U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:36 PM

213 posts, read 649,045 times

Advertisements

Hello, well here's the situation the father of my daughter does nothing, no child support, no visits, no nothing. The only thing he does is call in the mornings when she is gone to school. I tell him to call her in the afternoons so he can talk to her, but he won't. On Friday's he says that he is coming to get her for the weekends but never does. She is hearing impaired and has other problems as well.
I tried to take the matter in my own hands and put him on child support, but for some reason where i live they claim they can never find him although they have his phone number, job number, social security number and his sister's address. So then I tried to make him spend time with her by dropping her off for the thanksgiving holiday since he said he wanted her.. the only thing was i didn't pick her up until January. I told him he needs to spend time with her. He lives in valdosta Georgia, I live in Tallahassee Florida. He took it upon himself to bring her to Tallahassee and drop her off with one of his aunts without me knowing. His aunt pressed charges on me and called children and familes because I wasn't in town when he dropped her off. I didn't even know he had dropped her off. He didn't tell me anything.
But any way i stopped trying to make him take responsibilty for her and now we are about to move to north Georgia. I won't be able to make him care for her then and was wondering was there anything legally that i could do to make him be responsible. Or is it just going to have to be me and her. I am sad that you are blessed with a child but want nothing to do with her. Every parent wants to give their child the world and its just a shame that he doesn't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,513,384 times
How old is your daughter? How can you just drop her off with such an irresponsible person?

Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM

3,855 posts, read 12,809,803 times
You can have his wages garnished. If they know where he works there should be no reason why they couldn't.

We finally took this step against my wife's ex because he decided he wasn't going to pay his child support for 6 months. It works well....and it gets his attention.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 PM

Default he's just being a jerk

My daughter is five years old. I feel like this I was only 20 when i had my daughter and i grew up and was responsible. He was in his late twenties now early thirties. He was responsible for her when we were together. Why can't he be responsible now that we are apart? He has the ability, he just doesn't want to.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:09 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,513,384 times
Do not force him to take care of her. It will hurt her self esteem. Her father already abandoned her. Do not make her feel she is a burden to you. Children will blame themselves for things that are not their fault. What you need is to find the right resources for child support. Maybe someone in this forum can help you. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,571,944 times
If you have an order for child support, in Florida you can take it to the Department of Revenue and they will garnish his wages and collect it for you.

If you do not have an order, go to your county courthouse to the circuit court and file pro se' (without an attorney) for support. The people there will give you the paperwork- you'll have to fill out information on your financial situation and he will be ordered to do the same.

Bring ALL information about thim that you have- including address, phone, SS#, address/phone of his parents and relatives and his employer.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:20 PM

Default I guess you are right

You are probably right. That was another thought I had. If I do try to make her go up there to see him he will probably mistreat her anyway. I just don't want to be one of those women that one day has to hear " you are the reason my father and I don't have a relationship." Because i tried. I don't need him financially, my daughter is very well taken care of, I just wanted her to have a relationship with her father. But i guess that is not my will.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,358,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Do not force him to take care of her. It will hurt her self esteem. Her father already abandoned her. Do not make her feel she is a burden to you. Children will blame themselves for things that are not their fault. What you need is to find the right resources for child support. Maybe someone in this forum can help you. Good luck.
I don't think you should force the relationship either. You can't make him be a father no matter how much you or your daughter would like it. He either gets it or he doesn't. But as far as child support goes, I would make him pay his fair share. You just can't go around making babies without having some responsibility to them. If he has no interest in his daughter, then get full custody rights legally. It may be just you and your daughter, so make it the best you can for both of you.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
If you have an order for child support, in Florida you can take it to the Department of Revenue and they will garnish his wages and collect it for you.

If you do not have an order, go to your county courthouse to the circuit court and file pro se' (without an attorney) for support. The people there will give you the paperwork- you'll have to fill out information on your financial situation and he will be ordered to do the same.

Bring ALL information about thim that you have- including address, phone, SS#, address/phone of his parents and relatives and his employer.
You can also go after his tax returns every year for unpaid child support I believe.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I just don't want to be one of those women that one day has to hear " you are the reason my father and I don't have a relationship." Because i tried. I don't need him financially
And you tell her, "No, your father is the reason you don't have a relationship with him." And even if you don't need him financially, go after the child support and put it in an account for her education, marriage, or first house. He needs to be responsible for something. And who knows, maybe he will grow up and change his ways and want to be part of her life. But right now, you just can't make him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting