Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,551 times

Advertisements

i am in desperate need of answers and help. i used to live in oregon well i got in a few troubles and my mom is very mad. now she sent me to asia and she has my greencard and passport im still 17 and i was dropped out of school and i was to go to school here but she never told me only said it when i came here she changed everything that we talked about. and now shes saying i can't go back in america even when im 18. please tell me if this is true, i mean can't i get my passport and greencard or can't i report her to the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:59 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,211 times
You can go anywhere you want once you're 18. Before that, sorry, you're still a child and all decisions you made (short of manslaughter/murder), are basically invalid.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa1031 View Post
i am in desperate need of answers and help. i used to live in oregon well i got in a few troubles and my mom is very mad. now she sent me to asia and she has my greencard and passport im still 17 and i was dropped out of school and i was to go to school here but she never told me only said it when i came here she changed everything that we talked about. and now shes saying i can't go back in america even when im 18. please tell me if this is true, i mean can't i get my passport and greencard or can't i report her to the government?
Are you an American citizen? If so, contact the American Embassy in your country and explain your situation and they'll try to help. At 18 you make your own decisions and your mother can't say boo (unless you live at home rent free, drive a car your parents bought, and they pay for your schooling in which case you're pretty much a prisoner).

Old 06-12-2008, 09:36 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
I am guessing you are a permanent resident, your mom "forced" you to return to your former Asian country and now you want back?

How did you leave the country without your passport and greencard?

Anyway, the passport, whatever country, and greencard is the property of the government. The passport being the property of what government issued it and the greencard the property of the US government.

Your mom can not legally withhold those documents from you no matter what age as those things were issued to you for you, not to your mom.

I would tell her those things and if she does not budge, then contact USCIS and tell them that someone is in possession of your green card and will not give it to you.

But this is all a mute point because once again, how did you leave the country without your passport and greencard? I can see without the green card kind of, but I am positive they would ask to see a visa of some sort to check out your status in this country. The passport is a given.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,433 times
Default 18 year old son

he thinks he has no rules now and does not have to listen to what i have to say and if he does not like it he calls his dad. And yes he is a step-son and his dad says he is 18 now and can do what ever he wants to.This is his only kid, but he lives under are roof and i say that he does have rules along he is here but other ones say no on that. It is very upsetting, i done had 3 eighteen year lod and they was girls and they gave me some **** but not like this.So how can i make t5hem understand there is rules he has to fellow while he is under my roof.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,227 times
(Found elsewhere on the Web. Wish I could cliam it as my own...)

(Also, I smell a troll in this thread...)

Advice on dealing with a disobedient teenager:

This is really very simple.

You tell him that in 1 month, you're both going on a "father/son vacation" to "Asia". How fun! And, that you're both going to take in the sights and local culture. That's the story you tell him.

Then, you take yourself and him to get your pictures taken for your passports.

Then, after you get your passports, you buy two tickets to "Asia" - - a round trip ticket for you, and a one-way ticket for him.

You both fly to "Asia".

You get into a cab from the airport and go to thehotel where you've previously made separate room arrangements.

You get to the hotel and get to your rooms, but do not unpack your bags!

After getting him settled into his room, you take his passport without letting him see you. You then tell him you're going to the gift shop for a magazine.

However, the reality is that you're going to the front desk with an envelope. In the envelope is two hundred dollars in local money, and your note to him - -

"Dear Sonnyboy: So, you think you're old enough to dislike me and Mom, and to give us continual trouble? Then you're old enough to take care of yourself. I hope you like your new home and country. New languages are fun to learn, aren't they? Here's $200.00 to get you started in life. Don't waste it. Love, Dad."

Have the hotel clerk deliver the envelope to his room.

Then, you turn on your heels, take your bags out of the hotel, hail a cab, and get back to the airport. Fly home.

Let "Asia" take care of him.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

Advice on dealing with a disobedient teenager:

This is really very simple.

You tell him that in 1 month, you're both going on a "father/son vacation" to "Asia". How fun! And, that you're both going to take in the sights and local culture. That's the story you tell him.

Then, you take yourself and him to get your pictures taken for your passports.

Then, after you get your passports, you buy two tickets to "Asia" - - a round trip ticket for you, and a one-way ticket for him.

You both fly to "Asia".

You get into a cab from the airport and go to thehotel where you've previously made separate room arrangements.

You get to the hotel and get to your rooms, but do not unpack your bags!

After getting him settled into his room, you take his passport without letting him see you. You then tell him you're going to the gift shop for a magazine.

However, the reality is that you're going to the front desk with an envelope. In the envelope is two hundred dollars in local money, and your note to him - -

"Dear Sonnyboy: So, you think you're old enough to dislike me and Mom, and to give us continual trouble? Then you're old enough to take care of yourself. I hope you like your new home and country. New languages are fun to learn, aren't they? Here's $200.00 to get you started in life. Don't waste it. Love, Dad."

Have the hotel clerk deliver the envelope to his room.

Then, you turn on your heels, take your bags out of the hotel, hail a cab, and get back to the airport. Fly home.

Let "Asia" take care of him.
If someone did that to me I would literally panic to death.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:04 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times
An 18 year old is (hopefully) mature enough to make his/her own decisions.
An 18 year old is also old enough to move out.

So, easy solution: if he wants to make his own decisions, he makes them in his own home.;

Old 03-20-2011, 02:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

This thread is from 2008!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Post #5 is a new case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting