Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You More Concerned These Days About Your Kids?
Definitely Yes 10 29.41%
Emphatically No 13 38.24%
A little bit, but not a big deal 4 11.76%
We are all crazy now, so who knows 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 09:14 PM

1,028 posts, read 436,723 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what it's like to be a parent these days and if parents feel their kids have suffered from any effects of the pandemic, lockdowns, less civil society, more polarized politics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 05:43 AM

1,827 posts, read 846,019 times
How do you feel about your kids in this regard?

Old 05-31-2023, 10:50 AM

1,028 posts, read 436,723 times
Very bizarre that parents have avoided this poll. I wonder why.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,136,113 times
It's a tough subject to discuss, and to admit that your kids are in a less than ideal school situation.

I'm worried about our 3 grandkids. My wife retired from teaching and is now helping out as a volunteer at the middle one's (age 7) school. They are pretty much out of control worse now than when they returned to the classroom after the2020-21 lockdown. Some of that of course could be the teacher, but with many of the more experienced teachers burning out and changing to other work, the younger and less experienced teachers have to deal with a more difficult group of kids. With lower overall enrollment districts are also having to lay off people, and the first to go are para-educators and classroom aids helping the teachers. Then there is the recent school shootings, and having to worry about that happening at your kid or grandkid's school. One teacher interviewed last week told the news reporter that she considered the job too dangerous and was quitting after this year ends in June.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:20 PM

1,827 posts, read 846,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
How bout you answer first based on your kids.

I tend to avoid answering 'polls' from members I suspect are non-parents and also loaded topics like COVID or politics guised as questions about kids.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:59 PM

16,888 posts, read 16,154,381 times
I don't think it's a yes or no answer. The whole pandemic thing with school and business closures, travel restrictions, being warned away from visiting with their grandparents and the not so peaceful protesting that was happening in the cities and being broadcast on the news and social media was pretty...unsettling.

My kids were teens when this all was happening and shut downs in our local area were very short lived. They both worked throughout the pandemic, went to school, met up with friends and even did some traveling. We saw grandparents, too. Life went on for us even as the world was going crazy.

I do not regret the way we approached the situation. It was very eye opening how quickly others became basically shut ins. It was sad to me that so many parents didn't step up to keep their kids reading and learning at home when the schools were shut down. It concerned me how many folks bought into the mask hysteria or at least claimed that they did.

My kids were old enough to be able to think for themselves and follow what was happening, if anything, they have learned to be more skeptical. I do wonder about the younger kids and how such strange times may have impacted them. But kids are resilient which is a good thing.

Old 05-31-2023, 03:08 PM

12,583 posts, read 8,816,051 times
Quote:
Your question is too undefined. The title says "since the pandemic" which implies the question is about COVID. But the initial post throws in a bit of the kitchen sink. Which can make the same person, talking about the same kids, answer yes, no, maybe, and other answers all at the same time. Then what age group of kids are you talking about? Littles? Elementary? Middle School? High School? College? ???

Old 05-31-2023, 03:26 PM

11,091 posts, read 7,834,862 times
Our kids were too young to suffer any of the effects of the Covid pandemic. We’re raising ours on a farm and we will home school them.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:33 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,648,722 times
Quote:
Just wondering what it's like to be a parent these days and if parents feel their kids have suffered from any effects of the pandemic, lockdowns, less civil society, more polarized politics, etc.
Not at all. I feel better about my kids post-pandemic. They had lots of great experiences during and after the pandemic.

The people of our town don’t seem to get wound up in politics.

Local society seems just as civil post-pandemic as pre-pandemic.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:38 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,366,363 times
Pick up a newspaper from 100 years ago. The politics are no more polarizing now than they were at any point in history. It's a fallacy that I've been hearing my whole life- whether politics, environment, economy... "[fill in the blank] is so bad right now, it's the worst it has ever been!". Life is fine.

I'm a parent and I treat my kids no different now than I did in 2019. They still run off and play with their friends most days, and we just stick our head out the door and yell for them to come home at dinner time, or send a group text to the parents in the neighborhood "can you please send mine home for dinner" if they happen not to be playing outside. They are 7 and 9. Been playing that way since the oldest was 5, although the youngest has only been tagging along for 3-ish years. Since it was established very early on that covid doesn't hurt regular kids, our neighborhood never stopped playing even at the height of the pandemic. And everyone was- and still is- fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting