Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times

Advertisements

My daughter, 4, is getting a new bed... what are your thoughts on those loft beds with the dressers and desk under the bed? The one we found has ther rails on all four sides and we found the right mattress... She is only 4... I am wondering if any of you have a 4 year old in a bunk... the space saving for this would be great and she mastered the ladder like a champ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:04 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
We put our son in a bunkbed at age 3, despite the sales persons dire warnings of blood and gore (in front of him!). He was fine... loved it. We bought a really nice one that seperates and he still has it now, 5 years later, new mattress and bunkie board, but he just uses one of the beds with a trundle underneath (ceilings are too low in this rental house considering the ceiling fans).

Old 08-03-2008, 09:05 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Love bunk beds. My older boys used them. The problem I have found with some loft beds however is that they are too tall and like sskkc said could be too close to ceiling fans. Make sure you measure your room carefully. It sure wouldn't be fun to get home, build the thing and then find there is only two inches of head space available.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:10 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
I personally wouldn't put a four-year-old in the top bunk... my son fell out of bed regularly until he was about 6, and I don't know that the 4-inch or so rails would have held him in. He was on the top of a trundle bed, and we kept the bottom pulled out so that he could fall onto that, LOL. My 5-year-old very rarely falls out of bed, but she still gets up at night sometimes to climb in with us, and I don't know how she'd be navigating the ladder in the dark. You know your child best, though, with her nighttime habits.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:34 AM

324 posts, read 1,706,665 times
I think 4 is a bit young. Does she still have potty accidents? If so it is much harder to change the sheets up on a loft bed that you would think! We have a loft bed and a bunk bed, my kids weren't on the top until they were 6. It is hard for them to get up and down safely when they are tired or in the middle of the night. With that said, I really think it depends on your kiddo. If she NEVER gets up at night or has accidents, isn't prone to falling out of bed and knows how to climb up and down with no problems then maybe it is an option for you.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:04 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
I too wouldn't use a bunk bed on a child so young. I know when I bought my son a bunkbed at 6 that was because we waited until that age because the one we wanted, specifically stated not to use on a child younger than 6. And it had rails and all.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:53 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
I would look for a lower loft. They are out there and we've looked at them for the 5 year old. My eldest had a loft bed (standard) that he got around age 7 and it was TALL, so tall he would almost hit his head on the ceiling when he was moving around! I never worried about him falling out though and he never did, and he was well behaved enough to not have to worry about him jumping or fooling around dangerously. And yes, it was a huge pain to change the sheets on it. If I were to do it again (which we might with the 5 year old) I'd look for the low lofts. Especially with her, because she's not exactly the best when it comes to obedience and I fear she'd play on a tall one and get hurt.

I'm not sure where to find them but I see them all the time for sale on my local Craigslist.

If you can't find a lower loft, here's an idea: a friend of mine bought a standard (wood) one that was very expensive and fancy, got it home, and realized it was too tall! So she had a handy friend actually cut the legs off and shorten it to fit better in her daughter's room.

They are great space savers and you can do fun stuff with a loft bed, like put curtains up all around the bottom and create a 'tent' or hideaway or "reading room" with a clamp lamp attached to the legs.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif View Post
I think 4 is a bit young. Does she still have potty accidents? If so it is much harder to change the sheets up on a loft bed that you would think! We have a loft bed and a bunk bed, my kids weren't on the top until they were 6. It is hard for them to get up and down safely when they are tired or in the middle of the night. With that said, I really think it depends on your kiddo. If she NEVER gets up at night or has accidents, isn't prone to falling out of bed and knows how to climb up and down with no problems then maybe it is an option for you.
Totally trained... never falls out of bed... rarely gets up until about 6am... climbs like a champ... and the loft is not higher than a normal bunk bed

here is a pic
http://www.citymattress.com/images/products/VP-SSS_Loft_Bed.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-03-2008, 05:58 PM

261 posts, read 954,273 times
Bunkbeds are great! Our son is 6 now, but he had one at age 3. He has never fallen out of bed, either his toddler bed or the bunkbeds.

We bought him the bunkbeds to get used to heights. My parents take my son camping alot in their RV and it has a high bunk for him to sleep in. We wanted him to be comfortable climbing in and out of the bed with out being scared. We were so successful, he climbs up and down now like a champ!!

If possible, every kid should have bunk beds when growing up!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 PM

181 posts, read 631,469 times
m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting