Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 AM

50 posts, read 190,563 times

Advertisements

Last week, while I was at Starbucks Coffee, I saw a mother and her toddler, probably 2 or 3 years old, waiting for their drinks at the counter. The toddler was wearing a bikini, and I was sort of shocked. Starbucks Coffee may not be an upscale place, but it is still a public place. When my parents took me out in public, they made sure I was dressed appropriately. This is in addition to making sure I behaved myself in public. Upon reading various parenting threads, I see that you all make sure your kids behave properly in public and remove them from the scene anytime they misbehave. Do you also make sure your kids are dressed appropriately whenever you take them out in public? If you don't care how your kids are dressed in public, think about others around you who would be annoyed upon seeing your kids dressed inappropriately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 04:36 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
i agree here wholehaertedly. i cant stand when i see babies in shopping carts or held my a parent with just a diaper on! come on people, buy a "onesie" at least! i know its hot--but its never THAT hot--especially in an air conditioned store. baby should be protected from A/C as well as the sun!!
and why does baby/toddler not have proper clothing on? starbucks is not the beach. i think people believe since it's a child,anything goes...NO!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
It's just not children. This past week I've seen teens/adults wearing bikini tops at the mall (no coverup) and all I can do is roll my eyes in disgust at their lack of decorum. The other day, I saw a middle-schooler walking outside of school grounds in an outfit that made my eyes almost pop out. Ample cleavage hanging out of her low-cut top & short-shorts. She was on the phone asking her mother "where are you, Mom? I've been waiting like for like 5 minutes. You're late. I need to get to the beach." Then she turned to her friends to tell them her mom would take them to the beach. My point is that it seems like Mom knew exactly what her daughter was wearing.

I cannot believe schools allow kids to attend classes dressed like hoochie-mamas and that parents allow their kids to walk out of the house looking like street walkers!

Yes, I think people should dress children according to the environment their in. May as well start early so that as they grow older, you can hope they know how and will make the right clothing choices.

As far as people not dressing appropriately, they could give a hoot about how it might annoy the rest of us. Therein lies the problem. The ever annoying ME ME ME attitude and parents not wanting to rock the boat with their kids. GREAT parenting.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Last Halloween a little girl wearing a handcuff belt, fishnet stocking, a miniskirt, punk (green hair), and a ripped top trick-or-treated at my door. I asked her, "what are you supposed to be?" She said, "a hooker." WTF???? This girl may have been 8 years old I'm guessing... sh*t you not... I still can't get that image out of my head it was so disturbing. Granted, it was Halloween, but what kind of parent would allow their daughter to dress up as a prostitute at ANY point? Yuck.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:42 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
Could they have possibly stopped in there on their way back from the pool? Just a thought.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,917 times
I took my son out exactly one time in just a diaper. He was a toddler, maybe 18 months at best. A new toddler friend and her mom came over. We decided to take the kids out for a walk. The friend was just in a diaper. Because this was a new friendship (between both kids and moms), I quickly decided I didn't want to make her (the mom) feel uncomfortable by "overdressing" my child, so I stripped him down to diaper and sneakers and off we went.

I was soooooo embarrassed! I felt as if every eye was on our kids. Worse, even though he was most probably oblivious to the situation, I kept imagining my son saying to me (in later years) Mommmmm, you let me go out of the house like that?????

The good part is, the kids had a great time, the walk was thankfully short and everything ended well. They moved out of state not long after and we lost touch. My son never went outside undressed again .

Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Last Halloween a little girl wearing a handcuff belt, fishnet stocking, a miniskirt, punk (green hair), and a ripped top trick-or-treated at my door. I asked her, "what are you supposed to be?" She said, "a hooker." WTF???? This girl may have been 8 years old I'm guessing... sh*t you not... I still can't get that image out of my head it was so disturbing. Granted, it was Halloween, but what kind of parent would allow their daughter to dress up as a prostitute at ANY point? Yuck.
Yeah, we saw a pair of "playboy bunnies" this past Halloween with the official Playboy logo and all. My 16 year old son was accompanying us and he saw them first and I could tell by his face... then my 10 year old son said "Wow, that was disturbing..."

They were, at most, 10 or 11 years old, and in the full getup complete with stripper heels.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,786 times
Although I COMPLETELY agree about the need for appropriate clothing on children (or anyone, for that matter... lol), my first thought was the same as drjones... perhaps they had just left the beach/pool? Not that it really matters, because Starbuck's DOES have a drive-thru, just a thought.

~D

Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBadget View Post
Do you also make sure your kids are dressed appropriately whenever you take them out in public? If you don't care how your kids are dressed in public, think about others around you who would be annoyed upon seeing your kids dressed inappropriately.
I have HUGE issues with this topic & could go on & on,but I will spare everyone

Let's just say WTF are parents thinking (actually, they obviously are not or want to be 12 again themselves) when they allow their 10 or 11yr old daughters to buy shorts that say "Cutie Pie" on the butt or buy their 10 or 11 yr old sons shirts that say "Yeah, I have an attitude. What are YOU going do about it?"

It's irresponsibilty parenting IMO.

As for the diaper thing, we were in a play area of the mall last summer due to it being just awful hot out & there was a mother who was letting her two little ones run around in their diapers. It was just wrong on so many levels.

What you do in the privavcy of your home is one thing. What you do in public should be taken with an ounce of thinking, responsibilty & common sense. Sorry, but let's open up our eyes & minds & realize that there are preverts lurking everywhere. Should we live in a state of fear,no,but we should be proactive.

No, I do not want to see someone else's child in a bikini as I am ordering my tall mocha frappacino. I think TONS of issues stem from families that allow certain behaviors & actually promote the behavior.

I know I am probably a little too prissy & strict with my children, but at the same time I feel that allowing children to dress a certain way or act a certain way is a cause for some serious issues as they grow up. There are times to let loose & there are times to be strict. I am a stickler about attire in public.

I was also a middle school teacher. Sorry, but seeing a 13 yr old's butt crack b/c he doesn't pull up his pants b/c it's not cool is disguisting & I saw one too many bra straps that were purposely being shown on a daily basis. And I was not allowed to say anything about it to the students.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
clothes make the man
dress establishes conduct
appropriate no longer rules. short of beng stuffed in a black & white, its who let that dog out woof woof. people on CDF keep postin where are the nice places, nice folks, where are the friendly folks, where is it safe. it starts with "appropriate" then everyplace is disneyland. thats enough ill have that cup of coffee now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting