Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,669,501 times

Advertisements

IMO people who dont spank are always going to think that their way is better and those who do spank are going to have the same attitude. Its a battle nobody will ever win. Kudzu, you didnt have to spank your kids; good for you. Other parents, you chose to spank yours; i respect your decision.

I say we let parents parent their own kids and stay out of their business.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,456,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihonchan View Post
Please obey the law.
It is not acceptable in modern society to spank children.
The law in all 50 U.S. States permits spanking. At least 80-90% of the public supports maintaining a parent's right to spank whether they personally exercise that option as parents or not.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Or maybe spanking doesn't teach a lesson. Or maybe they just didn't hit me hard enough - how hard should hit a child to make them behave?
Or maybe, like all other punishments, it works in some cases and not others.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Do tell....how can you spank a child without beating them?
The law distinguishes between the two, even if you claim not to get it.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,227,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Or maybe, like all other punishments, it works in some cases and not others.
Or maybe it just doesn't work and has instead negative effects on the child The case against spanking

My country, and many others, have made spanking illegal and it hasn't made children more badly behaved. Maybe one day the US (legislation - I'm not directing this at individual parents) will catch up to other countries in the way it treats children.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,490,700 times
But what happens if they refuse stay in timeout...what is your recourse? What if you send them to their room but they don't stay there. How can you make a child obey who refuses to do something just because you told them to? For most kids, you might not need to spank them. But some kids are just not going to be that compliant. For those few, it may take a couple of swats when they are young. I am not talking about belt beatings or wailing on them with a switch. I want to be clear about that. I never beat my kids. But I did give them a swat on the butt a couple of times around 3 or 4 yrs old. One or two swats on the butt and that was it.

I think people that believe even a swat isn't needed, probably had pretty mindful kids to begin with. Some kids are just very spirited and will test your authority early. All of my kids were pretty mindful, but I remember some kids in elementary school that just didn't care or respect authority.

I think a parent should do what is best for their child. After all, they know them better than anyone. I just disagree with the mindset of trying to outlaw spanking all together.

Shoot, I even spank my gf on occasion.....just kidding.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:04 PM

When I was spanked i was always told to go to my room and think about what i had done. It wasnt to play with my toys or have fun but to think about what i had done. Afterwards i had to explain to my parents what id done wrong, why i was punished, what i would do differently next time, and if i ever planned to do "that" again.

As far as the USA making spanking illegal, idk about others but if i was raising a child and wasnt allowed to discipline them my own way then id probably just hand the kid over to the state and say "you think you know whats best for him? Here then, you raise him"

Old 04-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
When I was spanked i was always told to go to my room and think about what i had done. It wasnt to play with my toys or have fun but to think about what i had done. Afterwards i had to explain to my parents what id done wrong, why i was punished, what i would do differently next time, and if i ever planned to do "that" again.

As far as the USA making spanking illegal, idk about others but if i was raising a child and wasnt allowed to discipline them my own way then id probably just hand the kid over to the state and say "you think you know whats best for him? Here then, you raise him"
So you'd give up custody of your child just because you couldn't spank him? That rather makes it sound like spanking is more important to you than your child...

Old 04-04-2014, 12:24 PM

No, me being the parent and raising my kid as i see fit is whats important to me.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:26 PM

But if you couldn't have control of one minor aspect (spanking), you'd rather just not be the parent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.