Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:47 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times

Advertisements

I agree, and say when your son wants to go outside to play, then you go with him. Someone needs to be with him in this situation.
I would find another apt. to move too, and just get away from it altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:49 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
move
yep

moving sucks

But the kids (all of them) 'playing' together are creating a big problem...and the parents in the other family aren't much better. Sounds like the OP wants to handle the situations in a sane way. But it's hard to keep the sanity when you're dealing with the insane.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 AM

410 posts, read 1,682,407 times
Move....now

Life is too short to put up with idots...they will not change. Your kid will be damaged by staying in a hostile enviroment ... his self confidence will be lessened. They just aren't worth the effort you are giving to them. Move & be free!

In months from now.... this will be a distant memory. Most people can spawn...but not all can... parent.

Keep your chin-up...this too will pass.... Sunny

Last edited by sunny57; 08-17-2008 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
fae1978, have you spoken to your landlord about letting you out of your lease...or at the very least is there an apt. you could move to on the opposite side of the complex?

Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I think I would get my son involved in activities outside of the yard. Gymnastics, little league, anything. The parks usually have some inexpensive things going on for kids as does the YMCA. It is never just one persons/childs fault--we all know that! Keep your son busy and away from those kids and their parents. Yes, it isn't easy but it can be done. People who live in apartments have to do this often times!! Good luck!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:10 PM

193 posts, read 812,789 times
If you aren't able to move, then I would definitely agree that you should always be outside with your son while he is playing. When we lived in town I was paranoid about my kids being outside alone (they were younger than 6 at the time) so I kept a camp chair outside and would read while they played.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
You've said that you or hubby are outside with your son. Make sure that ALL of the kids can see you sitting there watching.

See if you could have some kind of conversation with the neighbors. If not, then the landlord. Let them know that it is mostly "Kids just being kids" but that you are going to be out there watching your kid at all times. That maybe the neighbor parents could do the same. The landlord could tell the neighbors that since there have been issues, they need to supervise their children when they are outside.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:25 AM

603 posts, read 2,359,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I think I would get my son involved in activities outside of the yard. Gymnastics, little league, anything. The parks usually have some inexpensive things going on for kids as does the YMCA. It is never just one persons/childs fault--we all know that! Keep your son busy and away from those kids and their parents. Yes, it isn't easy but it can be done. People who live in apartments have to do this often times!! Good luck!
If you can't move, I agree with this post-get him involved in other activities and help him make some new friends. I would avoid going outside if you can. Even if you're right there supervising, there will always be drama which you and your son don't need. It sounds like the kids and the parents have no social skills. No one wins in this situation. I hope things get better for you!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
If the landlord and neighbors agree put up motion activated video cameras. They arent too expensive. Let the kids know they are being watched and I bet the accusations will stop.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 10,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The dad deserves a punch in the face. Have you spoken to him, sounds like he has the mentality of a 6 year old himself.
It is so funny that you say this because as adult as I am trying to be, the temptation to punch him in the face is there. Of course he would just run away screaming and guess what's next? Hmm, he'd call the police. That is the most frustrating thing about this whole ordeal is he will not talk to us nor is he ever around when the supposive incidents happened. The last incident he was not even home. His son got in trouble by the landlord so when the father got home the son told him my son has thrown a rock and subsequently the police were called. That is the problem, the children know they can lie and get this huge reaction fron their father which is great for them because they get to see my son get in trouble. It's sick and I have never met people like this in my life, and believe me I have met some idiots out there. I feel bads for his kids because he is raising them to be spineless cowards who are encouraged to use others as scapegoats. Plus this guy is an EMT so he knows the police. I am simply restraining myself but my fear is that my husband will not be able to if this happens again. I hate moving but I may have no choice. thanks for the response!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting