Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
what if you could put the siblings together? it might be rough at fist, but i bet your son would like the company, and probably would not leave the room if he knew someone was already there.
Awesome advice, you beat me to it.

Started letting my 2yo sleep in the same room as his brother and it helped BOTH of them immensely. They still share the same room and are now 9 and 11. (There are 2 empty bedrooms next to them lol)

Also, make it sound like a treat that they get to sleep there, make it like a reward that they get to keep if they stay in bed etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM

99 posts, read 180,200 times
I am going through the exact same thing with my two year old daughter right now. She climbed out of her crib a couple of weeks ago right before we were out of town for a couple of weeks. When we were OOT, we coslept bc the transition back to a crib wasn't that bed. But now that we are putting her in her own bed, it has been terrible. I am trying to strike that balance of letting her know that I am here for her and getting her to sleep on her own (cosleeping for us isn't an option).
I am going to try using stickers when she sleeps through the night-- we are using then for potty training so she's kind of used to them.
But I am glad to hear that this is normal for kids. All I know is that I am exhausted

Old 07-21-2008, 03:37 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,462 times
Have you thought about leaving a cd player in his room with soothing sounds or classical music? I have a friend who pops in one of those books on tape in the cassette player for her son and he liked falling asleep to that. She'd read him a real story at night but he also liked the tapes. I guess it made him feel like there was someone else in the room after mommy and daddy left. You could try that.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 AM

546 posts, read 1,817,711 times
Second night in a row he slept all night! Yippee!! The two weeks of diligence have paid off I hope

Old 07-24-2008, 06:03 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,419 times
My suggestions are some of what has already been said:
~Sharing rooms (my boys shared a room in bunk beds until just about 2 years ago when they were 13 and 15)
~Night light
~Put the baby gate at the door, that way he can still see outside his room, but can't get over - maybe, some kids, you just can't hold them in anywhere, they can be so creative.
Sounds like things may be under control now, best of luck!!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:59 PM

99 posts, read 180,200 times
I hope things are working out for you. We had a total revelation today and that was our daughter would freak out--- not bc we left-- but bc we closed the door. So we are going to put a gate up instead so she doesn't feel so closed in. Just another thought

Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
mine went from crib to bed, but he didn't like the bed so he'd sleep on the floor on the rug. He would either lie down by the heat vent or by the crack at the bottom of the door. I think he liked to hear our voices. I didn't care where he slept really, the rug was soft and we put a pillow there for him.

One figured out how to do doors, and i worried about that one climbing over the gate at the top of the stairs so we locked the door from the outside, which felt really barbaric, but it worked. He too slept on the floor on the rug at the bottom of the door.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,573 times
my son will be 2 soon and he went thruogh the same thing with the cot most of the time he would go to sleep in his cot but he would start playin up for a few days or weeks criein for up to 4 hours and now hes got his own bedroom and a bed hes criein every night for hours iv tried everything puttin him back in bed so many times and we have left him crie hes got a gate on his door and hes got a tv he has cried so much hes got a husky voice in the mornings me and my partner dont know what to do we need help

Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlilyjmichelle View Post
my son will be 2 soon and he went thruogh the same thing with the cot most of the time he would go to sleep in his cot but he would start playin up for a few days or weeks criein for up to 4 hours and now hes got his own bedroom and a bed hes criein every night for hours iv tried everything puttin him back in bed so many times and we have left him crie hes got a gate on his door and hes got a tv he has cried so much hes got a husky voice in the mornings me and my partner dont know what to do we need help
This is not uncommon (you answered a 2 year old post though).

1. You may want to keep a log of your daily routine. Does he wake up at the same time every day? Does he have meals and naps at about the same time most days? What activities does he do during the day. Children who are active usually sleep better.

2. You probably should have a regular bedtime routine. For us, it was bath, teeth brushing, two stories, then a lullaby and sleep. My granddaughter is now conditioned to being asleep when her lullaby is over (and she is 8 years old) - she's been doing this since she was about 18 months old. If he has a lovey, he can sleep with that too. Start the unwinding and routine about an hour before his bedtime.

3. Naptime should probably not be too late in the day and might need to be limited to 2 hours if he usually sleeps more.

4. As counterintuitive as it sounds, an earlier bedtime can make a difference. Later bedtimes may mean that he is overtired and he might be unable to fall asleep easily.

5. Limit tv especially close to bedtime. I would take the tv out of his room entirely. If you must try something to soothe him, try white noise or perhaps music. If he is afraid of the dark, try a toy that has a light and turns off after a period of time.

6. When and if he gets up out of bed:

The first time he gets up, remind him that it’s bedtime, lead him back to bed, give him a kiss and a cuddle, and leave the bedroom.
The second time, do the same but use a firmer voice and make the kiss and cuddle brief.
The third and any subsequent times, say nothing at all as you lead him back to bed, tuck him in, and leave the room. This is the hard part, and it’s very tempting to give a cuddle. Remember that a gentle, consistent approach will convince your child that you’re there for him, but that you insist he sleeps in his own bed.

7. You can try a sticker chart for staying in bed. I don't especially like this, but as a last resort, it might be helpful. You give stickers for the nights he stays in bed and focus on that. If he stays in bed for several nights, he might get a small car or something else he likes and then if he is staying in bed and sleeping through the night, you could give a larger reward.

8. If falling asleep is a big problem, you might try melantonin at a low dosage. It's natural and once his routine is established, you can wean him off it.

Good luck!

Kids tucked in with a dose of melatonin - USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting