Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:45 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,347 times

Advertisements

This has been happening to my hubby and I recently. We've been making an effort to widen our circle of friends this summer. We have two couples that we really like - but we can't stand the kids. We have 4 children - 17 down to six and they are not angels by any means - but they do not embarrass us when we go places and people seem to like them. I realize every child has his/her moments and you can't base an opinion on one time - but what do you do when you like hanging with the adults - but the kids are awful? Or the kids are running wild and the parents just smile and watch?
We've tried the adults only angle - but not everyone can do that. Does this happen to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
What I've learned is that it's tough to match up perfectly with other complete families. It's either an inconvenient or intolerable relationship. You will either be running in different directions with your lives to the point that it's not worth the effort or either the adults or the children won't get along.

It was so much easier to make friends as a single guy before I got married. LOL

Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Yep, and it is such a sticky mess to be in! I have a six children and I have to say, theya re really good kids. They are not perfect by any means but they are polite, get along well with adults and other children. I have a good friend who has raised a child who is constantly in front of the tv playing games or watching tv. He is also a whiner. Not only do we as parents cringe at the thought of seeing this child, my children do too.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Yep, and it is such a sticky mess to be in! I have a six children and I have to say, theya re really good kids. They are not perfect by any means but they are polite, get along well with adults and other children. I have a good friend who has raised a child who is constantly in front of the tv playing games or watching tv. He is also a whiner. Not only do we as parents cringe at the thought of seeing this child, my children do too.
Sounds like my nephew in Jersey.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:01 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
I say just be lucky to have a few families that mesh well. I only have ONE friend with kids whom get along with my kids perfectly...So we just see them the MOST!!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:12 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
If we were only friends with people whose children we like as much as we like the parents, we wouldn't have many friends!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
So true! We have a ton of friends that their kids drive me nuts! But the good thing is, all the kids get along, and that is what matters. It is impossible to match that many personalities together.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
I always have the opposite problem: love the kids, can't stand the parents. Actually there are no kids in this world that I can't stand.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
This makes me think of one couple I'm friends with. Their kids are actually distructive. They are fighting (actually punching, ect) with eachother constantly, and every time they come over they break something. These aren't little kids either! They're in middle school!!! My kids don't like the kids, either. So I just see the parents when we can get together without kids, or try to!!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love the Bears View Post
This has been happening to my hubby and I recently. We've been making an effort to widen our circle of friends this summer. We have two couples that we really like - but we can't stand the kids. We have 4 children - 17 down to six and they are not angels by any means - but they do not embarrass us when we go places and people seem to like them. I realize every child has his/her moments and you can't base an opinion on one time - but what do you do when you like hanging with the adults - but the kids are awful? Or the kids are running wild and the parents just smile and watch?
We've tried the adults only angle - but not everyone can do that. Does this happen to anyone else?
I see where you are coming from but then again I also see it as sort of condescending to the adults you consider your friends.

If they are truly your friends, you take the good with the bad.

Your point is very valid. At the same time, the point is a little immature.

Instead of finding fault, maybe just be grateful you have what you have in your children. What if you were in their boat & this was being written about your kids?

As for parents that just sit there while their children are monsters & do nothing about it...if that's the case, that says something about them & thus I would question the purpose of the friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting