Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:36 PM

76 posts, read 363,995 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for all your responses and I will look into everything mentioned. Of course I am aware that there are much worse things that could happen, this is just the worst thing other than very high fevers that I have had to deal with with the kids.

Just a PITA as a pp mentioned....and draining.

Again, thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 02:07 PM

128 posts, read 243,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
This is unnecessary. The type of lice that lives on a human head doesn't survive on an animal, and vice versa. Humans have their own kind of lice, as do dogs/cats/whatever.

Human Lice, HYG-2094-96 (http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2094.html - broken link)
I know this fact, however, the lice that live on human heads will jump onto animals and they can live for a few days without feeding.....I just mentioned it as a precaution...better safe than sorry, and I apologize for not mentioning that to the OP in my first response.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:43 PM

181 posts, read 631,666 times
If you read my post today I was talking about this very issue. It is fun it isn't cheap but it does go away. I went to the health department several times and they were really nice. I bagged up stuff animals and washed everything. I was told by the lady at the health department that it helps to put olive oil in your hair. It helps your hair antway from the lice shampoo. I had it I was so grossed out. I was told that animals aren't a issue. We had three of us that got it out of 16 people that wasn't bad. I worked on their hair several times a day and I had a robi comb. I found it in a Foster child we had three weeks after she came. I saw the live bugs on a Tuesday and by Friday we were clean. You do have to be rechecked after your clean just to make sure you didn't miss one egg. I would use the comb a few times a day after she said we were clean. We stayed at home because I didn't want other people homes to get invested. We live in Michigan and it was in March and really cold so I had it easy bu putting things in bags and setting them outside for a few days the frezzing weather took care of that. I was also told that with girls it is a good idea to keep there hair in pony tails or something like that. You will get through it and it will go away. A lot of people don't follow all the steps they treat the hair but not the house or the car and then they get them again.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 PM

47 posts, read 151,205 times
I work in a Children's Foster Home so lice is spread rapidly there. What we use is....MAYO. Lather the hair in Mayo and then tightly wrap plastic wrap all over the head. Stay home all day like this. Then in the evening, wash your hair and blow dry on the hottest standing the child can stand. The mayo not only suffocates the lice but it also softens the hair.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:25 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Ok, get a grip. This just happens sometimes...out of 4 kids, my youngest one got them once at preschool. The shampoo and comb will take care of them. Just be vigilent and relax. It's not a reflection on you, and, other than being gross, they're harmless.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:49 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
My best friend went through this last fall with two of her children. She was in a total frenzy. I know she put her childrens hair in french braids everyday, combed that stuff though the kids hair several times and honestly only JUST brought the bagged items back into the house. Personally, if it wasn't a favorite furry toy I would just chuck it. She purchased new pillows for everyone. She got the cheapest ones she could find at the time and has slowly replaced them through the year with better quality- but it gave a sense of security knowing they were fresh and new at the time. You have to vac everything, wipe everything, spray EVERYTHING with that special spry- don't forget the carpet either. SHe used my carpet cleaner- if you don't have one I highly suggest heading out to get one- mine was only $110 and it is a life saver- especially for the flu!!!! Good luck... I know it is a pain and she was so nervous for weeks after (actually you mention lice and she shivers at the thought)... it DOES go away- but you gotta work at it...

Old 07-16-2008, 10:26 PM

278 posts, read 802,554 times
My son got lice this past year at school, and we did the olive oil treatment. I had him bend over the tub, I soaked his hair and scalp in olive oil, put a plastic cap on and left it for about 4 hours. There were no live ones after that, it smothers them. Then washed the oil out with an organic tea tree shampoo. Then, the lice comb, over and over 'till there was no sign of anything creepy. Waited 2 days, did it again. Vacuum everything you can, the rest wash in hot water and then a hot dryer. I read somewhere that lice have a 10 to 14 day hatching cycle, so be vigilant for the 1st two weeks. Lice combing is the most effective treatment. We had no problems after that, but I still check the kids heads frequently during school. Catching it early is half the battle. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 PM

278 posts, read 802,554 times
By the way, drugstore treatments (nix, rid, etc.) are pesticides and not something I would put on my child's head. Better to go the natural way!

Old 12-14-2008, 06:58 AM

24 posts, read 68,558 times
I have worked with lice for 7 years. Every time we sent the step-children back, they would come back to us covered in lice. As I speak, the bugs are literally falling off of their heads (After I drive them back today, I have to lice free the house-wash all the sheets we always place on the furniture b4 they come over, go through my hair, my husband's hair, my child's hair, wash all the sheets,vacuum every square inch on house and furniture, blah blah blah). But what can we do? Every time we have them and get rid of them, they come back with more. So we quite trying unless it's the summer and we have them more than a weekend or something. What's our solution? There's really only one way to keep from getting lice, and that's to shave your head. I'm not joking. In fact, their school is so rampant with lice, that that's what one father actually did. He shaved his daughter's heads and bought them wigs. Now, as far as treating. Do NOT buy Rid, Nix or any other product. It's all crap. Tea tree oil doesn't always work either. Neither do all those expensive all natural products. We did buy one product that worked PERFECTLY. Funny, it quickly went off the shelves. We can only assume Rid and Nix bought them out so they can still sell you their poison. You can soak your head in cooking oil and wrap it up for a week. But let's face it, if you work or have to go out of the house for any reason, that can be troublesome. Or, you could do what works every time, no matter what. Get a GOOD lice comb. We use the one from Head Lice Treatment - Natural Lice Remedy - Easy Nit Removal - LiceKiller, it won't melt, it's stainless steel, and has literally lasted years. Comb, comb, comb. Comb until you go through their hair twice in a row with no bugs or eggs Boil the blasted thing EVERY time. You can also go through their hair one strand at a time, but that gives me a headache and hurts my eyes. Comb through their hair once or twice today. Then the next day. Don't bother washing their sheets and stuff until the level is down a little. If you put a kid back into a clean sheet, you're just going to have to wash it again. Like I said, I have been dealing with lice for 7 years. I have spent HUNDREDS of dollars on all sorts of garbage, the electric killer combs, the poisons, the oils, the other combs, the repellents, the house sprays-AAARGH!!! I am the lice expert. And since my step-children have the mutant lice that are resistant to everything but fire (we even tried gasolene-didn't work...you'd be amazed at what you'll do in times of desperation), we can give you reviews on it all.....sigh

Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,179 times
When my mother did Foster Care she treated all the new kids with Mayo...told them it was conditioner not for lice. They never knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting