Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 04:34 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

Growing up, I’d noticed some kids having a basketball hoop in front of their home. Now it’s a rare sight to see. Maybe it’s a HOA thing…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 06:59 AM

422 posts, read 265,189 times
Most of my kids friends have them.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:09 AM

7,340 posts, read 3,514,319 times
i used to have one at our old house, never replaced it when we moved. kids didn’t really use it that much

Old 01-14-2023, 09:04 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I see them everywhere. I see ones that are part of a store-bought stand and hoop rig, and I see the old-fashioned ones, that are screwed in above garage doors in driveways.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:24 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Growing up, I’d noticed some kids having a basketball hoop in front of their home. Now it’s a rare sight to see. Maybe it’s a HOA thing…
Street Basketball is even dying in NYC. There is hardly any note worthy D1 talent coming out of NYC this past decade.

Old 01-14-2023, 03:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Yes, there is one next door, and another around the corner, both families from India, and both have boys playing most afternoons after school, even in light rain.

Old 01-14-2023, 05:13 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
We had one for our kids growing up then donated it to a neighbor with young kids. Though I suspect there may be some bigger issues at work here. HOAs being one of them. The other being the number of kids in organized afterschool activities. We found when our kids were young that if we don't sign them up for various sports, Scouts, and other activities, they would not have any kids their age to play with.

There are very few school age kids out and about the neighborhood after school. Instead most of them are in some activity/day-care-like-something from the time they get out of school until their parents get home from work. During much of the year, that's dark so not near as much free play just shooting baskets in the driveway or pick up games of football/baseball happening.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:13 AM

17,271 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Thanks for bringing out my failed Michael Jordan fantasy with this memory. As a portly youth and only 5'3 I realized I was never going to be a power forward but maybe that little fire hydrant would be a great outside shooter! But those stubby arms always seemed to come up short. Every time I see a yard hoop a tear forms as a I stumble out of the delivery truck heading to the door for another appliance delivery. Cool part is they actually make "Air Jordans" in size 6 mens so I can leap out of the truck like I'm dunkin' in game 7 of the NBA finals! I'm usually dunkin donuts daily!

Just kidding! Kids today are lazy, there were a few that played hoops but seems as soon as the net gets torn or the hoop gets rusty the parents throw it out! As a kid my neighbor had a crappy home life, parents were constantly fighting. That kid played basketball for hours, every night.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:44 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
My sister has a hoop at her house (she's lived there over 20 years) and her boys (now in their early 20s) still enjoy it, I always see them using it when I visit once every year or two. If you're curious where, suburbs of Buffalo, NY, some of her neighbors have hoops too.

My theory as I believe OP said it may be an HOA thing with more and more housing being "developments" less standalone single-family homes.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
We had one for our kids growing up then donated it to a neighbor with young kids. Though I suspect there may be some bigger issues at work here. HOAs being one of them. The other being the number of kids in organized afterschool activities. We found when our kids were young that if we don't sign them up for various sports, Scouts, and other activities, they would not have any kids their age to play with.

There are very few school age kids out and about the neighborhood after school. Instead most of them are in some activity/day-care-like-something from the time they get out of school until their parents get home from work. During much of the year, that's dark so not near as much free play just shooting baskets in the driveway or pick up games of football/baseball happening.
Oh, your post is so sad. I do feel sorry for the kids locked up in institutional after school care that are unable to get out and play. I'm glad that all our grandkids have basketball hoops, trampolines, pools, treehouses or live next to parks. They're all outside after school and very active. Organized sports is usually later in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting