Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: great schools, education teacher.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times

Advertisements

We just moved from Michigan to North Carolina. I will have three kids in school. Two of my kids are 6 months apart as they were both adopted. THey will both be in 1st grade. THey are a boy and girl and do well together with no problems they have been in the same class since preschool. When I registered them I asked to have them in the same class. I was told I would have to put it in writing and give a reason? What. I did and the principal called and said it cant be done as the classes are set. I just registered them last week. I'm mad she left a message and I called her back but couldn't connect. I had no idea this would be a big deal. I stated that this school is new this area is new and I feel that it would be helpful to them to be together. Also having worked in schools before I know each teacher has a different style of teaching and I didn't want to position that I may like one teacher over the other, then wish that my other child had that teacher. One teacher one way. My daughter is very upset and crying as I think she is scared to start a new school and not have her brother there. Anyone else had this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
We just moved from Michigan to North Carolina. I will have three kids in school. Two of my kids are 6 months apart as they were both adopted. THey will both be in 1st grade. THey are a boy and girl and do well together with no problems they have been in the same class since preschool. When I registered them I asked to have them in the same class. I was told I would have to put it in writing and give a reason? What. I did and the principal called and said it cant be done as the classes are set. I just registered them last week. I'm mad she left a message and I called her back but couldn't connect. I had no idea this would be a big deal. I stated that this school is new this area is new and I feel that it would be helpful to them to be together. Also having worked in schools before I know each teacher has a different style of teaching and I didn't want to position that I may like one teacher over the other, then wish that my other child had that teacher. One teacher one way. My daughter is very upset and crying as I think she is scared to start a new school and not have her brother there. Anyone else had this situation.
#1) When did you write the letter & send it in?
#2) Did you do any follow-up?
#3) When did the principal call?
#4) Have you asked to personally sit down with the principal to explain the situation?

It's not about you liking the teachers, it's about the relationship your children have with the teacher. It will be an adjustment but not one that is impossible to overcome.

Life would be great if everything could go as plan & be convienent for our own personal needs, but sometimes it's just not that way.

You need to see if you can personally talk with the principal.

Your request is not unusual & it may not be possible for the school to do what you would prefer. Join the other 50% who are asking for teacher requests for every reason under the sun. Please don't take this comment personally, but it's true...that principal will have heard every reason & has to figure out how to handle all the requests. It can be daunting. A good principal is diplomatic & will know how to handle it.

But you will not know unless you get this matter resolved in person rather than phone tag, etc.

It's unfortunate your dd is struggling with the separation & I hope something positive comes of this for your children.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
I am not a teacher or a principal. But I am a mother and it would really tick me off too. I personally do not care that other people are making requests. I am concerned about my own. It comes with the territory of being a principal to handle these kinds of things and to do it in a diplomatic way.

That being said, I do think that your children will be fine. They will still be in the same school and it may actually be good that they are in different classes. They will need to learn to be individual eventually. But, it can break your heart to see your daughter so upset. Makes us, as parents, want to do all we can to avoid them being in pain. But we can't always do that and that is a good lesson too. Six years old is tough, but it doesn't get much better, you will always feel their pain. The older they get the bigger their pain can be.

I would definitely talk to the principal, find out their reasons and ask enough questions until you are fully satisfied. Then, if you cannot change it, I would turn to trying to make your daughter more comfortable. Tell her that most of her classmates will be going without their siblings too.

Good luck with everything!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
IMO-
If I were you I would show up at the school tomorrow morning or ASAP and ask to meet with the principal. And politely say you would be willing to wait if need be, but it is important. I'd be willing to bet they could shift one over to the other's class.
The classes aren't THAT set...there are always kids being registered late, or moving & new to the school.

Since you are in a new place and school, if this issue is important to you and your children, then I hope it will be as equally important to the principal when you show up in person about it. I think your reasons are valid.
good luck

Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Yes, I would definitely say that it would make a difference if you weren't new to the school. But your children are having to deal with a move, a new school, a whole new culture (and accent). I know the principle is busy, but he/she needs to make time for the new parent in town (well, maybe there are always a lot of new parents in town...). But if it still doesn't work out, ask for some suggestions on how to prepare your kids for the transition. I think going in beforehand so that they can meet their teacher, and more importantly, meet the other one's teacher and see where each sibling will be will help. It might make your daughter feel better if she knew her brother was in the classroom next door.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
IMO-
If I were you I would show up at the school tomorrow morning or ASAP and ask to meet with the principal. And politely say you would be willing to wait if need be, but it is important. I'd be willing to bet they could shift one over to the other's class.
The classes aren't THAT set...there are always kids being registered late, or moving & new to the school.

Since you are in a new place and school, if this issue is important to you and your children, then I hope it will be as equally important to the principal when you show up in person about it. I think your reasons are valid.
good luck
I agree - I think you will get better results by showing up in person.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times
I did all that you all have said. I put it in writting and e-mailed and explain the situation and why we wanted them in the same claSS. I did recieve a call from the principal an she said it wasn't possible because the cards were in the mail placing children in classes. THey have some open house this Friday as school starts Monday. She did say I could call her back if I wanted to discuss the reasons why and I did and as of today she hasn't returned . I was a parapro for 5 years and I know that class lists can be change all the time. I also know if kids come into the school to inroll now they would have to put them in a classroom. I find it hard to believe that there wasn;t two spots in one 1st grade class. What would they do if twins came in. I just feel my kids need to see each other in the claassroom as they are new to everything. If this was their old school it may not be a big deal. THey are not a issue together actually they do go their seperate ways in te classroom , I just think my daughter who is kind of quite just wants to know her brother is there. She talks about this all the time since I explained that she may be in a seperate class.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Kids really are so adaptable - I think certain things pain us more as parents than it does the kids. While I'm sure being in the same room the first few days may be good - in the long run it might be better for them to be separate, especially the older they get. That first week might be hard, but I would almost bet that by the second it was no big deal to them.
They have a long school career ahead of them. They are not always going to be able to be in the same class and you will always have to be able to adjust to different teachers teaching styles. Along the way they will have teachers they don't like and you don't like.....just wait until they hit middle school and have a different teacher for each class.
I understand your concern....we moved to a new new school, new house, new state about 1 month AFTER school had started, when my son was just starting kindergarten. At that age, they get into the groove quickly and are able to manage. I really do think it's harder on us as parents. Believe me - he started high school this week. I know I was nervous and worried for him (I remember how scary that is) and I'm pretty sure he picked up on that. But he's having a great week....

Good luck! I'm sure it will all turn out fine. Maybe once you get up to the school you'll get a better feel for what's going on.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Forget the phone and email dear, and go to the school IN PERSON

Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I don't think a postcard is a binding contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting