Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:16 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 and 6 year old who have started competing in everything. I’ve finally figured out how to turn it to my advantage. Yesterday one of them offered me to some candy obtained from the 4th of July Parade. The other one then had to also offer me some candy. That forced the first one to offer me TWO pieces. They then got into a bidding war. It was great. I finally put an end to it and accepted two pieces from each of them. But I bet I could have taken it all if I had wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
Hmm, wonder if you could wind up honing that advantage into foot massages, backscratchings, or housework or anything!

You gave me a nice laugh!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Hmm, wonder if you could wind up honing that advantage into foot massages, backscratchings, or housework or anything!

Actually I have it working in the garden. One helps me pull the weeds, and the other helps me pick the plants. I just set it up so each job was the "special" job for one of them.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:00 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Yes, I can get my oldest (5) to do just about anything if I turn it into a competition ("I bet you can't pick up all your toys by the time I'm done singing the ABCs...") I haven't had the luck with candy, yet! Although up until now, he has been a little absentminded about exactly how much candy he has; I would take a few pieces out everyday, so that he would end up eating less overall (okay, and so some of those went into my mouth too).

Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
i bet that would work great for grades and sports!!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post

My kids (4 and 5) DO fight over who gets to massage mommy's head and rub lotion on her legs and feet . Generally we resolve the lotion issue by giving one child my right leg and the other my left leg. The head massage issue isn't so easily solved. With that usually they take turns, but they're always trying to get their turn in !! It's funny what a little rivalry and competition will do!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:45 AM

515 posts, read 1,557,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i bet that would work great for grades and sports!!!!
Our girls were extremely competitive growing up, and YOU BET that worked! While the older one really doesn't care that much anymore, our younger daughter still asks on occasion what everyone's GPA is, including one son who is in college! IT'S GREAT!!!!

~D

Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I have a 4 and 6 year old who have started competing in everything. I’ve finally figured out how to turn it to my advantage. Yesterday one of them offered me to some candy obtained from the 4th of July Parade. The other one then had to also offer me some candy. That forced the first one to offer me TWO pieces. They then got into a bidding war. It was great. I finally put an end to it and accepted two pieces from each of them. But I bet I could have taken it all if I had wanted to.
Ummm....sounds kind of manipulative to me. So, are you saying that you'll spend the rest of your lives stoking this rivalry between your children for their mother's attention and love?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 AM

483 posts, read 1,561,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Ummm....sounds kind of manipulative to me. So, are you saying that you'll spend the rest of your lives stoking this rivalry between your children for their mother's attention and love?
My exact thoughts! Though it can be good for a child to be competitive, too much competition can be very unhealthy for them in the long run! Be careful what you teach your children, it may backfire one day! I know from experience what making everything into a competition can become if you let it dominate the scene.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,984 times
oops wrong post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting