Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I would like to find out how many people do ALL of their school shopping on their own.. what I mean by that is this....
** You do not live near family that are purchasing new shoes,backpacks,school supplies,etc for your children?
I just had a conversation the other day with a friend of mine who lives fairly close to all of her family, so the grandparents completely purchase almost everything that their children need for back to school.
We on the other hand, do not live near anyone and do purchase everything on our own...
*Raises hand*

We don't live near family and have always purchased everything for our kids. No one buys them anything like clothes, shoes or backpacks, ever.

This year we spent $20 on a new backpack, $16 for 2 new lunch boxes and less than $10 in overall supplies (we shop all the back to school sales). Now new shoes or clothes especially for school unless they are needed anyway. We did buy some new undies last week but that was less to do with school than just time to get the kids new undies. DD needed new gym shorts-$10 and DS needed an enitire gym uniform $15 for just ONE semester of PE!!! That really irritated me!!

So, we are $46 for one 8th grader and one 9th grader, adding in the gym clothes (which are required) we came in at $71.

Last year we spent only $20 for both kids, $10 school supplies and one cheap back pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:20 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
If anyone is still looking for backpacks... I just got two for my kids at Walmart on CLEARANCE for $3

They have a ton of them in my Walmart (by the Purses)...I at first thought there was no selection, but they were NOT with the back to school back packs... there were a ton of them for that price... jsut thought I would let you know in case you are still looking and as cheap as me...LOL... I get so sick of buying new backpacks.... but really they get so beat up through the year there is no way around it...

Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,943 times
This is the first year that anyone but us purchased items for my children for back-to-school.

I had a friend send my twins backpacks stuffed with school supplies. It was a BIG blessing for us this year. You saw our school list. I still had to buy about $15 per child but that was NOTHING compared to what it might have been.

Also, my twins got new school clothes from my mother-in-law. I told her that they had to get them as birthday presents because it made no sense just to buy clothes for the new school year when they have plenty. She got them stuff I wouldn't, Hannah Montana t-shirts and a couple of dresses. They were thrilled. She also got them for my Pre-K wonder but I put that away for her birthday in November.

I stated in another post that my kids have plenty of clothes. They are petite. They don't grow a lot in a year. However, now I'm looking at some shoes that I need to get for them. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting