Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:13 PM

39 posts, read 126,890 times

Advertisements

I have this 16 year old girl named Brandy who can't seem to stay off of the internet. (myspace) I have a drs appt for hi blood pressure and stress just dealing with this. She has developed friendships with a lot of dudes (I don"t know what else to call them) I have sent her down to Fl to see her dad until the 5th of next month but then all of the drama is going to start again. You should also know that I have 7 children and only 2 girls of the bunch and the boys turned out better than the girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 PM

39 posts, read 126,890 times
Default What to do with a 16 year old daughter

Can anyone tell me what to do with a 16 year old daughter? She is meeting guys on myspace and bringing them to my home. She is now in Fl visiting her dad (miserable) and will be coming back on the 5th of July. She thinks she is a diva and I would be thrilled if she met someone in High School, (West Rowan High) but unfortunetly she just does her thing on "myspace" Thank you for any info"

Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynspets1 View Post
Can anyone tell me what to do with a 16 year old daughter? She is meeting guys on myspace and bringing them to my home. She is now in Fl visiting her dad (miserable) and will be coming back on the 5th of July. She thinks she is a diva and I would be thrilled if she met someone in High School, (West Rowan High) but unfortunetly she just does her thing on "myspace" Thank you for any info"
You need some professional intervention, some family counseling. Why not set it up for as soon as she returns. Next, take the computer away from her. She is playing a dangerous game and you need to protect her from herself.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:31 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You need some professional intervention, some family counseling. Why not set it up for as soon as she returns. Next, take the computer away from her. She is playing a dangerous game and you need to protect her from herself.
If nothing else, you need to absolutely forbid her bringing strangers from the internet to your house. This is dangerous to you, her and your family. Counseling is certainly worth exploring ASAP.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:34 PM

92 posts, read 274,223 times
Default My Space

Is she actually meeting strangers on myspace and inviting them to your home? I would want to ask her why she needs to do that. What is wrong with the people she already knows and I would share some information from that TV show (Dateline) about how dangerous this is.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Are you home when she brings the guys over? Call the cops if so.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 PM

575 posts, read 1,515,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Are you home when she brings the guys over? Call the cops if so.
the cops cant do anything. if the daughter lives there she can invite a guest in. its a family matter.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
On WSOC tonite - they had a segment on a teen in Hickory (or near Lenoir?) whose parents just discovered some pervert (maybe around 40?) had flown in from Minnesota, I think . . . to meet up w/ their daughter. The mom was crying - it was awful. I will see if I can find a link.

Minn. Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Caldwell County Girl - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Last edited by brokensky; 06-25-2008 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: added link, made correction

Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
Unforunately the time to really train your kids is well before they are 16. All you can really do at this point is try to mitigate the behavior and make sure she's got to tools to keep herself from getting pregnant.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:39 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
Simple.
Get rid of the computer(s). Especially in childrens rooms.
If you must have one, put one in your bedroom for your use.
Computer use as a child/teen is a privelage not a right, it comes with rules and responsibilites, and if she or your other children don't like it, then tough. Be the parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting