Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I can only be nice ONCE to people like these, and complaints like these don't end with kids. Then they'll start picking on my dog next.

This is how exactly I would respond if approached a second time:

"Ma'am, I truly feel bad that you are having problems with kids on your property, but unless you could show me irrefutable proof that it is my kids you are referring to, you need to stop ringing my bell. Otherwise, my lawyer will be ringing yours!"
BIngo - sounds like the couple without kids are bored and looking for some good old-fashioned pestering to occupy their time. If you cut them off and tell them to stop coming to your door, they will be forced to turn their passive agressive behavior towards someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Suggest that if they are concerned about vandalism to their property, they need to buy and install video surveillance equipment. If something ever goes to court over damages, then the judge will demand proof anyway. They will toss the accusation out of court.

Thus the reason for the increasing popularity of the video systems. Esp. if you have proof (kid was on a sleepover) that your child did NOT do what they said.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:01 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Had problems like that .... after several 'discussions' with the mother to no avail, I finally send a certified letter [very carefully worded] advising them of the bith the Nevad State Trespass Law AND the laws regarding physical contact wiht my g'children. I advised them that if either should occur [trespass or physical] by either them or their children I would file charges......we have not even seen anyof them or heard from any of them in over 2 years.....there is peace in the valley.......

Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
I'd probably turn my doorbell into one of those shocking handshake gag toys.

Overall, make sure your kids do understand that they aren't to go anywhere near the house in question. Then let the desperate-for-attention woman know that if she cannot prove her case (with video), you will get a restraining order.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
I have the Same Problem, my kids can just fart wrong and my one Neighbor will be acusing my Kids for something that HIS OWN KIDS had done. ( His older Kid LIES and makes the little brother do things so he wont get into trouble)
So Neighbor will come over, complaining about my Boys.... And I have the same answer every time.

"Did you see my Boys do this?" When he sais NO( which i know he will cause his Boy is the one saying it was my Boys) Then I tell him in not so many Words"
WELL when you have SOME REAL proofe that MY boys did this, dont bother comming over"

He is actuelly the JOKE of the NEighbor hood, and noone like his Family. Oh well, so far he never had any proofe .......

Some People.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
We had this problem when we first moved in. Snotty little girl down street loves to tattle on everyone for things she and her brother did. Finally caught her in a lie after several months of defending my kids to her mother, she comes to my door telling me that my son who had been inside all day was in trouble with another neighbor for ripping out her flowers?!!! I politely told her that she needed to check her facts as my kids were all inside and had been all day, perhaps she needed to go and speak with the neighbor herself.

Haven't had a problem since then with my kids being the only ones to blame. Now the tattling problem amongst the kids in the neighborhood I finally solved a year and half after being here. It was ridiculous everyday at least three different times, i have a little kid banging on my door telling me that so and so did this or that. Now one thing I can't stand is tattling. (unless its life or death or involves someone getting hurt) I finally had had enough and went out and spoke rather frankly with all the children that I was tired of it and unless my children were hurting anyone or breaking the law I didn't want them banging on my door snitching on one another. I went on to inform them that it seemed to me that they all seemed to take quite a bit of pleasure in telling on one another and getting others in trouble. Well of course they all went running home to their parents crying about how Miss movingtohouston called us tattletales. I figured I stirred up quite a bit of trouble with the parents on the street but I actually had several come over and thank me for saying what they had wanted to say themselves but didn't for fear of insulting the kids parents or whatever.

Sometimes you just have to speak up.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I agree with all the above suggesting a camera. You might even buy one for her.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:31 PM

170 posts, read 581,622 times
Well, first I would tell them that they are being petty and anal about their grass. THEN I would tell you to keep your boys the heck away from there(your just asking for problems) and then don't allow their boys to your house.

Or better yet, get yourself a nice gallon size of roundup and dump it on their grass. lmao J/K Sheesh, kids are kids.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
If I were you... I would say this next time they came to your door...

"Look, I respect the fact that you are irritated with children in our neighborhood, but what I won't tolerate is exaggeration. You are blaming my kids for actions you claimed to see them do when they are not even here. I would REALLY like for you to stop." Don't argue with them because they seem like they are just angry people looking for a fight. Don't engage... that would make their day.
Nice. I like that way of dealing with it.

My sympathy to the OP, I also have a rather strange neighbour who can't tolerate kids. He blamed mine for pulling up his solar lights - something which happened after midnight, and my kids are 4 and 6! He actually brought the police to my door - I pointed out that they go to bed at 8 and he might want to consider it was a prank by some of the local teenagers who go through our development at night.

Some people just like to start wars.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I had neighbors who denied their kids were the ones doing stuff to my yard. They would come over, climb the trees, tear off branches, throw rocks at one another and hit the house, leave their toys over here. I'd go over to their houses and their parents would claim their kids hadn't even been home that day, or hadn't left the house all day, sometimes they'd go as far as suggesting my then 2 yo had done it, etc.

One night, about 7pm, my then 2 yo son starting yelling out his bedroom window. I went over but didn't see anything. He told me that Zach (10) and William(6) had been in the tree. I went outside and branches were everywhere... it was one of those super huge fir trees... with about a 15 ft circumference at it's base. The tree was pretty torn up.

I went over to their houses, and got the same story... "Not our boys" "It was probably YOUR child" "Zach hasn't left the house all day".

I was frustrated as I walked back home. And then I noticed their scooters, thrown under the tree. I picked them up, locked them in the shed and walked back over to each of their houses.

I apologized for accusing their sons. I let them know the culprits had left their scooters in my yard. I told them I would be selling the scooters at a yard sale in the fall.

Base police showed up on my doorstop 20 minutes later. The neighbors accused me of stealing them from their front yard. I explained the situation to the officers. They laughed, told me "Good for you!" and asked what I wanted to do to resolve it. I said I wanted the parents to apologize to my son for calling him a liar, then me for accusing me of theft. Then their sons could pick up their mess TO MY SATISFACTION and I would return the scooters.

One of the dad's started screaming when the police explained what I'd said (they only lived 2 and 3 doors down), but the other boy's grandmother came over right away and apologized stating that the other parents had convinced her I was making this all up. The 6 yo cleaned it all up in about 30 minutes. I gave him back his scooter. I donated the other one to Goodwill the next day.

The kids stayed out of my yard after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting