Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think the woman definitely was overstepping her boundaries and over-reacting. But I do however don't think it was appropriate for you to have your three year old sitting half naked on a bench and wait for her brother. It seems like a humiliating experience for her….
I bet, even if this 3 yr old has seen a little boy nude, or half nude, and stood there and stared at it, she would have no idea what she's looking at! I was around a friend while she was changing her baby boy's diaper and her 4 yr old was watching. She asked her mommy if she could go get a bandaid for "Bubby". When Mommy asked why she thought Bubby needed a bandaid she said for the little cut on top of his "pee pee".
I agree that having her sit there was not anything to worry about. The only thing I would have done, if I had had something there to do it with, after the lady went off on you, was if you had a jacket or something just lay it across her lap.
The only one humiliated was probably the lady's son for his mother acting that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
gross, nothing civilized about 13 year olds topless in public. Its one thing when its in their country, when in Rome.... but I think speedo's should be confiscated at the border and tops handed out to little girls, keep your exposed pee-pee parts and dog poop over there.

My nephew, who is Italian, would remove his bathing suit immediately after coming out of our community pool and walk around naked, because that's what kids did over there so as to not catch some kind of infection. What a crazy summer running after him with a towel and dry bathing suit.

Of course, accidents happen, and I think its rather weird for that woman to have said something about a 3 year old sitting naked after an accident. Its not like she was going down the slide or on the monkey bars Poor 13 year old, what an awkward home, to have to go behind closed doors to change a diaper or give a bath.

With this type of thinking, no wonder we Americans are backwards.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:33 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
With this type of thinking, no wonder we Americans are backwards.
No we aren't. We Americans expect some cultural decency and common sense. NOBODY should be forced to look at someone nude if they don't want to. Moreover, NO CHILD should be forced to sit naked on a park bench for wetting themselves. That was wrong, and demeaning. Why any responsible parent would do that to their child is FAR beyond me.

And for the genius that mentioned a 4 year old seeing a little boys diaper changed and "she didn't know what she was looking at" but then she offered a bandaid for the cut on a "peepee". WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU??? Of course she knew what she saw, how can you even think she didn't know what she saw? Children need to know these differences EARLY, and have them reinforced often. There are too many sick, sexual predators that will prey on children, and not enough children who know the difference and it's because parents are too afraid to teach their children anything.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciJay View Post
Of course we respect her wishes and leave the park, but were quite put off by how uptight she seemed to be.

Is it not OK for a 13 year old boy to see a 3 year old girl naked?
What some people don't realize, or don't care about is that it isn't up to them what other people's children should or should not see.

So the OP strips a three year old and sits her on a park bench (Eww). It isn't up to the OP to decide that other people's 13 year old boys see her naked 3 year old girl.

Some people choose to raise their children modestly.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
Do you guys realize that this OP is two years ago?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,467 times
now that you mention it, yes lol

Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 6,784 times
I'd be mad at myself for not telling that nosy know-nothing off.

I'm not a nudist personally, but I wouldn't really care if everyone walked around naked. I think if you were to study sexual oppression, sexual crimes and so on, you will see a correlation between sexually-fueled violence, sexual oppression, and so on, and cultural shame in our own bodies. The latter of which I think is very alive in America today.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 PM

8 posts, read 6,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
What some people don't realize, or don't care about is that it isn't up to them what other people's children should or should not see.

So the OP strips a three year old and sits her on a park bench (Eww). It isn't up to the OP to decide that other people's 13 year old boys see her naked 3 year old girl.

I disagree with your perpsective entirely. If the person is so offended by their children seeing a nude body, stay inside. I don't think we need to live in a protectionist society where we give irrational parents the freedom to dictate what others can and can't do to this degree. Even if one were so irrational as to think that a nude 3 year old was a big deal, be a grown-up and tell the child to look away. Where do we draw the line between personal freedom and liberty here? Should ugly people be forced to dress in veils? I get sick to my stomach watching really fat people walk (waddle) around all day. Should we make them stay inside, you know, for the children?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:10 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:

You can raise your children according to your own value system, but everyone else is not required to tailor their choices according to what you feel is right for your own children. You don't have any more rights than any other parent (or any non-parent). When you are in your home you have almost total control over what your kids see. When your kids leave your home, they are going to see all sorts of things you'd rather they didn't. My son sees and hears things at school that I wish he didn't. But that's the price of living in a free society instead of on a desert island or in a religious cult.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,293 times
Quote:

I agree. You're in a public place. Follow the mores of the rest of the public, which in America, call for modesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting