Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times

Advertisements

Is it just me?

Kids Burned By Sizzling NYC Playgrounds - News Story - WNBC | New York

Kids Burned By Sizzling NYC Playgrounds

If Im reading this correctly, kids were getting burned by rubber mats around the playground. Im infuriated by the comments saying this is the caretakers fault for not having shoes on the kids.

Yes it was hot. My kids play on playgrounds when it is hot. They have never been burned.

This has NOTHING to do with the parents. This has EVERYTHING to do with faulty playground design.

Am I reading the article correctly. Do people on here think it is the parents (or caretakers) fault?

People posting comments seem to be focusing on the lack of shoes. What happens if a kid is running and trips? This happens CONSTANTLY! What then. Who's fault then?

Im really really po'd about some of the comments I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
Exactly, what is wrong w/people! The people who put that in should have know that kids would be running on it w/out shoes when it is hotter than heck.

I give the care giver some credit as few where hurt, but come on. There is a reason we wear shoes, and on kids that small.

Don't blame the people who put it in, bls, someone made a mistake and someone else paid for that mistake.

I'm an idiot and I still know when it is too hot to walk barefoot.

Don't let it get to ya, or else you'll go nuts when someone leaves their kid in a car while getting a hair cut.

Not bash'n ya bls, I don't even know you. Just my thoughts......I don't have many.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:41 PM

231 posts, read 157,111 times
I live in the south, and it's kind of humorous (to me) to see these apartments billing themselves with playgrounds for the kids...and then you see this metal slide and these plastic swings. C'mon, now.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
well, it does have something to do with the parents or caregivers.

Test the equipment prior to letting the children play on it. If it is too hot, then they shouldn't be on it.

If the playground is in direct sunlight & it's midday in the summer, well, common sense has got to come into play.

The companies don't care.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:35 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Yes, it its the parents' fault for allowing their kids to run around without their shoes on in excessive temperatures. My god, I had sense enough to test the metal slide before I used it, and that was over 40 years ago. Why didn't the parents do that? I won't even walk my dog on concrete it it's too hot for me!

NOT the designer's fault... it's common sense, and it seems there's a serious shortage of if these days. Parents these days expect the world to be rubber padded for their kids, now that they've got it, they're still complaining.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
lack of commonsense
hot sun=hot surface
crap happens and it isn't always someone's fault

Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
You know companies are damned if they do and damned if they dont. I read this article this morning. They put the rubber mats there because kids were getting hurt with the mulch that was there before.

Now the parents are complaining that the feet are getting burned. Can someone like a parent actually take responsibility these days or does it always have to be the big company??

If the ground is hot, put shoes on. No excuses.

d

Old 07-22-2008, 05:41 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
My kids go barefoot much of the time, so I have nothing against parents who let their kids run around with no shoes. However, I would never take my kids to use a metal slide in summer's heat. That's just common sense! If we're at a playground with wood mulch, I insist that they wear shoes so they don't cut their feet. If it's a sand playground I'll let them go barefoot, but not if it's scorching hot, because they could burn their feet. I will let my kids walk down the driveway to the mailbox barefoot in the spring and fall and on cool summer days, but not when it's very hot, because again, they will burn their feet.

Common sense does not seem so common.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
i smell a lawyer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,573 times
It just amazes me that we exist. I mean, all the prior generations were not in protective bubbles and yet managed to live into adulthood. How the he** did we accomplish that??? We must be super freakin heros! I remember when the surface at the playground was CEMENT or better yet DIRT!!

Friends of mine did, in fact, break limbs at the playground. No one got sued. They got a cool trip in an ambulance and an even cooler cast that we could all draw on and weird tan lines that summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting