Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 02:03 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times

Advertisements

I'll share an anecdote:

My family practice doctor and his wife had a passel of kids. She was a stay at home mom.

For some reason his wife had to go somewhere for a few days and he arranged his schedule to take care of the kids which he, being a very busy man, was not accustomed to. One night after buying groceries with all the kids in tow he got them home, parked in the garage, got them in the house, made and fed them dinner.

After that it was bedtime stuff - story, pjs and tuck in. At that time one of the older kids said, "Dad, aren't you going to bring (the baby) in?"

No harm done. Baby was sleeping soundly in his car seat.

And, no, Dr. Dad didn't tell me this story. His nurse, who knew I had babysat him when he was little, told me!

Truth be told, when we are raising kids I think we all make mistakes and it's only by good fortune that they manage to survive us at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 7,029 times
15 seconds? Yeah that wasn't even worth mentioning. Is she constantly looking at the camera because she doesn't trust you? That would get annoying. QUICK.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:43 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
15 Is she constantly looking at the camera because she doesn't trust you? That would get annoying. QUICK.
If she really watches his every move then he has a bigger problem in his hand...

Old 01-25-2023, 05:46 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Was the truck running, and could he have gotten out of the car seat? Also, if the wife posted her side, I missed it. I guess there is always a concern that 10 or 15 seconds was a little longer, and also that if the car was running and unlocked, someone might have taken the car, and the child would have been gone also. Unless one knows all the details, one really cannot judge.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:13 PM

OP said "we live at the end of a street with no traffic" and the truck was on his driveway.
I don't think there was any problem to consider.

A 4 year old (except he is disabled) should be able to stay home for 15 second, walk with his father to the truck or sit in the truck in his car seat. He also should be taught to obey simple commands.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:17 PM

11 posts, read 7,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
He said "we live at the end of a street with no traffic" and the truck was on his driveway.
I don't think there was any problem to consider.
Was thinking the same. The wife looking through the camera going crazy over nothing is a bit cringe. No offense OP.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:21 PM

They aren't married.... Probably better so.

BTW: OP is not back on C-D.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:11 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Turns out, there is no marriage. That may be a good thing in this case. I wonder what the division of custody is. Dad seems to be the more sensible of the two, but aside from this incident, we don't know anything.
Division of custody? I haven't read OP's posting history, but them being unmarried says nothing to their living arrangements - they could be living together, raising the children together, etc, just like any married couple. Just without the piece of paper. And as a general comment (to others here), long engagements aren't unusual or necessarily indicative of anything being wrong. Lots of couples wait for various reasons, especially given the pandemic situation over these last 3 years. My cousin had to postpone her wedding twice!

Old 01-29-2023, 06:14 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Here is a great reply:

You can leave kids/pets in cars for as long as you can hold your breath............
Kids, sure... that makes sense. But pets? My dog waits in the car all the time, since we live in the boonies and have to combine outings (e.g. I'll stop for groceries after taking him to the dog park). We also take a lot of road trips together, and he's a big dog I can't just carry into stores with me. It's weird how people have such differing opinions on that matter, but I guess it's off topic for this forum. So I'll leave it at this.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:37 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Kids, sure... that makes sense. But pets? My dog waits in the car all the time, since we live in the boonies and have to combine outings (e.g. I'll stop for groceries after taking him to the dog park). We also take a lot of road trips together, and he's a big dog I can't just carry into stores with me. It's weird how people have such differing opinions on that matter, but I guess it's off topic for this forum. So I'll leave it at this.
Giz, I think your situation is different, since you live in a very temperate area. Except for the rare heat wavelet, cars in Santa Cruz County don't heat up like they do, say, in Florida, Arizona, or Bakersfield. And of course you leave the window open so your gorgeous pooch gets plenty of fresh air. (I know you take good care of your woofer. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting