's up to the non-custodial to pay back the state (with interest).

At least Virginia does, according to my close friend's DCSE case. The state writes her a check each month and the Sperm Donor has to pay them back with fees and interest.

The last thing the Department wants is to have children suffer because the donor of a sperm doesn't want to be responsible.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,710 times
At this point child support is not the real focus, but a father who may go to jail. The children are already confused and need strong people in thier lives to guide them. When a man takes up with a woman and she has children, you opted to fulfill the role of step father and that means satisfying all needs of the children together with mom. Money is great, but the children relationship with their father is the bigger concern.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
At this point child support is not the real focus, but a father who may go to jail. The children are already confused and need strong people in thier lives to guide them. When a man takes up with a woman and she has children, you opted to fulfill the role of step father and that means satisfying all needs of the children together with mom. Money is great, but the children relationship with their father is the bigger concern.
They have no relationship! He calls them about twice per month and is more interested in coaching his 3(very talented) older children in sports. He lives 20 minutes away and has not seen them in 3 months. He is also behind with his two other ex wives but has plenty of time to coach hi potential "meal tickets".

Old 08-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Update

Feds indict Birmingham area man for Medicare fraud
The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 7:23 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 7:23 a.m.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -
A Gardendale man has been arraigned in U.S. District Court for health care fraud.

U.S. Attorney Alice Martin said in a statement Monday that 44-year-old Joel Allan Sloan was charged in a 17-count indictment that was returned in July.

The indictment alleges Sloan created paperwork which falsely indicated doctors had approved power wheelchairs and accessories for certain Medicare recipients.

Martin said the scheme cost the Medicare program more than $70,000.

No trial date was announced. (It's October 7th)

The maximum sentence for each count of federal health care fraud is no more than 20 years and a fine of up to $250,000 or both.

This guy is my wifes ex-husband and the sperm donor to my step daughters! In addition to being 20k behind on child support and daycare, when the sherrif served his employer with garnishment papers he signed for them and promptly deposited them in the garbage. He will do anything to avoid supporting his children. We hope he enjoys his stay and accomidations in the federal pen!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM

193 posts, read 812,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post

I have had several people tell me that the government would pay his child support if he is in jail. I find this hard to believe!
I've never heard of that either, but in certain circumstances it sure would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting