Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times

Advertisements

a hit (meaning a closed fisted punch to the face) is one thing. a spanking/whipping whatever you wanna call it is another. some people raise kids by nurturing them. Others raise kids by being tough because life is tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
a hit (meaning a closed fisted punch to the face) is one thing. a spanking/whipping whatever you wanna call it is another. some people raise kids by nurturing them. Others raise kids by being tough because life is tough.
Okay, so would you be okay with your daughter's husband "spanking/whipping" her instead of hitting?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Either spanking works for you, or it doesn't.

My sister, brothers and I were spanked as youngin's. We all grew up to be productive members of society with good jobs and functional home lives.

My father's current step children were never spanked, mother didn't believe in it. The 2 oldest had felon records and school drop outs before they were 18 and continued their jail careers continued into adulthood. The youngest was (still is) an out of control princess that has a record of being physically violent when she doesn't get her way. All are / were addicted to drugs. I say "were" because the 2nd oldest passed from a drug overdose 2 yrs ago. All have children, the are either on the verge of being wards of the state, or have already been taken away. And the 2 remaining live off the gov't, but under 30 and perfectly able to work.

There is a difference between discipline and abuse. I am not in a position to tell another parent what best works for raising their child, but I really hope that each parent makes the best decision for their household so that my tax dollars aren't paying for that child's way as an adult.
And you think that happened because they were not spanked?

Look anecdotal evidence is meaningless, want to see why?

No one in my family was ever spanked or hit or corporal punished in anyway. None of us have been in jail or any trouble with the law, all went to college or beyond, and we are productive members of society.

That cancels out your story completely.

Additionally, Sweden is the best case study on the effect on a society choosing to NOT spank their children in anyway. They have had it be illegal to use corporal punishment since the 60s. They have far less violent crime, less teenage criminals, less prisoners, lower rates of teenage suicide and a range of other problems we are plagued with as a nation where the majority of people hit their children.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Okay, so would you be okay with your daughter's husband "spanking/whipping" her instead of hitting?
what kind of kinky sex games they play is none of my business.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:

No one in my family was ever spanked or hit or corporal punished in anyway. None of us have been in jail or any trouble with the law, all went to college or beyond, and we are productive members of society.

Additionally, Sweden is the best case study on the effect on a society choosing to NOT spank their children in anyway. They have had it be illegal to use corporal punishment since the 60s. They have far less violent crime, less teenage criminals, less prisoners, lower rates of teenage suicide and a range of other problems we are plagued with as a nation where the majority of people hit their children.
i can see that it does work also to not spank your kids but why do those that dont think that they have to make spanking illegal? if you dont want to spank your kids then dont but dont tell me or others how to raise ours.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
i can see that it does work also to not spank your kids but why do those that dont think that they have to make spanking illegal? if you dont want to spank your kids then dont but dont tell me or others how to raise ours.
I am not telling you how you raise your kids but rather trying to understand it.

Where did I say anything about what you "should" do let alone about making something illegal?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
what kind of kinky sex games they play is none of my business.
Wow, that is the most disturbing thing I have ever heard.

If someone spanked, slapped, whipped or hit my daughter in the same manner that a child is disciplined I would call the police. You seem to think it is a sex act. That is truly, deeply alarming. Does it arouse you to spank your children?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 PM

omg dont you have a sense of humor at all? what if i said my daughter was 20? besides, you said "would you be okay with your daughter's husband "spanking/whipping" her instead of hitting?" (BDSM anyone?). Besides, what "child" has a husband?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I am not telling you how you raise your kids but rather trying to understand it.

Where did I say anything about what you "should" do let alone about making something illegal?
if you were just trying to understand it then youd be open minded about it and not quoting studies from sweden or someplace about it being illegal or how you dont spank your kids.

I respect the fact that you dont spank. Thats your right. However I was spanked and any kids that I have will be spanked as well regardless of what some group of activists says.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times
Quote:

What I said was I'm not in a position to tell another parent how to raise their child. I only ask that their child does not become a burden on society because of the lack of effective parenting. There is also a big difference between discipline and abuse. Huge.

For the American society, there appears to be a big gap between children that were disciplined effectively, and those that were not. Quoting what Sweden does is a moot point; different country, economy, culture and overall laws. I am not about to tell you how to discipline your child, and I expect that you don't tell me how to discipline mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting