Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:35 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,007,354 times

Advertisements

The way I understand it, when one sets up a Wish List with Amazon, one supplies Amazon with a name or email address to identify the list. The only way the 41-year-old could have found the Wish List is if he (the 41-year-old) had a name or email address to search on. Your 16-year-old must have given the information to him (or gave it to someone who gave it to him). I'm sure it was an innocent mistake, but you're right to be concerned.

I don't have an Amazon Wish List (or any online wish lists for that matter). Do you know how Amazon safeguards the information on the list? From what you've described, it seems Amazon discloses information about the sender (the 41-year-old) to the recipient. Do you know if Amazon discloses information about the recipient to the sender? That might be the scariest part of this transaction.

I'm a mom and I understand your concern. First steps: make sure son changes the name on the List (or better yet, deletes the list). Make sure he gets rid of that email address. He can always set up a new one. Make sure you have the talk with him regarding who can and, more importantly, who can NOT be informed of his email address.

As far as contacting the 41-year-old, I understand the urge to put the fear in him (he is totally out of line) but I'm not sure how to not compound the problem. Calling him will allow him to capture your number on caller-ID. Emailing will also identify you. An anonymous, snail-mail letter will still have a postmark from your city. Without getting a lawyer involved, I'm not sure what else you can do right now. I don't think giving a gift is breaking any laws, even if the recipient is a minor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 03:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,817,509 times
Does the 41yr old guy even KNOW that your son is only 16???

Old 07-25-2008, 03:10 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,599,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Does the 41yr old guy even KNOW that your son is only 16???
Along with that, do you know for sure that the gift came from a 41 yr old guy, or could it have come from a teen in the house of the 41 yr old guy?

Don't assume anything. Educate yourself to the ways onling gaming works and how the amazon wish list works. Once you fully understand all that, you can make an informed decision instead of reacting off emotions.

Of course it could be a bad situation, however it also could just as easily be a misunderstood situation. Before declaring someone guilty, give them the benefit of the doubt and do your homework.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,539,309 times
Regaurdless of the 41 year old's situation...if he is a responsible and semi-smart adult he surely would understand the concern of the mother for her son's safety...and not have any issues with a request to leave her son alone...and if he see's it as a petty reaction or if he thinks she is out of line by calling him out..well that speaks volumes about what kind of a freakazoid he really is...

Any 41 year old man knows in this day and age that what he did is out of line and should EXPECT to be hearing from someone...either the mother or the police.
I am sure he has seen an episode of Dateline sometime in his life...

IMO the 41 year old is creepy...the whole situation is creepy... You need to protect your kids. Bottom line.

and also...I think these creepy men toss out that first line to see just how far he go...it is a gift today...what is going to be next... a letter, a phone call a meet up at a park...

Old 07-25-2008, 03:29 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,379,757 times
I think the OP's description is way to vague to go that deep into it Danielle.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,171,300 times
Why are strangers buying 'gifts' for strangers to begin with??? I certainly have better things to do with my money...and if a stranger is getting it, it will be through a charity!
That gaming stuff is weird anyway IMO

Old 07-25-2008, 03:54 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,379,757 times
Millions of people would disagree with your opinion

Old 07-25-2008, 04:50 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,007,354 times
Aw, gee, Crazy, you've cut me to the quick. It always saddens me to hear gaming demonized. Millions, yes, literally millions, of people worldwide are online gamers and we cross every demographic out there. Are there some weirdos among us? Of course there are, just as there are weirdos among every other element of society. Schools, religious organizations, TV watchers, politicians, bar-hoppers...

I know you qualified your statement by saying it's your opinion (thank you!). Still makes me sad to hear.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,850,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Aw, gee, Crazy, you've cut me to the quick. It always saddens me to hear gaming demonized. Millions, yes, literally millions, of people worldwide are online gamers and we cross every demographic out there. Are there some weirdos among us? Of course there are, just as there are weirdos among every other element of society. Schools, religious organizations, TV watchers, politicians, bar-hoppers...

I know you qualified your statement by saying it's your opinion (thank you!). Still makes me sad to hear.
My hubby is a gamer... I am a WoW Widow... but he plays with people he knows from work.. it is sick... she needs to call the cops...no adult male should buy a teen a gift... it is wrong.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,499,893 times
like some others have said
1. does the 41 yr old know the kid is 16
2. are you sure its not a 16 yr old in the 41yr olds home sending things

I don't know if I would contact the cops I think you should do a little more research you got the guys info already do a background check and look to see if he has kids this can be done through online records. If this guy is oblivious to whats going on i.e he did not know the kid is 16, or it was his kid that sent the gift and you call the cops you just f'd his life up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting