Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 12:23 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,491,591 times

Advertisements

Trust Fund. The kid is taken care of, yet can't blow it all at once. There are several kinds, so they need to talk to a lawyer. Several of my parents friends did this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 08:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
No. But I might buy a cottage for the addict at least to always have a place to live...if I was very wealthy leave a trust somehow to pay the taxes and utilities forever...and to follow up on repairs...while they owned it...didn't sell it.
When I gift money to a relative I always write a check directly to her Utility company ---esp before Winter....or else her dead beat son figures our how to get the money.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:22 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Set up a trust for the daughter at risk with the trustee authorized to disperse the funds for housing, food, further education, and a living allowance. Do not give her the entire allowance all at once.
That's probably the only way I'd do it, too.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:18 AM

537 posts, read 443,644 times
Unless a child that had substance abuse (and alcohol) problems has been reformed for many, many years, I would never leave any substantial inheritance to them.

I would form a Special Needs Trust and pay for basic needs like healthcare, car insurance and other basics from that trust. The best thing is that the trust cannot be touched by creditors if they run up a bunch of debt and get sued.

We have a daughter that's untrustworthy and cannot deal with money. Her two children are not showing signs of responsibility with money either. We've got to give another daughter more money than she really needs and we may have to give the rest to charity.

We worked too hard and sacrificed in order to save money, and we don't cherish giving it to people that will blow it all promptly.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:50 AM

735 posts, read 407,850 times
heck no

Old 04-14-2023, 09:50 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I'd put a stipulation in the will that the money is placed into a trust, and paid out as an annuity (lifetime payments, or 26 years like a lotto jackpot).
The condition of receiving the payment, is you have to produce urinalysis or hair follicle drug test every month or quarter. If you fail or choose to forfeit, the money goes to [insert your chosen charity here].

Obviously you have to provide the funds for a professional Executor, an impartial 3rd party with no pre-existing relationship to the trustee(s).

I'd be like being on parole/probation for the rest of your life, which is what a normal life is.
How much of the funds is the impartial third party going to take, though? 100K is only going to go so far especially with professional administrative fees and drug testing. Your kid would only get a fraction of that money.

Once our kids reach a certain age, we have to let them fly and choose their own course through life.

Most likely the addict kid will blow through that money like there is no tomorrow. It'll be gone within the year. But there is also a chance that a sudden windfall will make them feel like there is hope for their life and they'll try to do better. Ultimately, it'll be up to them. You can't do it for them no matter how much you love them.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:52 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Nope. You want to throw away your life, don't look to me to support your impending death.

Harsh? Yup. And i have cut my children mostly out of my will for a LOT Less, although still extremely hurtful behaviors.

There is NO obligation to do anything with one's assets other than what they specifically wish to do with them.

Old 04-14-2023, 02:30 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
A friend's sister has issues; their parents left all the money to the other two siblings, who dole it out as needed.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:11 PM

705 posts, read 504,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Nope. You want to throw away your life, don't look to me to support your impending death.

Harsh? Yup. And i have cut my children mostly out of my will for a LOT Less, although still extremely hurtful behaviors.

There is NO obligation to do anything with one's assets other than what they specifically wish to do with them.
Good.

I’ve seen what happens when you leave a loser money. They just destroy their life. Period. I know of a 19 year old kid was left a Trust fund plus a house on acreage worth millions. The kid got a few thousand a month to live on plus a yearly lump sum of $25,000. All from Grandmas estate after she died. The kid was all about drugs, alcohol and parties and a flop house for all the other derelicts and losers in town. Well known by the police and sheriff. Last I heard he lost the property and he was in prison. Great job Grandma, you were stupid for leaving all that wealth to someone that should have been living under a bridge and meanwhile, some deserving person struggles through life doing every thing right. She did way way more harm giving a scumbag money.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:37 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If she 's an addict, that's exactly what she's likely to do. Many wealth addicts end up dead in a bathtub.

The father would be wasting his money, and possibly contributing to an overdose.
The truth.

Most rich kids with addiction issues end up passing away at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting