Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:07 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times

Advertisements

I would NEVER allow a child that young to wear a two peice nevermind a bikini. My daughter didn't wear a two peice until she was 10 and it has alot more coverage then a bikini AND she only wears it at the pool.

I don't care what she is attached to, she isn't going out in public wearing something like that.

Today we stopped at Burger King to eat. There were two men sitting outside by the kids playset which was under a covered part, they had no children and appeared to be either homeless or close to it. My daughter was wearing jeans that went to her knees, her hair was up and she was wearing a tank top. I had a bad feeling about one of the guys who stared at my daughter. Then come to find out he was staring at her the entire time she was playing in the playground on the two story thingy they had. I'm not good with that. If I had known at the time I would have gone and said something to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 AM

50 posts, read 190,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I do agree that clothing is a huge issue with kids today. Target has the absolute worst line of clothing for kids, specifically girls. We had to stop buying from there because it was too revealing for even a toddler. We've had to bite the bullet and spend more at other stores to keep our daughter looking like a young girl.

I would like to ask the OP one question. I noticed that you live in Hawaii. I've not been there before but do know it's a huge travel destination. Could it be that these people were on vacation and popped in for a mocha? I agree with the one poster about a dress over the swimsuit. Maybe they had vacation on the mind? Just a thought.

It is a huge possibility that those people were on vacation. Hawaii residents are also known to hit the beach. I do agree that a bikini or other swimsuit is appropriate for the beach or pool, but not for service-oriented places like Starbucks. As my parents always told me, there is a time and place for everything. Wearing a bikini or other swimsuit to the beach or pool is analogous to running around and yelling on the playground. Just like Starbucks is not a playground, it is not a beach or pool.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:45 AM

793 posts, read 2,212,939 times
It is weird, cause, I don't seem to see much of those slutty clothing here up north. Most teens, even younger teens, at least the ones u notice the most in the street or at the mall, dress like they came right from an horror movie.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
There is a Catholic High School near where I used to live. The girls were rolling up their uniform skirts waaayyy above their knees and wearing thongs. The girls going up and down the stairs were giving the boys a nice show. The school outlawed skirts. The girls now wear skorts or pants. I was always appalled at how short some of those girls skirts were, and oftentimes they would be with parents after school in the supermarket, and mom or dad didn't seem the least bit fazed at their attire. And this was a Catholic High School!

I went to an all-girl Catholic HS and our principal had a solution for this:

any girl caught with a skirt too short (rolled up, etc... - seriously, Sr. Charlotte had spies on the out-side because she always seemed to know who was rolling skirts off school grounds) was called into her office & given an ankle length skirt to wear the rest of the day and WEAR HOME along with either a phone call/letter to the parents. It made for some embarrassing city bus rides for some girls. But, it got the message across pretty quickly. Truly, it became not even worth it to violate the below the knee regulation.

Our bags were inspected (especially if you were a trouble-maker) randomly and lockers were, too. Hard to hide risque clothing.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:36 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I went to an all-girl Catholic HS and our principal had a solution for this:

any girl caught with a skirt too short (rolled up, etc... - seriously, Sr. Charlotte had spies on the out-side because she always seemed to know who was rolling skirts off school grounds) was called into her office & given an ankle length skirt to wear the rest of the day and WEAR HOME along with either a phone call/letter to the parents. It made for some embarrassing city bus rides for some girls. But, it got the message across pretty quickly. Truly, it became not even worth it to violate the below the knee regulation.

Our bags were inspected (especially if you were a trouble-maker) randomly and lockers were, too. Hard to hide risque clothing.
It was always blatantly hypocritical to me, back in high school, that 'the rest of us' had to follow skirt length rules but the cheerleaders and dance team had super short skirts barely covering the butt and this was somehow okay.

Talk about double standards.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Reps to all who say uniform!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
dont even get me started on halloween costumes. some of you have already mentioned this. last year i wanted to dress the whole faily in native american costumes. well good luck!
the men's had no shirt (imagine my dh trying to trick or treat like that ?)
the women's looked like a stripper outfit. they had NO normal costumes. even the little girl costumes are just smaller versions of the adult women's. everything is in the stripper style--nurse, etc

i mean do clothing buyers ever think "hey, let try to reach everyone!"
no, they just make adult outfits smaller and call it children's wear.
as for girls wearing those awful clothes with nasty writing stratigically placed: i think some women who like to consider themselves "milfs" want their daughters to dress like them and so buy those things. and what sells is what gets ordered--good luck to everyone else. its a nightmare.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,437 times
I bought my 2 year old granddaughter a 2-piece bathing suit because she's potty training and removing a one piece for the potty is just more trouble than this grandma wants to deal with.

Like many others mentioned, there is a huge difference between 10 year olds dressing as hookers for Halloween or wearing overtly sexual clothing and a toddler in a bikini or a baby in diapers with no shirt. On my list of things that offend me, the attire of babies and toddlers is pretty low on the list.

Speaking of Hawaii... the one thing that really threw me on my first visit there was seeing people (primarily locals) walking around in the grocery store with no shoes and men with no shirts. That's illegal where I live but was a common sight there. It didn't offend me, just surprised me.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 PM

308 posts, read 1,616,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
It was always blatantly hypocritical to me, back in high school, that 'the rest of us' had to follow skirt length rules but the cheerleaders and dance team had super short skirts barely covering the butt and this was somehow okay.

Talk about double standards.
I never understood this myself. Here's the dress code and we'll lecture you and/or send you home if you don't follow it, but cheerleaders can do whatever they damned well please. Micro skirts & bared midriffs supposed to make them more aerodynamic or something?

Yet another reason that I am oh, so glad I do not have a girl. I don't foresee my son wearing a bikini any time soon.

I used to think uniforms would be a pain in the arse, but I found that I actually prefer them. Clothing tends to be cheaper in the end and he doesn't fret (too much) about what he's going to wear each day. "Do I wear the dark blue shirt or the light blue shirt? Hmmm."

Old 06-27-2008, 08:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I let my daughter wear a 2 piece last year (age 4 1/2 then). The bikini I found for her had bottoms that covered her belly button and the top was like a short tank. I didn't have a problem with it.

This year the only bikinis she liked had STRING bikini tops... the age in this section is 4-10! This was too much for me.

She still got a 2 piece, but I kept looking til I found a tankini. It covers as much as a 1 piece, but she still calls it her bikini.

BTW... she gets 2 suits a year. One to wear at home and for family gatherings (her choice -well, sort of) and one for public pools, pool parties, swim lessons (a 1 piece, my choice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting