Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:00 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Well I guess your just going to have to feel bad because.. I have 2 girls(One is 16, the other is 9)..Why do you ask? What it is the cow milk part or feeding them earlier and letting them play giving them a warm bath before bed part...?
I nursed both my girls..I also supplemented formula at night which helped them sleep better.. And Oh my goodness I even fed them baby food starting at a 1month old... I nursed both of my girls until they were 6months and switched them to formula for a month then regular milk..My doctor told me at after 9 months old babies should be starting regular milk (be getting off the bottle) drinking from a sippy cup and starting to be potty trained.. keeping them on the bottle after 9 months old can damage thier teeth.
Why I have seen babies on the bottle at 2-3 years old still eating baby foods and seen women still nursing at 3-4 years old with the kids still eating baby foods.. by then the kids should be drinking from a cup and eating off a plate..

So No I don't think that her stopping with the nursing is a bad thing..Im sure the kid can handle the change..Im also sure she would like to get some sleep at night too... she can change him to a bottle if she feels better. Feed him good a couple hours before bed,..let him play, give him a nice warm bath and put him to bed.. if he starts to cry or throw a fit.. let him cry himself to sleep.. that will not hurt him either..(crying makes their lungs stronger) maybe he is crying because he knows you'll come to his rescue and hold him. Try something different ya never know it just might work.
Curious what part of the country you live in. I have never heard a doctor recommend a) cow's milk before 1 due to possible allergies b) potty training at 9 months!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Again; that is your choice. There is nothing wrong with letting an 8 month old cry it out. The reasoning behind it is simple, as mimberly said, babies need to learn how to fall asleep on their own. They can't do that if mommy keeps nursing. I did this with my son, and he did not learn how to self soothe himself until I stopped nursing him every time he cried.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with a baby crying for mommy's attention they do it all the time. But neither the mommy nor the baby will learn if the baby is crying because he needs comfort or does not know how to self soothe.

This is a parenting choice, and there is nothing wrong with letting a little one cry! Not only was this recommended to me by the pediatrician, but there are many books out there to support this.

Yes there are different reasons for babies to cry, and I think any mother would know if the baby is crying in distress; this is an extremely different cry than a baby that does not know how to soothe themselves. And again.....it is not for everyone, you need to know what is right for you and your family. If you don't agree with it, don't do it.

Think of it this way. You are trying to teach your son how to ride a bike. So you hold onto the bike while he rides. You think he is ready and you let go, and he falls. He cries and hurts himself. The next time he rode the bike, you know if he falls he'll cry. So do you hold on? Or do you let go, and let him learn?
Well-I'm not going to argue with you on how clueless some pediatricians are and if I listened to them in terms of discipline advice, I would be completely screwed and I guess it's useless for me to say how much I despise Ferber, Ezzo, Babywise and such.
I have heard many theories on self-soothing and I guess we will just end "agreeing to disagree" because I will never ever see eye to eye with you on "cry it out" position.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 AM

909 posts, read 3,362,876 times
Quote:
I nursed both my girls..I also supplemented formula at night which helped them sleep better.. And Oh my goodness I even fed them baby food starting at a 1month old... I nursed both of my girls until they were 6months and switched them to formula for a month then regular milk..My doctor told me at after 9 months old babies should be starting regular milk (be getting off the bottle) drinking from a sippy cup and starting to be potty trained.. keeping them on the bottle after 9 months old can damage thier teeth.

Actually, the AAP no longer recommends this method of feeding. They recommend that that a baby be exclusively breastfed or formula fed until at least 4 months old (6 is better), then starting solid food. Also, not all docs tell mothers to switch to cow's milk at 9 months. You have to look at what the baby is already eating. And what if they child had a dairy allergy or intolerance. Finally, it's not the bottle than damages the teeth, it's giving them a bottle to sleep with that does that. The milk can pool in their mouth if they fall asleep with it in their mouth. If you limit bottles to feeding times it's not a problem. Also, breastmilk has antimicrobial properties, so it's even less likely that nursing back to sleep will cause tooth decay.

Quote:
(crying makes their lungs stronger)
I truly think this only applies to when a baby is born. Crying clears all the fluids out of their lungs and helps them expand. After that this statement has no scientific basis whatsoever.

I'm not against crying it out. As you see from my pp I did this with both my kids, and it was very effective.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,678 times
Quote:
Curious what part of the country you live in. I have never heard a doctor recommend a) cow's milk before 1 due to possible allergies b) potty training at 9 months!
Look I'm not going to argue with you about how I chose to raise my children.. because we would be here all day doing that! I did it my way you did it yours.. we agree to disagree..thats what a forum is for.. I gave my opinion which is VERY different from yours...and you gave yours which is VERY different from mine. You do what you have to do when raising your child.. if it is taking them off the bottle early then so be it..(my youngest daughter was walking at 8half months old) if it is potty training them early well good.. that saves you money from buying diapers. She posted out wanting advise not just from you but everyone. She can choose how she wants to deal with her baby..It is just an opinion.. if she chooses to stop nursing thats her decision.. I didn't say she had to quit!!.. I gave my advise if you don't like it well then that's you. Not everyone agrees and has the same opinion as you do..

Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
He may be waking up and not knowing how to self sooth; nursing soothes him back to sleep. Try this technique:

1. Go in and rub his back, let him know you are there and walk out of the room.
2. Wait five minutes if he is still crying, go back in rub his back and leave
3. Wait ten minutes and repeat
4. Wait fifteen minutes if he is still crying then he really may be hungry.

I did this with my son and it took three nights, he slept through the night. He is now the greatest sleeper! I tell him bedtime, he goes right to sleep.

My daughter on the other hand is tough!! She was one of those blessed children who slept through the night the moment I brought her home from the hospital!! Now since she is older she plays the "I am hungry, I am thirsty"etc.
That worked like a charm for us as well. He usually did not cry past the first interval.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
We've received tons of advice on feeding our babies and it seems to me that there's no one correct answer. I've never heard of a baby dying because someone put cereal in the bottle at one month or a sippy cup at 8 months, etc. As long as they're gaining weight, isn't that what's important?

One of my twins did better last night and went 3.5 hours sleeping (a little over a month old). I had household chores to do around 7 p.m. and he was fussy, so I popped him in the Baby Bjorn and went about my business, which he seemed to enjoy, and it kept him awake for an hour and a half. Then he ate 5 oz., a bath and diaper change, and he was out. The other twin slept while I was doing housework and although he had a bottle/bath/change, he didn't want to go to sleep. Seems like the trick is to have us both at home during that time period to keep them awake for an hour or two prior to bedtime.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We've received tons of advice on feeding our babies and it seems to me that there's no one correct answer. I've never heard of a baby dying because someone put cereal in the bottle at one month or a sippy cup at 8 months, etc. As long as they're gaining weight, isn't that what's important?
Putting cereal in the bottles is not a good idea (except for specific medical conditions). Most importantly because it is a choking hazard. In some infants, their sucking and swallowing is not well-coordinated yet, leading to the possibility that they could aspirate cereal into the lungs. But also, because cereal is heavy but has empty calories (less nutrition) than either breastmilk or formula, so it fills the baby up so they get less of the good stuff, which can actually cause them to gain weight more slowly. Cereal should be given when it supplements, not replaces, breastmilk or formula. That's why it should be given on a spoon, after the baby has nursed or had a bottle. Also, any solids should ideally be given after 6 months, but before 4 months they have a much greater risk of contributing to allergies.

Send a Message in a Bottle, but Not Cereal (http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ada/hs.xsl/home_12985_ENU_HTML.htm - broken link)

Cereal in a Bottle?

When and how do I start solid foods? - DrGreene.com (http://www.drgreene.com/21_561.html - broken link)

Frequently Asked Questions - Assuring Pediatric Nutrition in the Community (http://depts.washington.edu/nutrpeds/faq/general/infant.htm - broken link)

Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Look I'm not going to argue with you about how I chose to raise my children.. because we would be here all day doing that! I did it my way you did it yours.. we agree to disagree..thats what a forum is for.. I gave my opinion which is VERY different from yours...and you gave yours which is VERY different from mine. You do what you have to do when raising your child.. if it is taking them off the bottle early then so be it..(my youngest daughter was walking at 8half months old) if it is potty training them early well good.. that saves you money from buying diapers. She posted out wanting advise not just from you but everyone. She can choose how she wants to deal with her baby..It is just an opinion.. if she chooses to stop nursing thats her decision.. I didn't say she had to quit!!.. I gave my advise if you don't like it well then that's you. Not everyone agrees and has the same opinion as you do..
wolfeyes I was not judging you in the least; I am only curious what part of the country you live; I have never heard that before. Thus my question.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Well-I'm not going to argue with you on how clueless some pediatricians are and if I listened to them in terms of discipline advice, I would be completely screwed and I guess it's useless for me to say how much I despise Ferber, Ezzo, Babywise and such.
I have heard many theories on self-soothing and I guess we will just end "agreeing to disagree" because I will never ever see eye to eye with you on "cry it out" position.
Very good idea!!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Putting cereal in the bottles is not a good idea (except for specific medical conditions). Most importantly because it is a choking hazard. In some infants, their sucking and swallowing is not well-coordinated yet, leading to the possibility that they could aspirate cereal into the lungs. But also, because cereal is heavy but has empty calories (less nutrition) than either breastmilk or formula, so it fills the baby up so they get less of the good stuff, which can actually cause them to gain weight more slowly. Cereal should be given when it supplements, not replaces, breastmilk or formula. That's why it should be given on a spoon, after the baby has nursed or had a bottle. Also, any solids should ideally be given after 6 months, but before 4 months they have a much greater risk of contributing to allergies.

Send a Message in a Bottle, but Not Cereal (http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ada/hs.xsl/home_12985_ENU_HTML.htm - broken link)

Cereal in a Bottle?

When and how do I start solid foods? - DrGreene.com (http://www.drgreene.com/21_561.html - broken link)

Frequently Asked Questions - Assuring Pediatric Nutrition in the Community (http://depts.washington.edu/nutrpeds/faq/general/infant.htm - broken link)
My daughter had severe reflux and from the time she was about 3mo we had her on a combination of cereal and formula. She did much better after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting