Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:51 AM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times

Advertisements

If my son came to us in the future (he's 5) and said he was gay I would still love him no matter what. Truth be told I might be alittle disappointed (for lack of a better word, and he would never know) but as long as he was happy I would support him. I would also encourage him to have a baby at some point (not adopt) so the name and bloodline would continue. But my love for him would not change at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 02:40 AM

64 posts, read 189,693 times
I would be a little sad, because I know what she'll have to go through. I'm bisexual, and while my soul mate turned out to be male, I have had girlfriends in the past and my life was hell while I was with them.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Dont we all, as parents, have an obligation to teach our children what WE think is right and wrong? Nowhere in my response did i say that i wouldnt love my child if they were gay. Nowhere in my post did i say that my child didnt have the right to be gay. Isnt it every parents right to allow what THEY deem appropriate into their home?

Yes Capt. Dan, some of us ''do'' feel we are obligated to teach our kids right from wrong, and we have every right to look out for ''our kids'' well being.We were raised knowing gay is totaly wrong and the dangers of AIDS. We were taught same sex was wrong to begin with,and to be honest,we were firmly taught to stay with our own race as well. Every family has the right to keep their family race the same and teach their kids to do the same. I love our county,most folks here think alike.We do not ''judge'' mixed race families though,just most folks around here were raised to marry within the same race,but to also mind their own if others do mix.

AIDS is not a problem when you raise your kids right.Teach them to keep their legs together and pants up until married,a respectable partner will wait.If not, he or she can simply look elsewhere.Ours don't have alone time running around anyways.They do have others stay the night at times,and now and then they can spend the night with a school friend as long as I know and trust the partents very well.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Yes Capt. Dan, some of us ''do'' feel we are obligated to teach our kids right from wrong, and we have every right to look out for ''our kids'' well being.We were raised knowing gay is totaly wrong and the dangers of AIDS. We were taught same sex was wrong to begin with,and to be honest,we were firmly taught to stay with our own race as well. Every family has the right to keep their family race the same and teach their kids to do the same. I love our county,most folks here think alike.We do not ''judge'' mixed race families though,just most folks around here were raised to marry within the same race,but to also mind their own if others do mix.

AIDS is not a problem when you raise your kids right.Teach them to keep their legs together and pants up until married,a respectable partner will wait.If not, he or she can simply look elsewhere.Ours don't have alone time running around anyways.They do have others stay the night at times,and now and then they can spend the night with a school friend as long as I know and trust the partents very well.
Stay within your own race? Are you serious or is this a joke?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
I don't have gay friends at all.
I bet you do, you just don't know who they are .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Someone did say they would ask their child if they were sure they were gay. My statement is if a child comes to a parent that means they are sure.
That was probably my post, Prinny. Let me elaborate. I said if my son came to me and told me he was gay, I would ask if he was sure. I should have added "...depending on his age". I was thinking of a young teen who may have just been doing some experimentation and wasn't sure exactly what his feelings meant... or if they "meant" anything at all. It is my understanding that virtually all boys experiment (I'm not male, so I have no first-hand experience, I can only go by research). That's why, if the child in question was young, I'd try to get more info from him. Does he know in his soul (which is fine) or is he trying to sort out a rush of new feelings brought on by adolescence (which is also fine)?

In any event, as I said earlier, regardless, I'd hug him and thank him for feeling confident enough in our relationship that he could come to me with questions and/or announcements. And I'd confirm for him that I was and will continue to be in his corner.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Stay within your own race? Are you serious or is this a joke?
I think he/she is serious. Actually staying within your race is a very old and quite common belief, although I find it unfortunate. You can't put a price on love or keep it contained within the same circle, but it is been managed to be done for centuries, especially with arranged marriages. Also, staying within your own religion and ethnicity is another very common practice.
Most of my Jewish friends will not even date a man who is not Jewish. Amongst Jews it is very important not to mix especially when it comes to a child. The purety of Jewish blood and heritage is very important. That's why I got so much dissaproval, since I'm a Russian Jew and married to an Italian Catholic.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Id be very upset if my son said he was gay. I wouldnt love him any less, but Id be very disappointed.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I think he/she is serious. Actually staying within your race is a very old and quite common belief, although I find it unfortunate. You can't put a price on love or keep it contained within the same circle, but it is been managed to be done for centuries, especially with arranged marriages. Also, staying within your own religion and ethnicity is another very common practice.
Most of my Jewish friends will not even date a man who is not Jewish. Amongst Jews it is very important not to mix especially when it comes to a child. The purety of Jewish blood and heritage is very important. That's why I got so much dissaproval, since I'm a Russian Jew and married to an Italian Catholic.
Heck you're lucky all you got was dissaproval, my parents did that (he catholic, she jewish) and we were pretty much disowned.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Heck you're lucky all you got was dissaproval, my parents did that (he catholic, she jewish) and we were pretty much disowned.
Disowned by Jewish parents?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Disowned by Jewish parents?
No, by my grandparents,uncles,aunts etc.... What's even more insane is since I look like my dad they won't even talk to me but they will talk to my brother who looks like my mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting