Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times

Advertisements

I decided to let my daughter have a myspace page...but it came w/some very very strict rules.
1) I made up the password, and when she goes to her fathers (where she is not supervised at all) I change the password and dont tell it to her til she returns...
2) its set to private and I have to be the one to approve the friends
3) She is allowed on it for a certain amount of time, only when she asks first. We check the log periodically and make sure she is only on it when we have given permission
4) I have to approve all comments/messages
5) its on her page, "My parents check my myspace page"
now, ive been told that its harsh, but i really dont care! She knows darn well if any of the rules get broken, OUT goes the computer and DELETE goes the myspace. I love my daughter dearly, and we are very close.We go out and do fun things together, and talk a lot, but she knows i am her MOM, NOT her buddy. Theres certainly moments when I am "RUINING!!!!" her LIFE!!!" lol, but, we get through them.
I used to know a young girl who's mom tried to be her "good friend" and to be popular w/her daughter friends, She wanted to be "the cool mom", really let her girl get away w/a lot in this mission......I helped search for her daughter when she went missing, then went to the memorial when she was found murdered. I tell you, it drove it home in me to be the best parent I can be. Id rather be thought of as strict than to be pitied as the murdered girls mother.
Tiffany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:29 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
what happened w/the OP on this? eh?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:51 PM

71 posts, read 274,487 times
Rathagos is right. There are a ton of teens that mark themselves as 18 on Myspace because of creep issues. Not just that they'll look for kids, but also there was a threat a couple months back (it may still be going on) that Myspace was deleting minor's Myspace profiles to PROACTIVELY stop pedophiles. It was a way to keep their profile from being deleted.

And just a heads up for parents - it takes 2 seconds to create a fake account in both Myspace and Facebook. Facebook has become the most popular in the last year. Just search for their name.

Oh, and if your child has a profile that is not private, but does not show the comments section in myspace - you CAN see the comments still with a little bit of work. If you need help doing this let me know.

Last edited by Chippery; 07-02-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 16,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynspets1 View Post
My 16 year old daughter is causing all kinds of grief in our family over her "myspace" page. She displays herself as 18 and has already been caught with 3 18 year guys. Even if we shut down our internet she can easily get on at school or at anyones computer. We are in the process of putting a restraining order on one of the boys as we speak. I don't want her to hate us, we would like to handle this situation with dignity, but it has already caused much, much drama in our household. Help
You CAN delete her account and contact myspace directly about not letting her create another one. It's better to just monitor regularly, make her give you her password and if she won't you can go into her email to retrieve or create a new password. And, create a page of your own and insist she add you as a friend. Myspace will help you if you contact them directly. I hope that will help

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHREWS View Post
You CAN delete her account and contact myspace directly about not letting her create another one. It's better to just monitor regularly, make her give you her password and if she won't you can go into her email to retrieve or create a new password. And, create a page of your own and insist she add you as a friend. Myspace will help you if you contact them directly. I hope that will help

Since the last post was in 2008 I am guessing that her daughter is over 18 now and can do what she pleases as far as myspace.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 AM

111 posts, read 326,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
I used to know a young girl who's mom tried to be her "good friend" and to be popular w/her daughter friends, She wanted to be "the cool mom", really let her girl get away w/a lot in this mission......I helped search for her daughter when she went missing, then went to the memorial when she was found murdered. I tell you, it drove it home in me to be the best parent I can be. Id rather be thought of as strict than to be pitied as the murdered girls mother.
Tiffany
Yes. DON'T BE THE COOL MOM!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 AM

164 posts, read 502,157 times
Myspace is GHETTO in my opinion. Facebook is not a "hookup" website as much. Facebook started as a college website at Harvard and was only available for college students with a college email until about 5 years ago. Even now, those on Facebook and Twitter are a bit more educated than Myspace.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
yeh....myspace is dead as far as I'm concerned. It was soo damned buggy and everywhere you turned there was opportunity to get infected with a virus. I have one computer I just had to format the hard drive and start over because it got hit by a virus that I'm almost positive was a result of picking on something in myspace.

fb is much much better in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting