Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good grief! When did everyone become so puritannical? If we are out and about I make my son wear a shirt with his swim suit, and my daughter a cover-up, but as for what everyone else does, I really don't care. The human body is beautiful, not something to be ashamed of. Children should be free to not worry about yet another adult hang-up. There really aren't perves hanging around every corner just waiting to see little girls in grocery stores wearing their swim suits. So what if a baby is only wearing a diaper? If people look at a baby and only see the shame of it all, and not a beautiful little baby, then honestly I feel sorry for them.
Mostly the human body is beautiful. I'll grant you that one.

But diapers-only still squicks me out, no matter the appealing little morsel of personhood that might be in it. I know small people are prone to leakage, but I don't think a blatant reminder is necessary.
I don't want to see Granny clad only in a diaper, either, for that matter, and doubt most folks' first reaction would be to ruminate on the beauty of wisdom and experience that comes with advanced age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Oh you're so naive. There are pervs everywhere and 3 out of 2 children are in real danger 105% of the time. It didn't used to be like this, the times are different now. There is probably a child abduction on my street at least three times a week. I have a variety of data to back up these assertions, but I am having trouble finding it.
Haha! Excellent.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Oh you're so naive. There are pervs everywhere and 3 out of 2 children are in real danger 105% of the time. It didn't used to be like this, the times are different now. There is probably a child abduction on my street at least three times a week. I have a variety of data to back up these assertions, but I am having trouble finding it.
If you're going to make such a claim, then you really do need to back it up.

Little kids should be able to run around in hot weather in skimpy clothing. If there's a "perv" around, then so be it. They have the problem, not the child.

We shouldn't have to forgo the innocence of childhood to cater to the pervs.

They're going to be pervs regardless of what the child is wearing. This kind of fear mongering is giving them wayyy too much power, IMO. Let the kids be kids.

ETA: Have I been had? I guess my sarcasm meter is off today.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
I wouldn't think twice about a baby in a swim suit...seriously who cares?
I didn't read through the entire thread, but here in CA and in FL, commonly see kids in their swimsuits after the beach/pool.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I think it's unfortunate when little kids dress in questionable attire. I hope the parents know that they're just inviting trouble from perverted men (or women). There's no reason a toddler should be wearing a bikini in public. Also, there's no reason a little girl should be dressed like a hooker for Halloween.

Fortunately, I have a son who is well aware of what tasteful attire is. But sometimes I'll see boys who are around 8-12 years old walking around shirtless in public, or with their underwear showing from underneath their pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I think the issue has to do with naivete on the part of the parent. If you are innocent, you don't realize that everyone else is not, necessarily. You might not realize there are perverts out there . . .
It's not the clothing (or lack thereof) that drives the pervert. It's a mental illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I think to a certain degree it's also regional. Here, as I said, I wouldn't probably even notice. In Charleston SC or Des Moines or a couple of other places, I would be really surprised.

Hoochie, otoh, is trashy no matter where you live.

And the baby clad in just a diaper is tacky, tacky, tacky.
I'm not sure what you mean about hoochie. However, in Denver and most of Colorado, for that matter, anything goes. A child in a swimsuit in a Starbuck's wouldn't rate a moment's notice by most people. Well, maybe in winter, b/c people would think it child abuse to let a kid run around like that in the cold, but in the summer? My only concern with such swimsuits is sunburn.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBadget View Post
Last week, while I was at Starbucks Coffee, I saw a mother and her toddler, probably 2 or 3 years old, waiting for their drinks at the counter. The toddler was wearing a bikini, and I was sort of shocked. Starbucks Coffee may not be an upscale place, but it is still a public place. When my parents took me out in public, they made sure I was dressed appropriately. This is in addition to making sure I behaved myself in public. Upon reading various parenting threads, I see that you all make sure your kids behave properly in public and remove them from the scene anytime they misbehave. Do you also make sure your kids are dressed appropriately whenever you take them out in public? If you don't care how your kids are dressed in public, think about others around you who would be annoyed upon seeing your kids dressed inappropriately.
I agree with you in principle. However, we as a society have allowed ourselves to get to that point. There are unwritten rules in society and many of them in my opinion have changed, some for the good and some for the bad. How you dress is one of them. We have simply changed a bit in that area.
In order for society to change in this and other areas is by us as a group to enforce some of those types of unwritten rules. Many store do have signs that do not allow people going with no shoes. They could do the same but there are two points to concider. Are there enough people that would not cater to a business if they are not allowed to go in dressed in bikinis? If there are then a business may cave into allowing that.

We as a society have pushed the limits and in cases like how we talk and dress in public have been taken to the courts also. So we may complain how others may talk and dress but when it comes to ourselves we would not allow others to dictate how we dress and talk because we may be ready to pull the gun through the courts. Take care.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
I dont like starbucks coffee.
If starbuks did not exist then this thread would not have started.
If this thread had not started then I would not have spent time reading it.
If I had not spent time reading it then I would have had time to dress my kids properly before taking them out for my coffee.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Oh my goodness. We do not cover our bodies because we are ashamed of them. We cover our bodies because they are not for others to see. I have not met one person who covers his body who is also ashamed of the human body.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:17 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
I keep thinking when I read about babies in diapers: have it ever occured to you that the REASON that baby may be wearing diaper only, because he had just recently soiled himself/spit up/threw up/etc. so bad that his clothes is no longer wearable??
And that a spare diaper was handy to change into, but nothing else was available until they get home?

And I REALLY don't worry about toddlers wearing swimsuits in public if it's HOT! Also, remember the terrible-twos and related power struggles? When it's actually smart to pick your battles, or everyone will go insane by the end of an hour? So, I don't see much difference with wearing a fairy-costume to a store (which happens), or Spiderman, whatever - or stopping for a quick drink on the way from the beach with an innocent child still wearing swimsut (not even naked, like in Europe!). I really don't see anything to be so horrified about! (and pervents don't really care what a kid is wearing, much less are they going to pounce when parent is right there!)

Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
I keep thinking when I read about babies in diapers: have it ever occured to you that the REASON that baby may be wearing diaper only, because he had just recently soiled himself/spit up/threw up/etc. so bad that his clothes is no longer wearable??
And that a spare diaper was handy to change into, but nothing else was available until they get home?

And I REALLY don't worry about toddlers wearing swimsuits in public if it's HOT! Also, remember the terrible-twos and related power struggles? When it's actually smart to pick your battles, or everyone will go insane by the end of an hour? So, I don't see much difference with wearing a fairy-costume to a store (which happens), or Spiderman, whatever - or stopping for a quick drink on the way from the beach with an innocent child still wearing swimsut (not even naked, like in Europe!). I really don't see anything to be so horrified about! (and pervents don't really care what a kid is wearing, much less are they going to pounce when parent is right there!)
don't you know that empathy doesn't fly around here? you're supposed to make a snap judgment and stand by it no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting