Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:36 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I'm not sure that I can but I'll try. I read somewhere that parenthood is like having your heart leave your body and walk around in the form of your child. That feels true. I think a lot of the feelings are primal and biological...I was surprised by the intensity of my love for my children because I was mostly a matter-of-fact type of person before I became a parent.

Children can also push your buttons in ways you didn't expect. I was a bit self-righteous and judgmental toward parents until I felt for myself how angry and frustrated you can become when your children are misbehaving and defiant. It takes a lot of emotional self-control to stay calm when you have toddlers and preschoolers! Probably teenagers, too, but I haven't gotten there yet.

It is also so fascinating to see your genes expressed in this little person. My daughter is so much like me and my son is so much like his dad. There are things I thought were true about me because of my upbringing and now I have a whole new appreciation for genetics. Now I think a lot of things are just as related to DNA as socialization.

Hmm that's what scares me. Not sure if I want to see all of me in a child. There's definitely characteristics of myself that I would not want another child have. One of my friend's thinks it's so cool that her daughter is exactly like her and copies her. I just thought it was kinda weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Hmm that's what scares me. Not sure if I want to see all of me in a child. There's definitely characteristics of myself that I would not want another child have. One of my friend's thinks it's so cool that her daughter is exactly like her and copies her. I just thought it was kinda weird.
i cant speak for topaz, but i didnt mean that he copies me.
i mean he looks like me, he acts like i did as a child. and he does things i would never have done as a child. he does nothing special, and yet he amazes me. it IS a lot of work, and you do sometimes feel like things are more difficult to do because they are around. you can never leave the house again to do the smallest errand without preparation and thought.
but the truth is he has created a drive in me that didnt exist before. he makes me feel like i can accomplish things i did not have to courage to try before, he makes me live more than i did.
they are here to teach us--its not only the other way around. we are here to show them how to do things, but he has taught me so much more than i have taught him.
i didnt show him how to walk, or sit up, or stand in his crib etc. he figured all those things out.
it is he that has taught me patience, and humilty, and trust, and love--i could go on and on--just dont want to bore anyone!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:58 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Default childfree matchmaking perhaps???

hmmm...
sheenie meet wclac
wclac meet sheenie

could this be a match?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:04 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
lol crazyma. but im married already. too bad for wclac. he sure sounds like loads of fun. :P

Old 08-10-2008, 09:05 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,953 times
No thanks lady. I don't commit adultery, and I wouldn't marry woman who has or wants kids, and I'm not going to have my nerves stressed out.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:06 PM

well darn it for him...
thought you guys could grow old together childfree

Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
There are tons of ways to meet other people who don't want to be parents. Many of them are listed here:

Childfree By Choice (http://www.childfreebychoice.com/meet.htm - broken link)

Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Nice list. I'm a member in one of those groups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
There are tons of ways to meet other people who don't want to be parents. Many of them are listed here:

Childfree By Choice (http://www.childfreebychoice.com/meet.htm - broken link)

Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 PM

oh well... wclac the sky's your limit then

Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM

Crazyma, the problem is there are no girls my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting