U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:26 PM

29,236 posts, read 52,617,348 times

Advertisements

There were no weapons on board or concerns about terrorism, but an American Eagle flight about to take off from the Raleigh-Durham, N.C., airport was turned back to its gate on Monday to remove two passengers.

The culprits? An upset, autistic toddler and his mother.

ABC News: Autistic Boy and Mom Kicked Off Plane
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:19 PM

909 posts, read 3,225,929 times
Tough situation. I agree with the mom that had the flight crew been a little more understanding, asked what she needed to make the boy calmed, things might not have escalated. We forget that flight attendants are also people, and some are not as kind or accommodating as others. My family has always had good experiences when flying with our kids, but from what I've heard it's not always the case.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,063,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
There were no weapons on board or concerns about terrorism, but an American Eagle flight about to take off from the Raleigh-Durham, N.C., airport was turned back to its gate on Monday to remove two passengers.

The culprits? An upset, autistic toddler and his mother.

ABC News: Autistic Boy and Mom Kicked Off Plane
First, the mother should have informed flight attendants or the attendant at the gate that her son was autistic or had special needs. Giving the crew a heads up would help & is appropriate. They even ask for people that need special assistance prior to the plane boarding. The mom had the opportunity. Curious to know what she did at this time. Wonder if she contacted the boy's pediatrican or doctor prior to flying to get any suggestions on how he may react & ways she could help him.

Secondly, I'm a mother. I've flown with child who was 2 yr old at the time on a 3hr flight by myself. It was incredibly trying & difficult on the way to our destination regardless of all the prepping I had been doing with him prior to the flight. One attendant kept glaring at me while another one went beyond out of her way to help. The passenger next to us was an older man who said that he lived in a retirement community & liked hearing some "youth" Way back was a little better.

If a passenger, regardless of age, sex, race, etc, is unable to stay in their seat & is rolling around on the ground, the flight cannot take off. This is turn effect EVERYONE on the plane plus connecting flights. That passenger needs to be taken off the flight if they are unable to adhere to the rules.

There is safety in mind along with straight out bottom line business.

While a difficult situation, the airline did what they are required.

This happened last year on some airline where a two yr old would not stay in their seat. The parents did all the talk shows, etc. Bottom line is PASSENGERS over the age of 2 need to be able to stay in their seats as directed. If one is unhappy with this, then don't fly.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,946,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
First, the mother should have informed flight attendants or the attendant at the gate that her son was autistic or had special needs. Giving the crew a heads up would help & is appropriate. They even ask for people that need special assistance prior to the plane boarding. The mom had the opportunity. Curious to know what she did at this time. Wonder if she contacted the boy's pediatrican or doctor prior to flying to get any suggestions on how he may react & ways she could help him.

Secondly, I'm a mother. I've flown with child who was 2 yr old at the time on a 3hr flight by myself. It was incredibly trying & difficult on the way to our destination regardless of all the prepping I had been doing with him prior to the flight. One attendant kept glaring at me while another one went beyond out of her way to help. The passenger next to us was an older man who said that he lived in a retirement community & liked hearing some "youth" Way back was a little better.

If a passenger, regardless of age, sex, race, etc, is unable to stay in their seat & is rolling around on the ground, the flight cannot take off. This is turn effect EVERYONE on the plane plus connecting flights. That passenger needs to be taken off the flight if they are unable to adhere to the rules.

There is safety in mind along with straight out bottom line business.

While a difficult situation, the airline did what they are required.

This happened last year on some airline where a two yr old would not stay in their seat. The parents did all the talk shows, etc. Bottom line is PASSENGERS over the age of 2 need to be able to stay in their seats as directed. If one is unhappy with this, then don't fly.
Wow. Common sense in your answer. How refreshing. These type of stories usually bring out the perpetual, angry victims that want the world to revolve around them. I always feel sorry for parents that are flying with little kids as I know how tough it is. That said, if the kid can't be seated they have to leave the plane. Reality is tough sometimes, but the vast majority of passengers have a right to get to their destination.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,864,070 times
121804...you said it well.thanks.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,497,096 times
Great post 121804~

I'm sorry but I agree with the flight crew. I'm a mother of 2 small boys & I've flown with them frequently since they were infants. First of all, we don't really know if the meltdown was because the boy was autistic or just because he was 2, or maybe a combination of the two. I guess it really doesn't matter. While I certainly feel for the boy & his mom, she apparently was ill prepared for what could happen. And why should the entire flight of paying passengers have to endure that for hours on end? Plus, I can imagine, as the article stated, if the boy was that emotionally & physically out of control, his health & safety were at risk as well.

Maybe the situation could have been handled more 'delicately' but I think the appropriate measures were taken.

And I'm betting the mother is pondering a lawsuit or news/talk show circuit as we speak...

Last edited by PixiStix; 06-25-2008 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,211,923 times
I agree, if he couldn't stay in his seat belted in, he needed to be off the plane. If the mother has flown before, she would have known the power it takes to get those things off the ground and he would have been THROWN and injured, not to mention the people his body weight being thrown could have hurt.

I refuse to ride in a car where people are not belted in and I sure wouldn't fly in a plane where they weren't belted in.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 PM

617 posts, read 1,999,311 times
I flew with my granddaughter last year to Hawaii from Pittsburgh. Long flight. Since she was two, we didn't have to get her a ticket, she sat on our laps. That meant that she wasn't belted in. In fact, we were told (by a flight attendant/friend) that it was better to hold her than to buy a seat for her.

I mention this because it seems that just a little patience and consideration could have gone a long way toward making this flight pleasant for everyone. I've flown enough to know that some airline personnel are wonderful while others are downright nasty. Sounds like the crew on this flight were tired and not in the mood to assist those passengers who needed a little more care. Shame on that crew.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,011 times
Default Autistic Boy - Plane

All the Mom's who are saying something I would like to ask ARE there kids AUTISTIC. Do they really know that is virutally IMPOSSIBLE to manage Autistic kids when they throw tantrums.

Would appreciate comments in support of the mother from real suffering Mom's of Autistic Kids. Others are simply talking without knowing anything about autism. A guy suffering from Cancer will feel what is the REAL pain,others are simply preachers.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,063,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinhk View Post
All the Mom's who are saying something I would like to ask ARE there kids AUTISTIC. Do they really know that is virutally IMPOSSIBLE to manage Autistic kids when they throw tantrums.

Would appreciate comments in support of the mother from real suffering Mom's of Autistic Kids. Others are simply talking without knowing anything about autism. A guy suffering from Cancer will feel what is the REAL pain,others are simply preachers.
I know many a parent who have children with special needs & challenges.

Guess what, they know what to do & what NOT TO DO for their child.

The mother should be aware of how her son would react to confinement.

You are using autism as an excuse. It is a real thing & parents who have been blessed with these special children have learned to adjust their lifestyles in order to make the life of their child as normal & happy as it can be; that may mean not being able to fly on a plane.

The boy could not stay seated under this situation. The boy, therefore, could not fly on a plane due to legitimate safety issues.

There are rules that apply that cannot take into consideration special needs.

I was on a flight a few years ago where a woman went into some sort of serious arrest due to complications from an illness & surgery. She was thrashing around in her seat & screaming. People were freaking out & we were 1 hour into a 3 hr flight. Flight had to land in the middle of nowhere. NO ONE on the plane had this airport as their destination. All 124 passengers had to stay over night in Kansas City & EVERYONE was inconvienced. This passenger had no right to be flying yet she took it upon herself to do so b/c she didn't want to drive. On top of that, we were confined to the plane for 94 minutes after it landed while the paramedics & police did all the paperwork. The airline had to pay for the hotels, meals & rebookings. This passenger's choice ended up costing the airline a ton of money & effecting over 100 people.

Parents of special needs children face challenges every day, especially those who are autistic. I taught several autistic children. Their parents know what to do & what their child can & cannot handle. If it is too much, then you get off the plane. Plain & simple.

And almost all parents I have encountered never, ever make an excuse. They treat their child as normal as they can & never do something that would cause such unneccessary turmoil.

And austistic children can fly & many do just fine. This boy, unfortunately, was just not able to handle the situation at the time. And the mother pointed the finger which is sad.

Last edited by 121804; 07-12-2008 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting