Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,351 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I think it's foolish for a woman in their 70's to give birth to children. A child deserves to have - at the VERY least - one of their parents around long enough to get them into adulthood. I can see a middle aged woman having children but giving birth in their 60's or 70's or older? A child shouldn't have to be orphaned so young - which is more than likely going to be the case with a parent being so old. It's one thing to lose a parent as an adult, it's another to lose an elderly mother as a child - these type of circumstances are NOT fair to the children. But whatever, I guess some elderly women have that insatiable need to procreate regardless of consequences. I echo what another poster said, I feel sorry for her kid. To think that this is an intentional decision by a person old enough to know better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:15 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
To each their own, you know, there's no law against it... but honestly I do feel a bit sorry for her kid.

I've also read that some scientists are beginning to theorize that the increase in children being born with autism and developmental disorders is related to the higher number of mother's waiting to have children until they are in their late thirties and 40's to have children. Women's bodies just don't have all the enzymes and hormones at 40 that they have in their 20's... if we are having to resort to fertility drugs to even get pregnant, maybe that's trying to tell us something?
I've heard of that research, too. The study I read actually showed some correlation to the age of the father and children being born with Autism. Men might be fertile for a long time, but the researchers are finding the quality of those little swimmers gets worse with age.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times
I think it was a BBC story which spoke of the men's "swimmers" changing and losing quality as they age... something to do with DNA changing as we age (it happens in all of us)...

I agree that movie Children of Men is far-fetched... but I still think it could happen if we aren't careful. Maybe there are 7 bil. people on the planet now... and let's say half are men and half are women (I don't know really what the numbers are of men vs women on the planet?)... so maybe we have 3.5 bil. women. Of those, how many are able to carry a child to term? How many are already sterile or post-menopausal? Of the girls who haven't hit puberty yet, how many will be able to bear children? And of the boys - how many will have the ability to reproduce? I mean... yes it seems like we have enough people to go around and then some... billions of people on the planet... too many people it seems... just thinking about it makes us feel immortal. But we are more susceptible, and fragile, than I think most of us are willing to believe.

I would not be surprised if there came a time when for whatever reason it became a rarity for a woman to become pregnant or carry their babies to full-term. There are other mammals and species on this planet who do not bear young when their environment is not ideal or would not sustain their young.

It might be a thousand years off, but it would make sense to me with the way things have been handled so far, and with all the things people are doing to their bodies today and all the drugs (illegal and legal) they take and all the things we eat and pollute our planet with.

I mean... of all the water on the planet, only 1% of it is available for human use and what are we doing with that 1%? We're filling it with chemicals that we haven't the ability to filter out yet, and then ingesting it, again and again.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM

7 posts, read 14,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i really think it's too old to be a mother at that age. i am 31 and i am tired every day. what does this woman feel? the child is too young to think of it now, but in a couple of years she will be wondering if at any moment her mother will pass away and she will be "alone". i know her mother has provisions set, and any child can go through that no matter what age the parents are, but there is more of a risk in this case.
That's pretty old, but I had my first baby at 40. I am now 42 and a single mom to a toddler. I work full time and take care of my daughter. I get a little tired sometimes, but I think if you take care of yourself, it's not impossible.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,577 times
Forget the to each his own crap. A 70 year old woman should be a grandmother....not giving birth. It's not fair to the child to have a parent who can't do anything with them. I have no issue with women using fertility treatments to get pregnant but the doctor who did this should lose his license! Especially knowing she aborted 2 pregnancies. If she didn't want them when she was young, why should she have one now??? And I'm pro choice but the point is why did she wait until her decision would have an adverse effect on the child? Some people in this world are just plain crazy!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,491 times
Hmmm... I just skimmed the article, but I didn't see anything about the dad... who he is or his age. I'm sure if he was only 30, there'd be a lot of "oh hell yeah... get it!!" going on! lmao But if he's 75 or 80... could be a whole lot of ewww going on too!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Hmmm... I just skimmed the article, but I didn't see anything about the dad... who he is or his age. I'm sure if he was only 30, there'd be a lot of "oh hell yeah... get it!!" going on! lmao But if he's 75 or 80... could be a whole lot of ewww going on too!
She did in-vitro so there is no dad, just a donor. She had 2 abortions when she was young and married.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:12 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
I think it depends on your support group. It is selfish to have kids knowing you probably will die before they get to 9th grade. Grandparents taking care of the grandchildren are because the parents are unavailable. IT is not a first choice.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:46 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,042 times
Gee, it makes me feel like I was a kid having a baby. lol. I was 32 when my son was born, and 38 when my daughter was born. I thought for sure I was an "older" mom with both kids. My son is now 9.5, and my daughter is 3.5 years old. I am 41 (almost 42). This 70 year old mom makes me feel like my age is just a drop in the bucket. I give her alot of credit. At 41, I definetly don't have as much energy as I did 6 years earlier. My daughter can wear me out big time! lol.

In a way, my feelings are mixed. On the one hand I feel it's a woman's right to bear a child at any age. If she is in good health, emotionally, physically and financially sound, then why not? However, I do feel a bit of sadness for her daughter. Realistically, she probably won't have a mother past her twenties. But then I have to say that things happen for a reason. Maybe this little girl will grow up and become something or discover something meaningful and wonderful. Maybe one day this little girl will grow up and have her own children. I am sure her children will be grateful she was born (even if her mother was 70 years old.)

Plus, I also have friend's and know others who have lost their mother's at very early ages (10 months and up). My dear friend lost her mother at age four. She still longs for her mom even though she is 40 years old. Heck, I lost my mother when she was 64 (I was 36). I still feel jipped out of a mother. But life still goes on...I am grateful that I had my mother for 36 years, rather than none at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting