Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 07:40 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think the antiquated and sexist notion here is that only men (or in this case boys) have any agency. Men do things, women have things done to them. So even if we have a fully-grown woman and a 13-year-old boy, the boy should accept some if not all of the responsibility because women are inherently unable to act.

Perhaps in your case it's not sexism. Maybe you're a person who would say the same thing about a 13-year-old girl, that while you don't hold her responsible, you "certainly bet she egged it on and got what she wanted". Most people would take extreme exception to that sort of statement if it were about a girl. As a parent of two girls I certainly would not take that stance if it were either of my daughters. They are kids and an adult doing something like that bears the full responsibility for their actions. I don't see why it's reasonable or fair to think differently of boys.
Agree. It doesn't matter if the minor egged it on, male or female. Adults are responsible for making adult moral decisions. They are 100% responsible in these situations.

Nor do I think it makes the parents unfit. While people may think of 13 year olds as children, 13 year olds, I would guess especially boys but not exclusively, are very hormonal, horney and impressionable. It is natural in puberty. I'm not sure what parents are going to do about that. Teens will have sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 09:40 AM

5,653 posts, read 3,136,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes I agree that this is the reasoning. Makes no sense her going on about how her son is being forced to be a father when she is pushing for custody. They could walk away and I would bet given the circumstances the 13 year old would get out of paying any child support.
That's what I was thinking too. He was statutorily raped. Legally unable to give consent. I don't think he'd be held responsible for child support.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:52 AM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Yes I agree that this is the reasoning. Makes no sense her going on about how her son is being forced to be a father when she is pushing for custody. They could walk away and I would bet given the circumstances the 13 year old would get out of paying any child support.

Some people can't just "walk away" from family. And, regardless of how they came to be.. The child is his and is his parents grandchild.

This is the crux of many of the abortion arguments. While I look at it as a necessary evil.. There are people like the above, and that is why they can't understand or comprehend that someone would ever end a life via abortion. Your 'just walk away' comment is completely foreign to them.

Is that the case here? I don't know. May be some master plan by the parents to get money out of the mother for all I know.. but.. Something to keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
That's what I was thinking too. He was statutorily raped. Legally unable to give consent. I don't think he'd be held responsible for child support.
You'd be surprised. I wouldn't completely hold my breath on this.

There's bills making there way through now where if someone gets a DUI with death and the person killed has minor children.. That person will be required to pay child support.

There are cases where someone who was told they were the father, but weren't.. Have been required to pay child support.

I'm not weighing in on whether those are right or wrong.. Just that they happen. So.. Would I be overly shocked if the kid was put on the hook for child support? Not really.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:37 AM

5,653 posts, read 3,136,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Some people can't just "walk away" from family. And, regardless of how they came to be.. The child is his and is his parents grandchild.

This is the crux of many of the abortion arguments. While I look at it as a necessary evil.. There are people like the above, and that is why they can't understand or comprehend that someone would ever end a life via abortion. Your 'just walk away' comment is completely foreign to them.

Is that the case here? I don't know. May be some master plan by the parents to get money out of the mother for all I know.. but.. Something to keep in mind.

There's bills making there way through now where if someone gets a DUI with death and the person killed has minor children.. That person will be required to pay child support.

There are cases where someone who was told they were the father, but weren't.. Have been required to pay child support.

I'm not weighing in on whether those are right or wrong.. Just that they happen. So.. Would I be overly shocked if the kid was put on the hook for child support? Not really.
But neither of your examples don't really touch on the fact that the 13 yr old is a VICTIM of a crime.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
and how do you get child support out of a 13 year old anyway?

Old 03-09-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:

If she cant walk away she needs to stop going on about how this has ruined her son's life and forced him to be a father. It has not forced him to be a father. He does not have to raise the child. They are trying to take away custody from the mother who is raising the child. She could petition the courts for visitation or involvement in the childs life.

He was a victim of rape. I doubt any court is going to force a 13 year old victim of rape to pay child support.

Old 03-09-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
But neither of your examples don't really touch on the fact that the 13 yr old is a VICTIM of a crime.

Someone who is told they are the father of a child in order to get them to support said child is certainly the victim of fraud at the very least.

Is fraud the same as statutory rape? No. But.. Emotionally.. I'll bet it probably runs as high.

Quote:
If she cant walk away she needs to stop going on about how this has ruined her son's life and forced him to be a father. It has not forced him to be a father. He does not have to raise the child. They are trying to take away custody from the mother who is raising the child. She could petition the courts for visitation or involvement in the childs life.

He was a victim of rape. I doubt any court is going to force a 13 year old victim of rape to pay child support.

Just because YOU could do that. Doesn't mean everyone could.

Is it an option to them? Yes. Emotionally.. Could they just walk off and pretend that the child doesn't exist? That could be a hard thing for many people to do.

Not to mention.. Let's say the kid is raised by the mother.. A mother who is now a sex offender. This one wasn't a teacher, right? She was a cafeteria worker? There's so many, hard to keep track of them all. That's.. Not the greatest of careers to start with.. but it's over now. Being a sex offender will limit her work.. Honestly.. There's a decent chance here that the kid will have a better life being raised by the 13 year old and his parents than the mother.

Last edited by Labonte18; 03-09-2023 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-09-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Someone who is told they are the father of a child in order to get them to support said child is certainly the victim of fraud at the very least.

Is fraud the same as statutory rape? No. But.. Emotionally.. I'll bet it probably runs as high.
If some is told they are a father of a child and does not get a DNA test and signs a BC stating they are the father and takes responsibility for this child they are not defrauded.

Quote:

Just because YOU could do that. Doesn't mean everyone could.

Is it an option to them? Yes. Emotionally.. Could they just walk off and pretend that the child doesn't exist? That could be a hard thing for many people to do.
First, lets understand that I never said I could walk away from my child, nor did I suggest they walk away and pretend the child didnt exist. Not sure where you get that. I said an option would be visitation or involvement which would not force parenting and ruin their lives. The victim can go on with his education, spots, hanging out with friends, dating, etc. His life would not be ruined.

I dont see how anyone can not refrain from talking out of both sides of their mouth, which was my point.
You ruined my son, you forced him to be a father.........I want my son to have full custody of the child.

Old 03-09-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
If some is told they are a father of a child and does not get a DNA test and signs a BC stating they are the father and takes responsibility for this child they are not defrauded.

First, lets understand that I never said I could walk away from my child, nor did I suggest they walk away and pretend the child didnt exist. Not sure where you get that. I said an option would be visitation or involvement which would not force parenting and ruin their lives. The victim can go on with his education, spots, hanging out with friends, dating, etc. His life would not be ruined.

I dont see how anyone can not refrain from talking out of both sides of their mouth, which was my point.
You ruined my son, you forced him to be a father.........I want my son to have full custody of the child.

Sorry.. I added this on my post while you were replying.

Not to mention.. Let's say the kid is raised by the mother.. A mother who is now a sex offender. This one wasn't a teacher, right? She was a cafeteria worker? There's so many, hard to keep track of them all. That's.. Not the greatest of careers to start with.. but it's over now. Being a sex offender will limit her work.. Honestly.. There's a decent chance here that the kid will have a better life being raised by the 13 year old and his parents than the mother.

I'm actually half surprised at how many people here are seemingly of the opinion "Let the kid live with the sex offender". Would you let your kid even visit that house? I suspect not. So.. Why do you expect the fathers family to be cool with that?

as for support.. Nothing has to be signed. Just the father stating that he'd take care of them is generally enough. And.. When a guy is told he's about to be a father.. He may not really be expecting that the kid isn't his.

Look. Is the woman probably being overdramatic here with the 'ruined his life' thing? Yeah. But.. put yourself in her shoes. You're probably going to be fairly well ticked off, too. ESPECIALLY if you're against her getting off without jail time and the prosecutors have done the exact opposite of that.. Which.. I seem to recall is the case here? So.. The.. 'hysterics' from her.. Could be part of a strategy to try and force the prosecutions hand to include some jail time.

Old 03-09-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Sorry.. I added this on my post while you were replying.

I'm actually half surprised at how many people here are seemingly of the opinion "Let the kid live with the sex offender". Would you let your kid even visit that house? I suspect not. So.. Why do you expect the fathers family to be cool with that?

It is her child. She is the child's mother and there is no evidence she would not be a fit mother. Just because she had sex with a minor does not make her a sexual predator that would endanger her own child. Being convicted of a crime should not be reason to take someone's child away. There is no evidence that she would be an unfit mother.

Quote:
Sorry..

as for support.. Nothing has to be signed. Just the father stating that he'd take care of them is generally enough. And.. When a guy is told he's about to be a father.. He may not really be expecting that the kid isn't his.

Look. Is the woman probably being overdramatic here with the 'ruined his life' thing? Yeah. But.. put yourself in her shoes. You're probably going to be fairly well ticked off, too. ESPECIALLY if you're against her getting off without jail time and the prosecutors have done the exact opposite of that.. Which.. I seem to recall is the case here? So.. The.. 'hysterics' from her.. Could be part of a strategy to try and force the prosecutions hand to include some jail time.
No, its not enough to say you will take care of your child. Courts order child support. The department of child support enforcement makes sure you pay it.

And most times the kid is his. If you are just sleeping around or having relationship problem's I would think you would question paternity. I'm not sure how that is relevant to this situation.

A plea deal was signed. Nothing she does not is going to force the prosecution to include jail time. Its done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting