Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 12:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 610,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I would not be happy if a strange, visibly angry man was motioning to my child to roll down his window so he could... do what? Cuss him out? Punch him? Pull a gun?

Nope.

Sorry men, your ilk have enough violent behavior on the books to make moms like me a bit wary, especially when it you're angry and approaching our kids in public.

Take it up with me, if you have to.
The mother should make sure her child is not harming others or their property. If she would have done her job, there would not be an angry man. You sound bitter towards men in general. There are many good ones you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 01:36 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
The mother should make sure her child is not harming others or their property. If she would have done her job, there would not be an angry man. You sound bitter towards men in general. There are many good ones you know?
The better men would've taken it up with the mom, instead of reprimanding the child. He wasn't the child's parent, and the mom was right there.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:13 PM

1,692 posts, read 610,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
The better men would've taken it up with the mom, instead of reprimanding the child. He wasn't the child's parent, and the mom was right there.
That’s your opinion which you are entitled to, but that doesn’t make it fact. As can be seen in this thread, there are a variety of opinions on how best to handle a situation like that. What is fact, is that if the child had not misbehaved, this would not have taken place. In other words, the mother failed to do her job in this instance and keep her son in line. I’m not being overly harsh on the mother. Kids are hard for sure. That doesn’t change the fact that when a minor child misbehaves, it is the parent’s responsibility to know about it and act accordingly.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:28 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
That’s your opinion which you are entitled to, but that doesn’t make it fact. As can be seen in this thread, there are a variety of opinions on how best to handle a situation like that. What is fact, is that if the child had not misbehaved, this would not have taken place. In other words, the mother failed to do her job in this instance and keep her son in line. I’m not being overly harsh on the mother. Kids are hard for sure. That doesn’t change the fact that when a minor child misbehaves, it is the parent’s responsibility to know about it and act accordingly.
Here's the facts.

Kid dinged door while his mother was putting sibling in car seat

A man who was not the kids father took it upon himself to lecture the kid

Mom of kid asks kid what happened, and kid honestly tells mom what happened.

Mom tells OP's husband how she feels about THAT.

OP jumps out of vehicle and chimes in with her two cents, effectively ganging up on the mother

And here's another fact, which I've reiterated a couple of times now. The mother was not given the opportunity to discipline her child, because OP's husband did it for her, even though she was right there.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:44 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:

So you agree with us then? He should have spoken to the mother, not the kid? Because that's what you've just said, here.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:45 PM

2,967 posts, read 1,641,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I am aware he is an adult and I don't need to remind him. He lets me know that too. But I have been in his life since his birth and had guardianship since he was 12 so they are all still my babies. I do the same with my grown kids; dont drive too fast, dont eat that it will hurt your stomach, dont' slam my car door, dont forget to x,y,z. Not every mother stops parenting as soon as they turn 18. Its not uncommon.

Of course kids do mindless things. Haven't you heard their mind isnt fully developed until they are 25.
No, I did stupid things but I always had a "reason" in my mind.

Give kids credit for being thinking human beings. Because the brain is fully developed by about 25 (varies by person) doesn't mean that before that they're mindless.

Old 04-14-2023, 03:34 PM

860 posts, read 438,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertariansmovingtoidaho View Post
Hey all,

Just looking for feedback and opinions. This might be an aita (am I the ******* post).
How do you feel about other people correcting your children when they do wrong? So I went to an Easter event in our city and had a great time there. For context, I have two boys ages 13 and almost 8 and a 1 year old daughter.

Anyways, after the event while we were loading the kids, another truck was parked next to us. This woman was loading her younger child in their carseat as her son (age 10-13) was getting in the passengers seat. The mother told her son to be careful when opening his door and then he said " I know mom, I know not to let the door swing all the way open". Well, he closed the door and then opened it again all the way and it ended up denting our drivers side door. While this was happening the mother was on her drivers side loading her younger child in a carseat. The boy instantly knew what he had done (by the look on his face) and then closed his door and looked forward avoiding eye contact as if nothing had happened. My husband got out and looked at his door and sure enough the boy had dented our truck. My husband tells the boy to roll down his window in a non-aggressive way and then calmly tells him that accidents happen but to be careful in the future because he could end up damaging a newer vehicle (ours is 2012) costing his parents a lot of money or something to that effect. The boy says "okay" NOT "sorry" and then the mom asked what happened. When the mom asked her son what happened he tells he he dented our truck. She gets in her truck and then rolls down her window to tell my husband that "as a mother, I feel attacked that you spoke to my son and not to me". "I try to teach my kids about strangers- With the world that we live in today, it wasnt right of you to talk to him instead of me" giving my husband attitude. I hopped out and told her "as a mother of a teenage boy, I appreciate when others correct my son when he does wrong. We all have to live in this world together". My husband then tells her " listen lady, I'm the one with the dent in my truck. I wasn't going to take your insurance but I think now I should."

I think she was totally out of line. I understand the initial upset of someone correcting my child but when they are in the wrong, they are in the wrong. I think she ruined the learning opportunity this could have been for her son. I don't like living in a world where you feel like you have to walk on egg shells around other peoples kids because they might be offended if you do the proper adult thing to do which is correcting our youth. I don't get this parenting mentality. Help me understand.
Your husband absolutely did the right thing.

Old 04-15-2023, 04:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
It rather reminds me of having a gate sentry on duty at a military base. Say an officer entering the base doesn't think the sentry acted correctly, stops, returns to the gate house, and starts correcting the sentry. This is improper because not only is it outside the sentry's chain of command, it interrupts the sentry from the duties they are suppose to be performing.

If the officer has a problem how the sentry acts, they take it up with the watch commander...or ME, the provost marshal.

Long story short as it crosses the fields we are talking about, at the end of the day, who is holding the basket of eggs? It is that person outsiders should address themselves to.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:29 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
No, I did stupid things but I always had a "reason" in my mind.

Give kids credit for being thinking human beings. Because the brain is fully developed by about 25 (varies by person) doesn't mean that before that they're mindless.
People sometimes do mindless things. I did not say kids are mindless.

the comment about the brain being fully developed by about 25 was sarcasm.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:31 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
I'm not convinced the kid misbehaved and that this was done intentionally. I believe it was accidental.

I'm not sure how the mother failed to do her job. The OP stated hearing the mother remind the kid to be mindful of the door before getting into the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting