Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,045 times

Advertisements

My son is 15 and they fight about nothing. It's always about power and button pushing. I seem to be able to pick my battles but my husband is so touchy about the most ridiculous things. He just doesn't know how to walk away and cool off before lashing out against a 15 year old and bringing himself down to his level. Easier to teach a teen new tricks than a 50 year old child. I know this sounds harsh, but at times my son is more mature and knowledgeable than my husband. To me, respect is something that is earned no matter how old someone is and a philosophy I feel with my own parents and myself. Kids need to know there parents have it together more than they do or they feel insecure and that is what we have. I have a very insecure husband who has never known what it is to be a good father and it definitely does not come naturally. He would rather be the kid. If I knew then what I know now, I don't think I would have chosen my husband but I did and hope to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
How is your husband with the other children?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,160 times
IMO
Tell them the next time they start that mess, you are going to just walk out....and to call you when they are finished. Outside, down the street, off in the car, whereever.
And do it...just quietly walk out. See how long it takes before they call...you might put a sign with a reminder to call Mom when you are done fighting. They sound like 3 yr. olds vying for attention....so don't give them any when they are like that.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
How is your husband with the other children?
I only have the one. Four dogs though!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
IMO
Tell them the next time they start that mess, you are going to just walk out....and to call you when they are finished. Outside, down the street, off in the car, whereever.
And do it...just quietly walk out. See how long it takes before they call...you might put a sign with a reminder to call Mom when you are done fighting. They sound like 3 yr. olds vying for attention....so don't give them any when they are like that.
Hi crazyma. I have done that on a few ocassions. Even spent the night at a friends which was a nice break. They actually get mad at me when I try and keep things from escalating and my son has said that it just makes things worse, but when I haven't been around things get broken, sometimes. Today is the first day they are both going to a therapist that specializes in teens. Wish me luck.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I only have the one. Four dogs though!
I assumed you had others since this was described as a father/son spat.
You posted that it would be easier to change your son than to change your husband, yet you acknowledge that your husband is immature/short-tempered, but your son is more composed.

?This is really confusing?

I'm reading this as: "My husband is an immature, dominating ogre but everything will be allright if i can train my son to be passive(like Mom?)."

I don't think you need to bring dad and son to a therapist who specializes in "teens". I think you need to give the 50yr.old baby a kick in his a**! If you're not going to leave him, at least make arrangements for your son to stay in a more stable environment until he's 18. Just my .02.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:54 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,160 times
"I think you need to give the 50yr.old baby a kick in his a**! If you're not going to leave him, at least make arrangements for your son to stay in a more stable environment until he's 18. Just my .02."

And what will that teach? It is okay to run away from your problems? At least they are willing to try the counseling..This father needs to learn how to be a man his son can respect, and the son needs to learn how to honor his father. Dad needs help in discerning what is worth a battle, and what not to sweat. Son needs to learn rules and consequences of his actions. Sounds like they both have some work to do. And if they CAN make their situation better, then wouldn't that be a wonderful thing for this family? If nothing else, to at least be able to hold their heads up and say we tried??

Puffle...hope the counseling got off to a good start...probably feels rocky tho' huh.
Will you also be a part of this?? My family had some issues, and we did individual and 'group' sessions. Teens can cause more problems than a wild dictator in a 3rd world banana republic....hang tight.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
IMO
Tell them the next time they start that mess, you are going to just walk out.

"And what will that teach? It is okay to run away from your problems?"

Old 08-01-2008, 07:10 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Anyone out there that has a husband that has verbal fights with their teenage son and visa versa? My son is no saint but he is still a child and way too often my husband acts like one too. It's like trying to break up a fight between siblings with me in the middle trying to make sure my son doesn't push too many buttons with my husband. I am worn out trying to keep the peace. There are some calm moments but not as often as volitile. My son has legitimate reasons to resent my husband but it seems more like a power trip for my husband when he reacts to my son and says stupid and hurtful things. We are starting family therapy, again, this week because things have really escalated with destructive outbursts from my son that cannot continue. I don't know how to continue? I feel that my first impulse should be to protect my son at all costs because my husband is an "adult", bigger and should know better. Help
I have a son that is now 19 soon to be 20. When he had just turned 16 his father and I seperated and divorced. Prior to this there were many head butting incidents between the two of them. I never got involved but to play buffer after the fact and reassure my son that his dad did love him. My ex is in law enforcement and that absolutely does not help the situation because home was like an interrogation room and the uniform never ever came off. It was like the moment he became a cop, he forgot how to be a sympathetic human being and father. During our seperation even he admitted that rather than his job being a job, he had become his job.

Flash forward a bit, after the divorce I relocated and the tensions between he and my son increased. The divorce came as quite a surprise to both of our children and thus my son was struggling a bit. My ex was unable to understand the struggles our son was facing and dealt with our son in a very cold, detached and at times arrogant way. My son needed a father, what he often found was a dictator quick to point out everything he was doing wrong, but slow, if at all, to pat him on the back for something done right or to simply give an embrace and say "I love you".

The increased tension between the two of them really took it's toll on me for some time as I continued finding myself playing buffer between the two of them. It was as if constantly I was making myself responsible to ensure that my ex's relationship with is son was not permantly damaged. It would get very frustrating because I would feel like... shoot, I divorced the man and I'm still having to play buffer for him.

When my son was 17 an incident where very loud shouting (my ex doing the shouting) occured in an extremely public place. My ex practically pushed my son against a wall, got in his face, pointing his finger right between his eyes and threatening him. Mind you, this was over some precieved incident of sibling rivalry that occured between my son and my daughter, something my ex did not witness, yet even my daughter was telling her father that he was overreacting and that she caused the situation. My son however was getting all the blame and being accused of stuff he did not and would never do (i.e. hitting his sister when my son does not believe in hitting girls). This happened in front of strangers, my daughter, my ex's girlfriend and her daughter, and myself. I could see my son's face turning beet red while the tears streamed down his face and his fists were clenched at his side while he was shaking like a leaf with such hurt and anger inside him.

For a moment there I thought I was going to end up having to break up a physical fight between two men (I say men because while my son was only 17 his size was equal to that of my ex). It was a very tense moment for me. Finally my son managed to wiggle out from between the wall and my ex and shouted to his dad that he would not go for any further visits (this had occured during an exchange back from visitation).

I discussed this situation with my son and with his father. His father totally was acting like an *** and child. My son was being more mature and even, at my pushing, continued to go to visit for a couple months (every other weekend). However, while my son was trying, my ex would not. Things got worse and finally I had to put my foot down and tell my ex that I would not be forcing our son to go for visits any longer and if he wanted to know why he has such a poor relationship with his son he needed to take a good long hard look in the mirror for the answer.

My son is now 19 and about to be 20... up until about a month ago he was still trying very hard to gain his father's approval and love. Now he has simply taken an attitude of "when my father decides that he wants to be a dad to me, he knows where to find me". My ex will call our daughter almost daily, yet go months without calling or talking to our son. When called on it he says "well he doesn't call me" to which I respond "and who is the adult/parent here".

Bottom line is.. relationships between father's and son's are very difficult especially as they become teens. Often father's see a clear reflection of themselves and perhaps the things they wish they had changed about themselves and project their own dissatisfaction on their own lives upon their child. Also, father's are used to being the man in the house and as their little boys grow into their own and start becoming men themselves, some fathers feel threatened by their loss of "control" on their choices.

It is more difficult for you because you are an intact family meaning you live with this day in and day out in your home. However, I would strongly suggest that you go through with the counseling. I also suggest that some boundaries be established in the home as to what is appropriate and inappropriate behavior for both father and son. I.E. no shouting, no disrepsect, no volatile behavior from either party.

You may want to sit down and have a good long heart to heart with your husband on this. I'd suggest out of the house, maybe over a quiet dinner or something and that you express your worries and frustrations over the situation with him. Not in an accusatory manner. Perhaps approach it in the way of concern for the damage being done to their relationship as father and son. Explain that you can not continue to be faced with this situation at home. That someone has to be the adult here and he has to remember he is arguing with a 15 year old and in essence stooping to his level and thus losing his son's respect for him. Explain you are sure that is NOT what he is trying to do, but that is what the outcome is being because of how these situations are being handled. Suggest time out periods where he (the father) can say to the son, I am not discussing this with you right now, walks away and when he can deal with it in a calm collected fashion, as an adult, he can then touch on the subject again.

If you have been playing buffer, as I was, going back to your son after the incident and trying to reassure your son about his father's love or whatnot, I would also tell your husband that you are no longer going to be doing that because it is simply wearing on you. Explain that he will have to be totally responsible for his relationship with his son from this point forward, be it a good one or a bad one. But that you simply cannot continue to be put in the middle between the two of them. That you love them both, but you just can't keep it up.

I don't know if anything that I have said here has helped you at all, but do know this.... I totally understand what you are going through and feeling. I have been there, done that and it totally stinks.

I will be praying for your family and that peace may flood your home.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Thank you crazyma and mary4him. You were both very helpful in your responses.
The therapy session went very well yesterday and they were both able to express their desires and dislikes in their relationship and communication the changes they would like to see. Next week it will be the three of us.
The desire to be loved and approved of by a parent is so strong especially for a child, even when the parent is a jerk. My husband loves my son but what mary said about the father seeing things in his son that he does not like in himself is so true. My husband does project things onto my son but he knows this. My husband is going to a therapist as well but more for his own issues and ours. I have to go with him to that in a week as well. Where is my therapist? Here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting