Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:34 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

The old wood throw spinning tops. My neighbor gave me on she found in a small town about 200 miles from here that an older man made. I had seen him on a show about Texas and she just happened to be there the weekend the show aired there too the same day , she said I just knew you would want this. So far I have made about 300 of them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
I remember having a "secret clubhouse" in our garage and all the kids in the neighborhood would meet there "secretly" and we all had "secret" nicknames. How we convinced ourselves it was all so secret I'll never know but we had fun being so mysterious.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
OMG! Those Hostess fruit pies! The cherry ones were sooooo good (in a sickening, greasy way)! Do they make those anymore?
Yes, but they are like $1.00 or more (not sure) for just 1.

Remember the game"Simon says?"
How about "I see something that you don`t see?"

I miss my childhood!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I remember having a "secret clubhouse" in our garage and all the kids in the neighborhood would meet there "secretly" and we all had "secret" nicknames. How we convinced ourselves it was all so secret I'll never know but we had fun being so mysterious.
When I was 11 one of my friends had a clubhouse too. It even had lights in it! That is where I smoked my first cigarette!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:12 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
I used to like the hose that you ran over when you pulled into the gas station.."ding, ding!"

The automatic doors to the grocery store had big black mats that you had to step on to get them to open...no sensors.

Analog, not digital gas pumps.

Downtown department stores that were many stories tall with restaurants in them. The escalators went on forever.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I used to like the hose that you ran over when you pulled into the gas station.."ding, ding!"

The automatic doors to the grocery store had big black mats that you had to step on to get them to open...no sensors.

Analog, not digital gas pumps.

Downtown department stores that were many stories tall with restaurants in them. The escalators went on forever.
How about when the gas station attendent would come out and say; "Fill 'er up?" and then not only pump your gas but wash your windows, check your tires, and check your oil? Boy do I miss that....especially during cold Wisconsin winters. And I use to love going to the department stores. We didn't have escalators but we had an elevator attendent who sat on a stool inside the elevator and would ask you what floor you wanted and then pull the lever and take you up. I also liked the vacumn tubes in which they would put your money and whooosh...up it would go...and then whooosh down would come your change. "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance for ever and a day."

Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
How about when the gas station attendent would come out and say; "Fill 'er up?" and then not only pump your gas but wash your windows, check your tires, and check your oil? Boy do I miss that....especially during cold Wisconsin winters.
I caught the tail end of the service station era in the 80's. Man that was great...and they didn't even expect a dime more for it. They just wanted to give you good service to keep you coming back.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Wasn't life grand 'back then'???
It sure started changing, to me it seems, in the mid 80's.
Oh those were the good ole days.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Oh I just thought of one. Moon pies!! I know, I know. They still make them but I swear they changed up the recipe. Seems like they used to taste more malty, for lack of a better word. They are different now some how.

Oh and remember getting bottled cokes and digging around the cooler, pulling out a frosty one and those first swigs with ice crystals dancing around in your mouth! Ahhhh that was refreshing...

And do kids still catch lightning bugs? Blow on grass held between their thumbs? Have ant farms?
Actually do they even go outside and get dirty??!! Splashing in puddles and playing in mud, oh yeah.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Some of these things haven't disappeared!
Our community still has a drive-in movie.
Our house still has a roof antenna.It comes in handy when weather causes a lapse in satellite reception.
We have an old dial phone that we plugged in because our "new" phones only made a cricket chrip that we could hardly hear.
We've kept it since it still rings nice an loud but also still works when the power goes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting