Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:19 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
For the record, I am a working mom. I am a federal employee, and my only "maternity leave" is that I am allowed to take off for 12 weeks, unpaid, and not lose my job (FMLA). That's hardly maternity leave, which is available in almost every other country as paid leave. Maybe it is silly to say that there should be government subsidizing of SAHMs for over $100K, but I don't think it is silly to advocate for some form of paid maternity leave.
I think that we should have to pay into the system. That is right and just. I have worked and stayed home w/ an infant for a year. I did both. I got my degree while my son was a small child and I always worked after he was a year old. I did the whole super mom thing. I do neither anymore for the record. I am disabled w/ Alzheimers now. I knoock no ones decision. I believe everyone should decide but always keep in my mind how hard it was working w/ a child was much harder than it ever was while staying at home w/ one child.

That being said. As far as advocating into the maternity leave. I don't believe so, I say that because I am disabled after many years of putting into the system and working for my other disability benifit insurance in order to recieve the income I recieve. It costs money in order to incur some money back. You always should be required to put into it. If people were able to get that type of benefit from having children, then everyone would have children. It isn't fair for all. It isn't reasonable for people w/ real medical situations that need the financial help who do take FMLA. My husband has taken FMLA for me and always because we have had to use savings. If the whole country were to pay for him to stay at home to be w/ me then everyone would have a reason to stay at home. Doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 01:43 PM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Personally, I think the pay should be directly proportional to how often she puts out.
I thought that was factored into the $126,000.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
If people were able to get that type of benefit from having children, then everyone would have children.
Not everyone. No way would 12 weeks of paid leave entice me to go thru a pregnancy, delivery and the rest of my life worrying about another life.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
I agree, I've been on both sides of the fence, too. Whether moms are taking care of children full-time or working full-time, we are all working hard. We all just need to support each other and know that every family situation is different.

I think what the OP intended to illustrate is that moms who raise their children full-time are saving their family a lot of money. Employed mothers have the satisfaction of a paycheck for their hard work but the benefits of a SAHM's hard work is not as tangible. So when an article states in $$ amounts how much a SAHM's time is worth, it makes them feel good. Unfortunately, our country looks at everything in terms of $$$$.

I read an article which stated a SAHM wears so many different hats: nanny, teacher, psychologist, chef, housekeeper, taxi driver, accountant, the list could go on and on.....

Whether SAH or working, or a combination of the 2, the most important thing to remember is do whatever makes you the happiest!!! Because
a happy mom is a good mom.
Well, I'm a working mom and I do all of the other stuff too b/c DH works nights so he can take our son to school and pick him up in the afternoons. I wish someone would just say I'm doing a good job instead of trying to make me feel like crap b/c I work. I do more at my son's school than the majority of SAHM's and that is the truth. Some SAHM's do a lot and others do only what they have to. And no amount of what they do will ever amount to $126,000! Maybe 1/3 of that but no way will a SAHM ever do enough to earn this much. I'd like to earn this at my job but it won't ever happen either. Everyone makes their choice and they have to live with it and deal with it. If it works for you, great. If not, find a way to fix it!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:10 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
Move to Germany. I saw that Germany provides mothers with a 14-week job-protected maternity leave, paid at 100 percent of the worker's net earnings. After this initial
maternity leave, paid parental leave is available to both parents until
the child's third birthday.

Amazing! Being paid to raise your child @ home. Who's in?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM

Too late for me. Mine are grown. If only I could be paid to stay home and care for my grandkids. Id love that!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:10 PM

78,396 posts, read 60,579,949 times
126k is basically someones attempt to bolster peoples appreciation for what a stay at home mom/hubby does. If they'd kept the number more reasonable they might have some small shred of credibility.

Tell you what, my wife passed away earlier this year and I have two kids around the age of 10....I guarantee you that if I put an add in the paper offering 40k a year to live in my house and do all the cooking, cleaning etc. while paying no rent, food etc. I would have a line of applicants stretching around the block. (This is not disparaging of the stay at home spouse....I can appreciate their value intensely as I do it all now.)

On a humerous note, why not value the ahem *other* services a wife provides in a marriage lol...sorry this just struck me funny if they itemized "marital relations" at the going rate on the list. LMAO.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Mathguy--so sorry about your loss. My heart goes out to you.

And I'm in agreement with you about the $126,000 being too much.

But hey, if it is worth that, I want my prorated share. I work full time and during the school year I pay about $80/month for after school care. During the summer I'm paying approximately $150/month for summer day-camp care. If I back out $720 (what I spend during the school year) and $1,800 (what I spend during the summer) can I still get the other $123,480? Because I'm still doing everything else that needs doing at home....

Old 06-19-2008, 01:34 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Is that 126k per child??? Because I have 6 children and I think I should "cash in" if that is the case!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Move to Germany. I saw that Germany provides mothers with a 14-week job-protected maternity leave, paid at 100 percent of the worker's net earnings. After this initial
maternity leave, paid parental leave is available to both parents until
the child's third birthday.

Amazing! Being paid to raise your child @ home. Who's in?
Yep! And their economy shows it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting