Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 12:24 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
I know I never want kids because I had a rough childhood. I grew up in a rough environment!
Doesn't that make you want to provide a child with a GOOD environment? I'm assuming you wouldn't make the same mistakes, and would give your kids a better upbringing than what you had.

Quote:
I also don't want kids because I don't want grandchildren, I don't wanna feel old, I've already dealt with enough stress. I know guys my age who are childfree by choice!

I think parents are trying to mess with my mind. I'm never having children and I'm not going to have anyone try and discourage me from being childfree.
I'm not going to discourage you, especially since I'm a 31 year-old who is childfree by choice... but I recognize that things might change, even at my "advanced" age (LOL), and haven't written off having kids altogether. You might not feel like a young'un, but you are - only 19 years old for goodness sakes - and things change a LOT as you get older. I never believed that line when I was your age, but I swear it's true. If things don't change and you never have kids, I see nothing wrong with that either... better than bringing another unwanted child into the world, right?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Why can't a doctor do a strelization on a man? From what I've heard, a man must be married nad have children before he has a vasectomy?

Can a person lie and say he already had children?
Honestly, I don't know... guess they can't prove whether a man's had kids, like they can with women. It's probably easier to get a vasectomy anyway, since they're a more simple procedure & usually reversable. Though I hate to say it, I do agree with some of the others - wait at LEAST a few years before doing anything drastic, since 19 is way too young for these life-long decisions.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:35 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Doesn't that make you want to provide a child with a GOOD environment? I'm assuming you wouldn't make the same mistakes, and would give your kids a better upbringing than what you had.

I'm not going to discourage you, especially since I'm a 31 year-old who is childfree by choice... but I recognize that things might change, even at my "advanced" age (LOL), and haven't written off having kids altogether. You might not feel like a young'un, but you are - only 19 years old for goodness sakes - and things change a LOT as you get older. I never believed that line when I was your age, but I swear it's true. If things don't change and you never have kids, I see nothing wrong with that either... better than bringing another unwanted child into the world, right?
I'm almost 20. I stopped parenting when I had took care of my sister's kids when I was 15 and under. They were very stressful. I had to change diapers, clean up after them, take them to bed. They were just crying and getting on my nerves. I also was assigned to a summer job at 15 at a childcare center. I had to put with the same thing I had with my sister's boys, and they were driving me to the bone.

I decided enough is enough. I never want children and I'm sure about it. I know a man who made the decision at 15 that he was never going to have kids. He's 42 now and he has no regrets and is living a childfree life.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know... guess they can't prove whether a man's had kids, like they can with women. It's probably easier to get a vasectomy anyway, since they're a more simple procedure & usually reversable. Though I hate to say it, I do agree with some of the others - wait at LEAST a few years before doing anything drastic, since 19 is way too young for these life-long decisions.
I know a guy who had a vasectomy at 21 and one got vasectomized at 24. Neither regret their decision.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
lafan - if you google "child free forums", you will find several links to boards all about CF.

You seem to not appreciate any of the feedback here - regardless of how respectful a dissenting opinion might be. You should find lots of support of your choice on those boards. You might even find a lead on someone willing to do a vas at your age. Best of luck!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
lafan - if you google "child free forums", you will find several links to boards all about CF.

You seem to not appreciate any of the feedback here - regardless of how respectful a dissenting opinion might be. You should find lots of support of your choice on those boards. You might even find a lead on someone willing to do a vas at your age. Best of luck!
I'm gonna do that right now, see how many childfree women are there in California.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I'm almost 20. I stopped parenting when I had took care of my sister's kids when I was 15 and under. They were very stressful. I had to change diapers, clean up after them, take them to bed. They were just crying and getting on my nerves. I also was assigned to a summer job at 15 at a childcare center. I had to put with the same thing I had with my sister's boys, and they were driving me to the bone.

I decided enough is enough. I never want children and I'm sure about it. I know a man who made the decision at 15 that he was never going to have kids. He's 42 now and he has no regrets and is living a childfree life.
I'm not saying you're wrong, and obviously there are many happily childfree people... but 15 is NOT old enough to get an idea of parenting, or how you'll feel about it when you're older. I hated cleaning at 15, now I'm a neat freak - I also thought kids were annoying at that age, and now I work with children for a living. Nothing wrong with choosing not to have children, but I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised if your mind changes between 19 & 30-something.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I know a guy who had a vasectomy at 21 and one got vasectomized at 24. Neither regret their decision.
How old are they now?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong, and obviously there are many happily childfree people... but 15 is NOT old enough to get an idea of parenting, or how you'll feel about it when you're older. I hated cleaning at 15, now I'm a neat freak - I also thought kids were annoying at that age, and now I work with children for a living. Nothing wrong with choosing not to have children, but I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised if your mind changes between 19 & 30-something.
Well, I know I won't change. If I did, I would hate myself. If I was past 30, I would've had a vasectomy by then.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
How old are they now?
One is 42 and one and 25. They're both men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting